PDA

View Full Version : CARTER #$%@#%&ing fuel pumps!

Fuzzydog
08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Just posting this so others can benefit.

My original fuel pump died the other day (90 cherokee)
I get the Bosch 'STYLE' fuel pump, which actually has a Carter pump in it. I had read all sorts of bad things about Carter pumps on NAXJA, but couldn't get anything else in town. I just went with it, figuring I would be one of the lucky ones with no problems. Lady luck was not smiling on me. I made it 30kms, that's right - THIRTY - before the pump died. Managed to coax it into working to get me home (low voltage on the gauge though - this sucker was working hard). Bench test confirms it is FUBAR!

So now, I am running on a used 21 yr old Bosch with unknown kms on it and jeep is running great!

Stay away from the Carter pumps - there are so many reports of short term failure, it just isn't worth the hassle. Seems I can't get a genuine Bosch anywhere in Canada so I ordered one from the states - Rockauto FTW!

AngeL0
08-27-2010, 07:47 PM
I can agree with this. Stay away from carter. Im on my 2nd Carter Pump in 3 months and its pooched and needs to be replaced again. F@%$ Carter.

WagoneerXJ
08-28-2010, 12:05 PM
I had a friend with a 90 XJ that needed a pump. Went with an AC Delco, no problems since

bcmaxx
08-28-2010, 12:12 PM
My experience with carters other than short term life is they are twice as loud as a stocker