PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tcase

Lieutenant Johnson
11-04-2010, 01:35 PM
So was going to drop my tcase tomorrow or Saturday in Langley . Never done it before and was hoping someone would like to help for Pizza and some goodies :dontknow:

I can get dirty and you can just instruct , just feel a little put off doing it by myself for the first time.
I want to see if it is a linkage or the fork that is just messed up. Hoping to get a Np241 from RUBI this week , if not just put in another NP231.

The Tcase will not shift from 4low to 4hi or 2wd. Both front/rear driveshafts had to be pulled as the Tcase had a big Clunk after tire rotation with them in . just a little background on whats happening

thanks in advance[cheers]

England
11-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Now if we get sarcastic ..will you get all upset ????....just asking in advance LOL

Lieutenant Johnson
11-04-2010, 02:04 PM
hahahahah.... let the sarcasm fly with a little help mixed in would be nice!...just be able to take it as well!!
for the record , was never upset ...laughing the whole time ...was just dishing it back

BushWhackXJ
11-04-2010, 02:37 PM
sorry i dont live close enough, but you can always call me if you are stuck. i will PM you my phone number.

a few tips:
- During Dissassembly, place each removed part/ bolt/Snap-ring etc in order on the bench left to right. then during install, just work backwords down the bench right to left. then nothing will be forgotten.

- you may need to buy a new rear shaft seal, and rear slinger depending on how bad you mangle them on removal.

- the rear housing and case halves have special slots to pry them apart, dont pry them from anywhere else.. aluminum.. be gentle :)

-the oil pump can be a PITA to connect at the end. so dont try to remove it. split the case halves and slide it off with the backhalf.... i would tape it to the back case half ( the only way to be sure that the pump tube and inlet screen are connected and in the right spot is to leave them there and or deal with them with the case halves apart)

- have fun.. and dont rush it.... i rushed once, and ended up spltting it back up 2 more times to check the oil pump pickup was in its slot,and to install a snap ring i had forgotten. took a lot longer

you tube might help you out there... Note the taped oil pump when he installs the case halves. cheers, and good luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hGpjCAkOvk

England
11-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Good to hear mate ..without thick skin you wouldnt last to long here LOL ..bunch of arse holes but ...they can be helpfull....sometimes LOL

mus-Tard
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
well arnt you needy

Lieutenant Johnson
11-04-2010, 02:46 PM
sorry i dont live close enough, but you can always call me if you are stuck. i will PM you my phone number.

a few tips:
- During Dissassembly, place each removed part/ bolt/Snap-ring etc in order on the bench left to right. then during install, just work backwords down the bench right to left. then nothing will be forgotten.

- you may need to buy a new rear shaft seal, and rear slinger depending on how bad you mangle them on removal.

- the rear housing and case halves have special slots to pry them apart, dont pry them from anywhere else.. aluminum.. be gentle :)

-the oil pump can be a PITA to connect at the end. so dont try to remove it. split the case halves and slide it off with the backhalf.... i would tape it to the back case half ( the only way to be sure that the pump tube and inlet screen are connected and in the right spot is to leave them there and or deal with them with the case halves apart)

- have fun.. and dont rush it.... i rushed once, and ended up spltting it back up 2 more times to check the oil pump pickup was in its slot,and to install a snap ring i had forgotten. took a lot longer

you tube might help you out there... Note the taped oil pump when he installs the case halves. cheers, and good luck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hGpjCAkOvk

Sweet! thanks alot for taking the time to write this up . much appreciated ..wish me luck. Seems like a bunch on BCJeep club are willing to come and help .. even one is willing to tow it to his shop ... so will update you as I go . Still if anyone is not doing anything fri/sat and likes to each pizza and smoke cheech and chongs come by and lend a hand[cheers]

England... thats why I am still on here... when I first started I got treated like a bag of trash and had to "earn my keep " so to say .. so definetly know how to take and give it to these internet shit starters ..heheheh:hitler:

Lieutenant Johnson
11-04-2010, 02:53 PM
well arnt you needy

Stop whoring the post :mad0215:

mus-Tard
11-04-2010, 05:12 PM
:party0010:

Lieutenant Johnson
11-07-2010, 02:26 PM
ended up being my Planetary gears shredded inside and chucked metal down the fork , stopped it from moving on spline to shift!!
Started by someone who installed my SYE (no names at this point) pinched the Rubber Oring around the speedo gear. Part of it was missing which caused a shit load of water into the Tcase ... looked like strawberry milk my fluid.

so hoping for the best call tomorrow when my Rubi comes in to swap Tcase OR looking for a NP231 ..damn I need to get back on the road

harvester_sorrow
11-07-2010, 11:49 PM
So not an easy trail fix. Just a good excuse for the 4:1.

Lieutenant Johnson
11-08-2010, 10:27 AM
That would have been 3 hours taking it apart , just to get towed back anyways!!

Happypants
11-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I gotta 231 with a sye just sitting on the shelf in my shop :D

Lieutenant Johnson
11-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Is it for a Jeep 4.0 TJ ?? Cherokee won't fit Nick....I may have my 241 coming through today or tomorrow..

plus the place that did the SYE is asking , "what I want from them to make it right" , so will talk to the owner tomorrow and show him pics and the broken oring and tell him I want him to tow to his shop (4 min away) and install used 231 and put sye back in for FREE to fix my shit