PDA

View Full Version : xj cherokee engine problems

darwyn haller
09-08-2010, 12:03 AM
hey, i'm wondering, if you can help? my 89 jeep cherokee has a vacume leak and recently it started overheating. i don't see any fluid leaking but when it overheats, the engine smokes and i can smell rad fluid. could these be related? any suggestions about where to start first?

thanks for helping me everybody!

4skin
09-08-2010, 12:22 AM
the problem is spelled out on front of it

jeep:D

Happypants
09-08-2010, 06:57 AM
Prolly cracked coolant bottle or u didn't bleed the system well enough

darwyn haller
09-19-2010, 10:41 PM
I think, I fixed the overheating but now it wont start at all. I'm pretty sure its the vacume leak. there seems to be no air in the engine. where do i start?

darwyn haller
09-19-2010, 10:45 PM
the problem is spelled out on front of it

jeep:D

yeah, i know. i am just trying, but.. i don't like it...

Happypants
09-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Is it turning over but not starting? If you got a vaccume leak it should still start, but rev irratically, it could be a number of things, loose ground strap, fucked up relay,

darwyn haller
09-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Is it turning over but not starting? If you got a vaccume leak it should still start, but rev irratically, it could be a number of things, loose ground strap, fucked up relay,

yeah, it starts but it runs rough, then. engine stops like it's getting no air.:dontknow:

bcmaxx
09-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Check the little plastic vacuum hose that goes from the throttle body to the map sensor bolted to the firewall above the back of the valve cover

The expansion tanks tend to be an issue with these things. The caps always leak or strip, or dont tighten up properly, just putting a hoseclamp on the cap, (not too tight) will help keep it on and keep it from peeing

bcmaxx
09-20-2010, 09:24 AM
This will help with cooling woes as long as the rest of the system is up to par: http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JTopenSystemSwitch/OpenSystemSwitch.htm

Get rid of that little pesky green turtle of an expansion tank. For my overflow I just used a washer bottle, nothing fancy. Lordco can get the Moroso inline filler.

darwyn haller
09-22-2010, 09:28 PM
I found the problems. I had a broken Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter and Fuel Lines. So I replaced them all and now my truck is working fine. So thanks everybody for helping me try different ways to find the problem. My truck is fine now. Thanks![36]

Happypants
09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
good to know

Tinker
09-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Another crisis adverted By......INTERNET MECHANIC!