PDA

View Full Version : Clutch master cyl problem???

'Balmer
08-22-2010, 10:59 PM
A friend of mine just picked up a '91 Sonoma with a 4.3L. The clutch seems to be "leaking down" ie. the longer you hold the clutch in, the less evffective it is... to the point that it will stall or commence forward motion within about 30 seconds of depressing the clutch.
The slave cly is brand new and I bled it this evening (there was no air), so I'm thinking it must be a faulty master cyl. Does this sound reasonable :dontknow:
I also noticed that the master cyl and resovoir are not a part of the same unit. The resovoir has a hose that leads down behind the brake master to a place that I was too lazy to search for. It makes me think that replacing this particular clutch master may big a big pain in the ass... anyone done one before and got any info???

4skin
08-22-2010, 11:05 PM
if its anything like fullsise changing naster is no where near the bitch as bleeding

Kingblazer84
08-23-2010, 08:12 AM
its really not that bad the bench bleed of the master will be needed but after you do that it should be good to go and if you get stuck you can always post up and we will give you as much info as possible

hrd4mud
08-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Why ya hold the clutch in for so long, if your stopped for more then 30 seconds take it outta gear :confused0006:

'Balmer
08-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Why ya hold the clutch in for so long, if your stopped for more then 30 seconds take it outta gear :confused0006:
I like things to work properly... maybe I'm wierd:dontknow:

85chevy
08-23-2010, 06:27 PM
IF its anything like the full size u have to take the slave and point it straight up in the air to get all the air out of it had the problem with my truck when I did my clutch first time dealing with the hydraulic clutch had to crawl underneath and undo it then have to someone in the truck bleed it like brakes and only then did it finally start to work. Pain in the ass but I shouldn't have any problems with it now its totally brand new because the guys that took out the previous owners hitch bent the master cylinder rod so it was toast.

'Balmer
08-23-2010, 07:51 PM
IF its anything like the full size u have to take the slave and point it straight up in the air to get all the air out of it had the problem with my truck when I did my clutch first time dealing with the hydraulic clutch had to crawl underneath and undo it then have to someone in the truck bleed it like brakes and only then did it finally start to work. Pain in the ass but I shouldn't have any problems with it now its totally brand new because the guys that took out the previous owners hitch bent the master cylinder rod so it was toast.

I hear ya... I've had to bleed cylinders that way too. The slave on this truck has a bleeder that does point straight up though and it's a brand new slave cyl. (not that brand new parts always work properly...). However, that is part of what makes me think it's likely the master cyl.

85chevy
08-24-2010, 06:06 PM
The bleeder on my slave points straight up but it doesn't get all the air out of it till yea unbolt it and hold it straight up so might wanna check that out first because any bit of air will cause problems.

'Balmer
08-24-2010, 07:03 PM
The bleeder on my slave points straight up but it doesn't get all the air out of it till yea unbolt it and hold it straight up so might wanna check that out first because any bit of air will cause problems.

Thanks for the tip bud... I'll try that.