PDA

View Full Version : dana 60 hub probs

bcwheeler
09-02-2010, 06:10 PM
so got a question about some dana 60 shit ,, have a mid 80's dana 60 ,took the dually hub and rotor off and replaced with a srw ,, problem is the warn hubs I got dont fit the same there is no groove cut into the hub where the selectable hub goes in to catch that spring the guy from north shore says " Oh its jus tdouble redundancy you dont need that in there that he runs without it ", so I set it up but the hub isnt tight in there now it can slide in and out about maybe an d1/8th inch so its loose in there ,

any ideas , I guess have the groove machined in or get full time hubs ,
its one of the last t things holding this truck back from being on the road that hub , need tie rod tapped for tre's bolt up exhaust , tighten a cable or two and shes finally on the road . oh and lets nto forget the drive shafts need to be lengthened

bcwheeler
09-03-2010, 07:13 PM
no input ? come on am I the only person on the planet to get these f'in hubs?

automan
09-03-2010, 08:03 PM
no groove where?
in the hub spline area or on the axle shaft

bcwheeler
09-04-2010, 12:21 AM
on the inside of the outter hub I guess if that makes sense , if you were to disassemble a hub the cver piece comes off with the 6 allan heads then behind that is the c clip that holds the other piece in , then behind that piece there is usually a flat steel spring that kinda clicks inso there are actually two retainers one in fron tand one in back well where the one closest to the inside of truck is supossed to go there is no groove to hold it in its just smooth serface , Im thinking maybe the srw hub and rotor ass. that I have put on is from a truck that did not have selectable hubs ? I dunno I guess i fneed be ill take it back apart and take pics if I can ...

bcwheeler
09-04-2010, 12:31 AM
I think its actually called the inner bearing hub that doesnt have the groove for the spring/clip thing that looks like someone torn apart a slinky
notsure what its called just tryin to describe it best I can

bcwheeler
09-05-2010, 12:12 PM
sooo anyone know WTF im talking about or what !?!?!?!

automan
09-05-2010, 12:26 PM
can you post a pic
sounds like you took your hubs apart

bcwheeler
09-05-2010, 12:56 PM
well of course I took it apart we jsut builkt the thing lol ... but like I said the hubs meaningthe warn bit is off of a dually selectable hub dana 60 the new hub and rotor assembly is off a srw ,, and they do not have the little groove machined in to them to hold the spring I tried to explain the best I can ,if you ahve taken one apart you should know whatim talking about just go through the installation of a sectable hub in ur head rotor and brake assembly go on to axle housing so now axle shft is sticking through the opening in the hub... so now you installed drive flange I believe (order might be a little off )then there is another part of the "selectable bit and pieces that goes in and has to be retained by that spring well that spring locks into this non exsistant groove then another part goes on and a locking nut then another retainer clip then you put the selectable hub cover on with the 6 allan heads and ur done ..but buddy at
northshore says: OOOH no you dont need that extra spring its double redundancy.;

Me no think so after seeing ow much play is in the axleshaft now ..you can pull onthe cover (dial part of hub) and the whole thing moves in and out liek an 1/8th"

????
hope that explains more I really dont want to take this thing aprart again

'

automan
09-05-2010, 01:32 PM
i'm guessing the new srw hub was full time 4x4
in some cases the cover was like a dust cover (no lock ring)
i'll be the groove is full of crud ,if you scrape it clean there should be a groove
also guessing your whole hub assembly is held on by the axle shaft

bcwheeler
09-05-2010, 04:31 PM
It's been cleaned there's no groove and I think it is held in by the shaft cause the whole thing moves in and out. Sooo how do I remedy this I guess either get full time hubs. I'm assuming they don't need the other ring or what ?? Or have the groove machined in ? Any ideas.

automan
09-05-2010, 05:22 PM
thats strange there should be a groove
should post a pic
might help in figuring out whats wrong

bcwheeler
09-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Lol I appreciate it but like I said trying to avoid taking apart it's not under cover and doesn't fit in my garage It doesn't have groove. So if it was a full time it wouldn't ?

bakelite
09-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Should be something about what you need to know here...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/index.html

Hope it helps, it's a lot of info[cheers]

bcwheeler
09-06-2010, 12:10 AM
wish it did but I have read that thign front to back , and nothing exept one section where he talks abotu wether or not you need to run snap rings , and it explains that it does cause walking and a loose seal allowing water and mud to get behind the dust cap/cover plate.. i just need to find otu if I have to go with a full time hub or get it machined ,

Unless someone wants to trade a set of srw with the groove for mine if any one is running a full time hub

bakelite
09-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Yeah, lots of reading there. I ended up swapping front hubs with a guy off Pirate to get SRW front Dana 60. Maybe try posting up in there what you need? [cheers]

429orangepeel
09-06-2010, 08:03 AM
If the locking hub isnt held tight against the bearing hub with a large retaining ring the locking hub wont seal against the bearing hub thus water in the bearings is eminent.You must have a axle snap ring and a hub snap ring.If you look on the inside of the outer looking hub and you will see a o-ring that seals against the hub.

bcwheeler
09-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Could I just add another rubber prong if I find one the right size to take up the slack and to make a tight seal ? Or is the snap spring a 100%must ?

automan
09-06-2010, 10:49 AM
you need to have the hub snap ring
not sure what but something does'nt sound right with the way you have it installed
pics can say more than words