PDA

View Full Version : Inspection ???

Evan the Blue
08-19-2010, 02:40 PM
I found one of those too good to be true deals on a 04' 3500, I'm sure it has some kind of problem with it being too cheap.
So the question is .... who would yall recommend to do an inspection on a Diesel Dodge in the New West to Killawack area:dontknow: (preferably closer to Maple Ridge the better) And is there anything that you Dodge boys/girls might want to recommend I be watching for (typical Dodge problems)
Thanks for any advice ....
[cheers]

crazylike
08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
the front end are a weak spot in those diesels

Honky
08-19-2010, 02:58 PM
I have problems with my front end now

England
08-19-2010, 03:14 PM
RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!

A guy at work bought same thing great deal 1st repair cost 6grand ..just saying Ev ..dont want to burst yer bubble

hrd4mud
08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
I know people that overchip them, when they feel the tranny is about to blow they pull the chip and sell truck.

Also if its an online deal that you havnt seen yet, lots of them to good to be true ads are fake. Not sure who falls for a decked out quad selling for 1/2 price but somebody must or they wouldnt keep doing it lol.

B
08-19-2010, 03:20 PM
hmmm i wonder who .... hmmm ... [16]

:p

Evan the Blue
08-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the input all ....
Well went and test drove it. it is being sold by some dude with a small used car/truck lot in New West.
The 6 speed standard transmission (according to the dude selling it) was just rebuilt and a new clutch was put into it (feels really good)
Ball-joints, U-joints and front breaks are all new. (stearing feels tight and no unusual noises from the front end)
It is a US import truck so it has been through all the safety inspection ordeal and passed

Problems are :
Bad repaint job - needs touch up here and there but no rust that I can tell
Leather drivers seat has small tear
Needs a new rear slider window (currently Plexiglas)
Drivers rubber door seal is starting to break down
Small dents in the box
Needs a stereo
No power accessories (mind you that could be a good thing ... nothing to go wrong lol)

Once again it is a 04', 4 door, short box, Cummings turbo, standard 6, with 400K Km (or 240K miles) .... any guesses what this truck should be worth?

Just looking to educate myself a wee bit more so once again any input is very welcome
[cheers]

Evan the Blue
08-19-2010, 05:12 PM
oh yeah and the rims are seriously FUGLY but I can fix that up quick.

Here's a pic ....

England
08-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Ill replace that plexi for you with lexan ..for 6 beers !!!!!

Ironman
08-19-2010, 05:23 PM
find out where from the states it came from. Lots of rebuilt status vehicles came out of the katrina hurricane and are being sold cheap

Evan the Blue
08-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Washington State .... Thanks for the tip Jay [cheers]

Evan the Blue
08-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks Tim, I'll keep that in mind [cheers]

Moondog
08-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Its from the states rebuilt with 400k on it I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole no matter how cheap it is. Save your money and wait for a bit with the new shape Cummins flooding the market that body style will be getting cheaper by the day. I have an 05 3500 short box crew cab with 100k on it that I have owned from new and I am lucky if its worth 20k [cheers]

epic3
08-19-2010, 09:47 PM
It's a rebuild. Thats a ton of mileage and not a cheap engine or drivetrain to overhaul or service. I know they can last 600km's (I have yet to see one with that much) and they need all the right prayers and maint to do so and you don't know how it was driven for those 400km's add to that the 100-200km's you will like to get out of it and the cost of ownership just went through the roof.
Consider this also are you financing it? If so it may be cheaper to lease or finance a new one with all the dealer incentive bs and zero or close to finance rates your monthly might not be much more. Especialy after you calculate your annual repair/upkeep costs to a monthly cost added onto the monthly payment of an old beat up pos yankee rebuild.
Used car dealerships charge huge interest.

Lynx
08-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Don't worry about commons probs, it's past that point. Everything is gonna be a common problem now, wheel bearings ($450/piece), transfercase, etc....

Find something with low, low K. I bought mine with 155,000kms. Wish I would have spent a few more grand for less K.

Also remember, when its payed off in a few years, it will have over 1/2 millions kms and be worth dick-all after you just finished spending 15 grand on it.

Get a low k truck from a used dealership and buy a 5star global warranty, max coverage which will cost you around 2k. Then you're set. I have had over $5000 in work done on my truck, warranty will be over in a few months and all headaches taken care off! PM me if you want I can hook you up with the broker I used, and I got the warranty for cost at 1000bucks! Saved my ass HUGE