PDA

View Full Version : brake pads replacement question

Honky
09-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Ok I know this is going to sound like a newbie question but this is the first time replacing brakes on the WhoreJ (rear Dana44 with a disk conversion)

Pretty standard break replacement…although I had to replace one caliper as I broke off a seized Bleeder valve.

Question:
The Caliper has a standard piston (from a Cadillac Eldorado) although as I figured out it spins out rather than a straight push out. Here is the odd part. The brake pad that goes against the piston on the back side has a nipple or a nub. Because of this the pad does NOT sit flat on the piston, it sits high on one side so the only contact on the piston is the nipple and the other edge of the pad. The old pads did not have this nipple on the pad.

85chevy
09-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Sounds like the wrong pads to me either someone mixed up the part numbers or packed them in the wrong box.

Happypants
09-23-2010, 09:41 AM
bust out the grinder and cut it off then,

on my chevy when i do the rear brakes i have to grind off a little knob thing on the rear pad as well on both sides or it sits fucky,

or could be the wrong maxi pads all together...i mean brake pads...

Apathy
09-23-2010, 09:41 AM
hmmmm.. i'd take the nipple off if i were me. the piston should sit flush on the pad, or you will point load it.

however, ive neve worked on those eldorado calipers

Honky
09-23-2010, 09:45 AM
The pads are an exact match other then the nipple thing

Apathy
09-23-2010, 09:49 AM
i don't think the piston is ment to turn, sometimes from tight seals and machining marks they do.. but not out of design.

Honky
09-23-2010, 10:37 AM
ok I'll be taking off the brake pad once again and grind off the nipple

thanks for your help

pumpkin
09-23-2010, 12:54 PM
If they are p brake calipers, the nipple in the brake pad sits in a recess on the caliper piston. This is to stop the piston from turning so the pb can adjust.

4skin
09-23-2010, 02:35 PM
ok I'll be taking off the brake pad once again and grind off the nipple

thanks for your help
dont dooit the dimple keeps piston from rotating
could cause park brake to not release
or adjust
dimple fits in one of 4 notches
simply turn piston to line it up
stuipid jeep guys lol