PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure low when Hot

Lieutenant Johnson
10-13-2010, 06:33 PM
So recently after I overheated and then did a complete Rad/Engine flush my Oil Pressure is normal around the city driving and highway. As soon as I hit the trails and drive for about 1/2 hour and get er hot, the pressure drops down past a 1/4 and sometime to 0 for a moment . Not only till I start moving OR give it some throttle to raise the RPMS the oil pressure goes up??

Any ideas. I have read that the sending units sometime go on the fritz ?

need to get a handle on this asap . So any help is appreciated ...it did not do this AT ALL in the past (regular oil changes every 2500-3000k) so stumped http://www.bcjeepclub.ca/Smileys/default/taunt003.gif
97 TJ 4.0l manual trans 150k

4skin
10-13-2010, 09:41 PM
done a oil change since over heating it oil could be breaking down
do oil change and dont use fram ive had several fail and cause same thing

Happypants
10-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Ya fram filters are shit, I prefer the good ol' fashoned white motomaster filters

mus-Tard
10-13-2010, 10:43 PM
FUCK MOTOMASTER! purolator filters man

4skin
10-13-2010, 10:52 PM
[36] [36] FUCK MOTOMASTER! purolator filters man
funny motomaster was better guality internaly than fram your still pissed cambodian tire wouldnt fix your bicycle lol:dontknow:

Happypants
10-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Bahahahahhaha, fuck sakes Bruce, sooo true! :D

Moondog
10-13-2010, 11:27 PM
:dontknow: I have always used Fram oil filters never had a problem

Tunabomber
10-13-2010, 11:44 PM
i dunno about your jeep but mine has always been like that

i keep my oil so clean its hard to tell what the drops are on the pavement

always 3/4 at start up till warm then drops to 1/4 or even a little less but always shoots back up with a little push on the skinny pedal:dontknow:

Lieutenant Johnson
10-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Heard that too about the Fram filters and the oil after overheating. Thanks for all the advice. Will do oil change on Thursday and will prob just do the sending unit at the same time Hopefully fix er finally
Cheers [cheers]

and Tuna thanks .. makes me feel better that someone elses Jeep does it
Guess it's a Jeep thing:dontknow:

4skin
10-14-2010, 12:31 AM
:dontknow: are your shacles bent to:D

Tinker
10-14-2010, 09:56 AM
My last 4L was the same way would read zero when hot at idle and a touch of throttle and right back up it would go. After changing the mill I do not have the same problem. A buddy of mine has a mechanical pressure gauge under the hood so he is doubly confident about oil pressure cause his electrical oil pressure gauge doesn't read accurately

85chevy
10-14-2010, 10:25 AM
Purolator all the way Wakefield sperling in langley cut up 3 filters a Fram, Purolator regular, and a Purolator Pure One..... never would I run a fram again cardboard inside is what sums it up. Only reason people use them is because of the advertising u see it every where so u assume they are good when they are crap. Sounds like Jeep has a crappy oil sending unit for there pressure gauge.

Apathy
10-14-2010, 10:52 AM
use wix filters.
If you can't get them, get Napa filters, they are made by wix

Fram and puralator are garbage.

dirka dave
10-14-2010, 02:46 PM
i dunno about your jeep but mine has always been like that

i keep my oil so clean its hard to tell what the drops are on the pavement

always 3/4 at start up till warm then drops to 1/4 or even a little less but always shoots back up with a little push on the skinny pedal:dontknow:

Thats cuz you never drive the damm thing !:eek:

Sounds to me like your oil pump is on its way out.

Yep Pathy, wix are good filters.

Chopstick
10-14-2010, 08:38 PM
your oil sensor might be broken. if your so worried about oil pressure (i would be worried) check your sensor or replace your oil pump, they aren;t rediculous in prices just a bitch to get too kinda

dirka dave
10-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Do you have a mechanical guage you can put into an oil port ?

Lieutenant Johnson
10-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Dave. No I don't have a mech gauge. I am doing oil change today, first since I overheated twice and replaced my rad and flushed. My oil is looking super thin and maybe contaminated. Then do my pressure sending unit. Test er out and will report

Thanks for all the tips. Wish me luck!

WagoneerXJ
10-15-2010, 09:22 PM
run a FORD Motorcraft FL1-A filter. Better quality stuff. It's the equivalent of the PH8A. Which will fit in place of the PH16 that are for the jeeps. I use the big ones all the time
:)

old codger
10-16-2010, 08:18 AM
I just read all the comments on overheating oil etc but nobody suggested changing your thermostat!!, that would have been my first thought after flushing the Rad etc. Just my 2 bits!.

old codger
10-16-2010, 09:18 AM
So recently after I overheated and then did a complete Rad/Engine flush my Oil Pressure is normal around the city driving and highway. As soon as I hit the trails and drive for about 1/2 hour and get er hot, the pressure drops down past a 1/4 and sometime to 0 for a moment . Not only till I start moving OR give it some throttle to raise the RPMS the oil pressure goes up??

Any ideas. I have read that the sending units sometime go on the fritz ?

need to get a handle on this asap . So any help is appreciated ...it did not do this AT ALL in the past (regular oil changes every 2500-3000k) so stumped http://www.bcjeepclub.ca/Smileys/default/taunt003.gif
97 TJ 4.0l manual trans 150k

old codger
10-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Another 2 bits worth, when you fushed your rad etc, did you check your bottom hose?, over the years i've had to change lower hoses due to the inner rubber seperating from fabric & outer rubber causing loss of coolant
circulation!,

UU
10-16-2010, 09:25 AM
My tampons also make good oil filters

:D

Lieutenant Johnson
10-16-2010, 11:21 PM
Thermostat was changed with new RAd of course.

Anyways problem solved. Changed oil and Oil pressure sending unit and I am good to go !! Spent the day on sylvester rd today was perfect. Thanks god

Thanks for all the advice [cheers]

dirka dave
10-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Nicks tampons also make good oil filters

But he uses them all month long, so good luck getting one.:p

Happypants
10-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Woooooow!