PDA

View Full Version : BIRF OR CV

SHITTY
10-15-2010, 01:34 PM
if it is my birf or cv does anyone know a good place to get them ? i have a good connection at lordco. or do i have to go to a 4x4 shop or a dealer?

does any one know how much they cost ?

should i go with a longfield birf if i need to replace it ?

homeboy
10-15-2010, 01:49 PM
talk to taran or matt at bcc ( 604-853-2896 )

or talk to Bryson at jeep thrills might be a bit closer to you.

BCC has 30 spline longs on shelf I'm sure and hub gears if you want as well

and yes get longs or they might have dirty 30's on shelf if you wanna cheap out.

if you wanna do the birf yourself this may help

http://www.lukemiller.org/toys/1985_toyota_4wd_front_axle_FSM.pdf

Apathy
10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
if it is my birf or cv does anyone know a good place to get them ? i have a good connection at lordco. or do i have to go to a 4x4 shop or a dealer?

does any one know how much they cost ?

should i go with a longfield birf if i need to replace it ?

which is it? a birf or your CV?

Your toyota will have both. (cv on drive shaft), (birf in the closed knuckle)

SHITTY
10-15-2010, 02:10 PM
thanks i called north shore off road dirty thirtys from trail gear are all out of stock from factory . ill call bcc and see what they have thanks[cheers]

SHITTY
10-15-2010, 02:11 PM
which is it? a birf or your CV?

Your toyota will have both. (cv on drive shaft), (birf in the closed knuckle)

birf in knuckle

Apathy
10-15-2010, 02:40 PM
cool.

the longfields will pay for themselves.
I am not a toyota guy, but i would not put any other aftermarket axle in a toyota other than a longfield.

He has teh best product, and his customer service is second to none.

dirka dave
10-15-2010, 03:27 PM
cool.

the longfields will pay for themselves.
I am not a toyota guy, but i would not put any other aftermarket axle in a toyota other than a longfield.

He has teh best product, and his customer service is second to none.

I may be wrong, but with the longs. dont you need to upgrade a bunch of other stuff ?? studs ??

With the TG stuff I don't think you have to.

They are a bit cheaper and I believe they have a distributor in Victoria or Nanimo.

homeboy
10-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I may be wrong, but with the longs. dont you need to upgrade a bunch of other stuff ?? studs ??

They are a bit cheaper and I believe they have a distributor in Victoria or Nanimo.

the birf design from trail gear is a copy cat it's the same deal just longs are proven to withstand more twist and torque and no bullshit guarantee with out being the original purchaser or no matter which locker is used. I have had issue claiming warranty on parts I bought from trail gear with life time guarantees and swear by longfields customer service.

the only time I found knuckle or hub studs where needed where in hydro assist setups due to the excess force produced on the knuckle studs,Hence trail gears 6 shooter product line.

due to the over size on the bell you need to grind out the inside of the knuckle ball to prevent binding and damage due to the new larger bell, with both longfield and trail gear 30 spline birfs.

both trail gear and longfield suggest hub gears when installing these products due to the next weak link is now the stock hub gears, I've installed both longfield 30 spline shafts and hub gears is my truck and love them.

the hub gears can also allow you to go to IFS hubs and you can ditch the wheel spacers, no more sheering spacer studs!

http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/product_images/HOW_TO_INSTALL_YOUR_LONGFIELDS.pdf

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482812&page=2

dirka dave
10-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Good links there..

SHITTY
10-15-2010, 05:51 PM
good info thanks . i called bcc and thay have some birfs 27 spline stocker for 50 bucks . easy fix but not long lasting i want to go with bigger and better but the wallet won't let me

homeboy
10-15-2010, 05:58 PM
good info thanks . i called bcc and thay have some birfs 27 spline stocker for 50 bucks . easy fix but not long lasting i want to go with bigger and better but the wallet won't let me

you running a front locker?

4skin
10-15-2010, 07:07 PM
was talking to some body about this longfield hub gear longfield dosnt like to warranty outers with stripped off splines if you dont run there outer hub gear
the stock one is a different hardness and wears out
when it strips it wipes out axle splines
correct me if im wrong some beers were drank before and during conversation[cheers]

TWOZEROFOUR
10-15-2010, 07:19 PM
im running Tg "stronger than stock" cheap as fuck and i shitt kick my truck.

just steering stops adjusted correctly and re torque knuckle studs every now and then
im 5.29 n 35's any they have been holding up awesome [36]

4skin
10-15-2010, 07:25 PM
dirkas still got originals in his 82 with a arb on 37fsr's
but hard to break stuff on a fsr lol

homeboy
10-15-2010, 07:35 PM
was talking to some body about this longfield hub gear longfield dosnt like to warranty outers with stripped off splines if you dont run there outer hub gear
the stock one is a different hardness and wears out
when it strips it wipes out axle splines
correct me if im wrong some beers were drank before and during conversation[cheers]

he will warranty the birf if the bell or cage broke but if you strip the splines off the outer due to a stock hub gear he won't, trail gear might replace the birf with stock hub gears ( I'm not sure if they will or not ) but you will still have to buy new hub gears after you blew it up.

why keep a 20 plus year old hub gear when upgrading your front axle in the first place? you just don't, that is my take on it.

for the extra 60$ a side why mess with the best warranty in my front axle?

as far as I'm concerned Bobby long even offering a exchangeable warranty on his products no matter who purchased them with out a receipt is amazing.

I've seen more broke ring and pinions then exploded or striped longs.

Might be a good read

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880907&highlight=longfield+warranty

homeboy
10-15-2010, 07:39 PM

I broke a stock birf with spooled front shattered it like nothing, running a arb may help him since he can turn it on and off whenever he wants it, regardless its a time bomb.

oh and a suggestion to the Original poster, chances are you will need a new inner axle seal, get one or cry when you start seeing gear oil puke out pass the wiper.

4skin
10-15-2010, 09:48 PM
ive got stock ones in my runner with 4'10s 33 inch km2 running a doubler t case havent broke them yet
seem to hold up with 36 and under tires ive ran 38'swampers on stock toy diffs broke ring gears cariers never broke birfields
but my 82 was brand new when i started beating it lol
it also got torn apart and cleaned and repacked once a year

dirka dave
10-16-2010, 09:15 AM

My truck is made of magic steel !!

:D

B
10-16-2010, 09:23 AM
My truck is made of magic steel !!

:D

it's called rust [22]

and it's magically getting thinner as we type :D

Trooper
10-16-2010, 11:47 AM
The longs are MUCH softer then the toyota ones so they will yeild before breaking. With my longs I nitrided the splines and ring gears. No wear at all in 80000km on a landcruiser with AWD. Bobby should be nitriding the splines on all of them.

SHITTY
10-17-2010, 10:23 AM
you running a front locker?

i do not have a front locker. i have 5;29s warn hubs and running 36x13.5 irocs. i want ed original hubs but mine blew apart and i couldn't find a set of used ones i know they are the best but i had to go with wut i could get

gavman
10-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Great thread, stickyable I thinks[36] especially with the links to pirate

homeboy
10-17-2010, 11:34 AM
i do not have a front locker. i have 5;29s warn hubs and running 36x13.5 irocs. i want ed original hubs but mine blew apart and i couldn't find a set of used ones i know they are the best but i had to go with wut i could get

well thats a problem, the stock hubs are designed for trail gear and longfields hub gear and don't work with the warns ( as far as I know ).

I suggest calling bobby or trail gear directly or talk to BCC if you decided to upgrade your front axle.

SHITTY
10-17-2010, 10:07 PM
well thats a problem, the stock hubs are designed for trail gear and longfields hub gear and don't work with the warns ( as far as I know ).

I suggest calling bobby or trail gear directly or talk to BCC if you decided to upgrade your front axle.

ah kool didn't know that . i will call to find out . but i think i may just get stockers for now . as i would love to upgrade it all but i can't afford it . later on down the blown up road

Apathy
10-18-2010, 08:11 AM

you hae to buy his hub gears as well to get the good warranty.

the problem is, the stock hub gears strip out and damage the splines on the longs. If you get his hub gears this wikll not happen.

its a package deal. call him up, tell him you want 30 splines and hub gears.