PDA

View Full Version : Help setting up gearsets...

Andres629
10-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Looking for someone to A) set up a front and rear gearset, or B) take a weekend and help show me how. I know maybe not the funnest thing to do, but I've never done one before, and figure if someone wants a little extra cash, I'd much appreciate it. OR, I'll supply beer and I'll help. I'd prefer to help, but if you'd rather do it on your own that's cool by me. Axles are a rear Ford 8.8 Trac-Lok, front it a Dana 35 TTB with an Aussie Locker going in. Axles are not in the unit, so that makes it much easier. I know I'm kind of new around here, but I figure I'll give it a shot anyway! Thanks for looking!

Tinker
10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Not a fun job by any means! Don't think anybody will do it out of the kindnest of their hearts or fer beer thats fer sure! Take it to a shop and pay to have it installed and it will be done correctly by a trained proffessional and you can have some confidence that it was done correctly and you won't be redoing it in 6 months! And I say all of this from experience $1000 boo boos suck ass!

crazylike
10-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Most shops won't even do it with the axels out because they need so much torque to tightent the pinion nut thats its actually easier for them to do when in the truck. it cost me 1500 for my front d60 thats was at budget brake in westbank

tchevy
10-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Most shops won't even do it with the axels out because they need so much torque to tightent the pinion nut thats its actually easier for them to do when in the truck. it cost me 1500 for my front d60 thats was at budget brake in westbank

i will take it outof the truck anyday over in the vehicle. no problems. but in on the coast. good luck to ya.

Andres629
10-14-2010, 02:56 PM
ahh crap, that's what I figured. I don't want to take it to a shop, I have front AND rear to do... Maybe someone feels like some extra cash...

Happypants
10-14-2010, 08:22 PM
If u can get your old bearings off the carrier and pinion, hone them out so they cam be put on/off by hand, ur gonna
Need a micrometer and 2 torque wrenches, a foot pounds one an a inch pounds one, all I can tell ya is if u get a book with it, read it and use it as a guide to set it up, a good place to start is with the original shims that u have and go from there, THEN use ur new shims and bearings after u figure out your pinion depth and backlash,

Andres629
10-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the tips! Any help is appreciated?

Happypants
10-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Sorry can't, stripping jeep right now,

Andres629
10-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Haha, sorry, that was meant to be a period. I was on my iPod when I wrote that. My fingers are much to fat to use that tiny little keyboard.

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
10-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey bud we will talk later next week. I work for cash.....

dirka dave
10-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Sorry can't, stripping jeep right now,

That sounds dirty.