PDA

View Full Version : back into it - some questions

Fuzzydog
08-25-2010, 03:46 PM
I am back into the hobby after an absence of many many years and my how things have changed. My Tamiya F150 flareside has a hard plastic body and mechanical (rheostat) speed control.

I just bought a traxxas stampede for $40 with some nice alum upgrades (bulkhead and knuckles) and a 12 turn motor. It came with an Epic nicd (6 cells and I think 3000mah from research on the net). the part # for the batt comes up as NIMH but it clearly shows on the batt that it is nicd.

Guy told me the ESC was fried because of the 12 turn motor. I bought a dynamite tazer 12t ESC for it.

charged up the batt and went for a rip.
first of all, when it is sitting there not moving but radio and esc on it makes a high pitched electrical whine from the motor. I am guessing it is not supposed to do that.
secondly, after ripping around a bit, still getting good juice from the batt it stopped and when I checked the wiring and batt were super hot, as in too hot too touch, and one of the wires going from the batt to the esc had unsoldered itself from the esc. I'm pretty sure this is not good.

Any ideas wtf is going on? why did it get so hot?

atoyot
08-25-2010, 06:18 PM
esc cant take the motor u are runnin............

the squeal u hear from the motor is normal........adjust your remote
until it stops or re set ur speedcontroll........

go to a 19t motor or a smaller pinion the motor is drawing too much current for the esc and a big pinion takes more to turn it....try a smaller pinion..........

Fuzzydog
08-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Ok, thanks. I just figured it was a 12t motor and the ESC is supposed to handle 12t - didn't think about the pinion, I'll do that.
I am probably just going to use this stampede for parts to build a crawler. I have a Tamiya planetary gearbox that has insane gear reduction, but plastic gears so I don't know how it will hold up. I guess we will see.

4skin
08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
[15] a name like fuzzy dog and start a post with back in to it[15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15]

atoyot
08-26-2010, 12:16 PM
dont use that planetary!!!!! it will blow up!!!!!!! thaugh id save u some time

i have an rc4wd all metal 4;1 reduction planetary.......
paid 60$ used twice..... gimmie 25$ and its yours!.
and yes higher pinion make motor work harder and takes alot of current.....
if u go smaller pinion u can still run 12t
or keep pinion and go 19t( i have a new one if ur interested)

Fuzzydog
08-26-2010, 12:33 PM
atoyot I sent you a PM

Jeezus! I went to the RC4WD site and now there is a mess all over my desk. there is some sweet, sweet stuff on there!

C-Dog
08-26-2010, 12:41 PM
atoyot I sent you a PM

Jeezus! I went to the RC4WD site and now there is a mess all over my desk. there is some sweet, sweet stuff on there!

Sure do that site is banned foe me i allways want to buy stuff for the RC when i shld be buying for the Jeep instead