PDA

View Full Version : Can an air filter trigger the check engine light?

Vastier
08-16-2010, 10:43 PM
A friend of mine has an 06' Jeep Liberty and her check engine light came on. She took it to the dealership and they said it was her air filter. She just changed it about 3 months ago and how does a dirty air filter trigger the check engine light anyways??? She leaves the dealership after paying for another new air filter only to have the light come on again 10 min. later. So the question is, can a dirty air filter trigger the check engine light? If so, I've never heard of it. It just sounds to me like they're jerking her around.

mus-Tard
08-16-2010, 11:46 PM
l think so. lm not up on jeeps too much but a loose gas cap can set off the light too.

4skin
08-17-2010, 12:33 AM
:D my cheyelle triped engine lite in freinds 07 muffstain lol was behind me going into track

bottle tune ups a litlle fat and her cars computer stored a over fueling code:D :D :D chevelle eats dinosaurs at a alarning rate

redman
08-17-2010, 08:33 AM
yup. to much oil on the filter caused my sensor to die

kootenaycat
08-18-2010, 04:28 PM
If it's an aftermarket (oiled) filter it can but if stock I doubt it would. It would have to be incredibly plugged up to reduce enough airflow to cause it to go lean. And if the CEL came back on within a day then I'd be taking it back and bitching. Too many idiots pull codes, throw a part at it and send you on the way. Should have pulled codes, did obvious diag then if nothing found clear codes and send you on your way (with minimum charge of course - those scan tools aren't cheap) and tell you to come back if it comes on again. Sounds like they used the CEL to sell you something.

What code was on the RO? You may be better off going someplace else.

epic3
08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Yes it's possible. Todays new vehicles are under such strict emissions guidelines that the sensors are more accurate then ever before and the primary ones for emissions controls and directly related to the optimal AFR and emissions of an engine are vacuum maf mas and O2 sensors.
If your air filter is dirty enough your vacuum goes up check engine light may come on.
The engine wouldn't run lean from a dirty filter it would run rich.
The other number one reason check engine lights come on (in late model cars) repeatedly is a loose or faulty gas cap. The other end of vehicle emissions systems is the vehicles evaporation system which is designs to eliminate fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere there is sensors in place to monitor pressure or vacuum loses in the tank indicating an evaporative systems failure. Thats why aircare checks the gas cap on all older vehicles newer vehicles will have a fault code and the car will fail by just a scan.

hrd4mud
08-19-2010, 11:46 AM
must be a nasty dirt road for an air filter to get that clogged in 3 months!

Id say it was the gas cap, my ram has that one pop up once a month (should just replace it I guess).

I dunno about 06 but my 01 ram can read its own codes, turn key off and on 3 times it flashes the codes, come on google and type in the code and you know what it is. Then I just unplug my computer to reset it (dont feel like reprograming my stereo that often).

ShuswapRedneck
08-19-2010, 01:30 PM
my CEL came on because of the MAF sensor, which is dirty because of the air filter. Should get the code pulled properly, instead of at the idiot Jeep dealership (they all seem to be about the same when it comes to throwing random parts at vehicles) and find out what the actual code is it's showing.

kootenaycat
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
The engine wouldn't run lean from a dirty filter it would run rich.

That's what I meant to say, brain wasn't working last night! :D

I'd still get the codes pulled and compare to what they were the first time.

epic3
08-19-2010, 03:00 PM
That's what I meant to say, brain wasn't working last night! :D

I'd still get the codes pulled and compare to what they were the first time.

I thought so