PDA

View Full Version : what to do to a motor that has been sitting for a couple years...

Squishy
11-07-2010, 03:00 PM
anyone have any suggestions? thinking about the motor in the buggy, it may have even been since 07 or so since that motor has ran, no clue if there is oil in it or anything....

ill pull the dist. and turn the oil pump over with a drill until it builds pressure before i start it, but should i be filling the motor with wd40 and turning it over by hand then draining it?

hoping i dont have to pull the motor and hone/ rering/bearing it.....

epic3
11-07-2010, 04:37 PM
has it been stored in a dry location or uncovered outdoors? Typically I pull the plugs and shoot a little diesel into the cylinders and pour motor oil over the rockers and down the push rod tubes to lube the cam befor turning it over by hand then spin up the oil pump to make sure its got pressure and flow to the top of the motor then fire away.

Nutbar
11-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I agree with Phillis.
Also good idea to do an oil change before you prime it up. Check the status of the fuel as well if it smells old and stale your best off to drain it and change the filters. Deisel, ATF, wd 40 will all work as cylinder clean/lube.

barracuda
11-07-2010, 07:13 PM
remove the sparkplugs and pour approx 8 oz of heated butter down each cyl. reinstall plugs.

remove valve covers and smear one tub of margerine on each side.

now that you have taken care of the cylinders and valves pour a gallon of warm Tallow to the crankcase.

prime intake manifold 1ltr of favourite hairspary

if the engine doesnt fire up right away ignore what i have posted :party0010:

oh yeah

kootenaycat
11-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Definitely prime the lube system before firing up. Wouldn't hurt to put a shot of oil in the spark plug holes but if there's any moisture/rust in the top end the damage is already done, besides the shot of oil won't cover the entire top ring. Fire her up and hope for the best

Apathy
11-07-2010, 08:59 PM
I agree with Phillis.
Also good idea to do an oil change before you prime it up. Check the status of the fuel as well if it smells old and stale your best off to drain it and change the filters. Deisel, ATF, wd 40 will all work as cylinder clean/lube.

this....

I use ATF personally.[cheers]

4skin
11-07-2010, 09:54 PM
[stupid] atf is a hi detergent and will help lossen up rings etc
and if your priming it with a drill turn motor over about a 1/4 turn prime repeat same as priming new motor before initial fire up[cheers]

mini
11-07-2010, 10:00 PM
your not actually going to get that thing workign are you ???

ShuswapRedneck
11-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I'd try to turn it over by hand first, to make sure the rings haven't seized to the cylinder walls. Use ATF, let it sit, then put a breaker bar on the crank and give it a turn. If it's free, then change the oil, fuel/filter, prime it, etc

dirka dave
11-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Don't be such a pussy.

turn the key, see what happens.

[36]

barracuda
11-08-2010, 10:08 AM
i dont think sitting idle in a controlled seal enviroment is gonna be a problem for you . engines sit for years all the time.

freshin the oil prime it and spray some stuff in the cylinder and turning over by hand a dozen times.

dirka dave
11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I have started engines that have been sitting outside for years..

Check oil, have a good batt, BE LIGHT ON THE KEY !

crank it over by hand if you feel the need.

GET ER DONE !!

epic3
11-08-2010, 11:35 AM
is it started yet

Squishy
11-12-2010, 12:10 PM
remove the sparkplugs and pour approx 8 oz of heated butter down each cyl. reinstall plugs.

remove valve covers and smear one tub of margerine on each side.

now that you have taken care of the cylinders and valves pour a gallon of warm Tallow to the crankcase.

prime intake manifold 1ltr of favourite hairspary

if the engine doesnt fire up right away ignore what i have posted :party0010:

oh yeah

salted or un salted?[22]

not started yet, it sat in the b2 for a couple years with the hood up then under a tarp outside and now its in a dry shop...

epic3
11-12-2010, 12:35 PM
hood up for two years thats way worst then the year my scout hood stayed up and my motor managed to get about 4 gallons of rain water in the cylinders and crankcase.