PDA

View Full Version : building a strong exo...

Gaybait
08-11-2010, 05:33 PM
so one of the things i wanna do is build an exo for my jeep, seen as how the body is pretty straight now id like to try and keep it that way and im hoping an exo will help.

Is there any rule of thhumb to building the exo, what to do and what not to do.. ive been researching the size of pipe to use and what not, but i dont rreally wanna steal another persons idea off there jeep but if thats what i have to do to be safe thats fine.. im hoping it'll be strong enoff to protect with a roll over.

ri0
08-11-2010, 06:35 PM
1 3/4 hrew if you want it to save your life once...go dom if you want to bash it on trees and rocks...if your gonna tie your seatbelts into the cage, make sure you tie your seats into the cage as well...if that means tieing your body into the cage then do it...maybe get a side view of you truck, go into ms paint and start to draw it up.. post it on line see what people think...

Gaybait
08-11-2010, 08:00 PM
1 3/4 hrew if you want it to save your life...go dom if you want to bash it on trees and rocks...if your gonna tie your seatbelts into the cage, make sure you tie your seats into the cage as well...if that means tieing your body into the cage then do it...maybe get a side view of you truck, go into ms paint and start to draw it up.. post it on line see what people think...

thats a great idea, thanks man.

RCCruiser
08-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't see an exo as something to 'save the body'. It's more of an all-around tree/rock slider.
I used 1.25" sch 80 for my zuk. Most Toyota guys use 1.5" sch 40. And it takes a beating. HREW and DOM are good, but all will dent and bend with decent hits.

Explorer guy418
08-11-2010, 09:24 PM
just get some1 that knows that there doing to do it.

FU Toolbag
08-11-2010, 09:59 PM
exo cages usually just grab trees as opposed to rubbing them. go internal and wear your wounds with pride.

B
08-11-2010, 11:00 PM
build your own or find rock slider's and bumper's first that's the base the rest of your protection will be built of of so start there ...

LooseNuts
08-12-2010, 04:31 AM
and make sure you know how to weld before you do it

Happypants
08-12-2010, 06:51 AM
Fence posts and bed posts :D nudge nudge lol,

I used 1 3/4 Dom for the main loops and such then hrew for the smaller peices,

Apathy
08-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Rio,
sorry man, HREW? are you fucking nuts?

DO NOT USE HREW.(hot rolled electrci weld approx 45ksi
use CREW. (cold rolled electric weld approx 55ksi, same as DOM, without the DOM process. dom approx 60-70ksi)

dirka dave
08-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't see an exo as something to 'save the body'. It's more of an all-around tree/rock slider.
I used 1.25" sch 80 for my zuk. Most Toyota guys use 1.5" sch 40. And it takes a beating. HREW and DOM are good, but all will dent and bend with decent hits.

Your cage is galvanized pipe from a green house right ?

how many brain cells did you kill welding that stuff together ?

ri0
08-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Rio,
sorry man, HREW? are you fucking nuts?

DO NOT USE HREW.(hot rolled electrci weld approx 45ksi
use CREW. (cold rolled electric weld approx 55ksi, same as DOM, without the DOM process. dom approx 60-70ksi)

yeah I am fucking nuts...

you don't think a cage built out of hrew will save his life in the event of a roll over?

obviously dom is much more stronger, but it also comes with a much more expensive price...

Gaybait
08-12-2010, 08:00 PM
yeah I am fucking nuts...

you don't think a cage built out of hrew will save his life in the event of a roll over?

obviously dom is much more stronger, but it also comes with a much more expensive price...

rio i nkow u built ur internal cage for ur yota, could u maybe give me some ideas for an internal for my cherokee? ive decided to scrap exo and just go internal, i had a close call almost rolling my bronco over backwards and dont wanna go threew that again, especially if i have friends with me i dont want them to get hurt in the event of a roll over.

ri0
08-12-2010, 08:53 PM
I only put my internal in as a temp cage until I can make an f toy out of my truck...you can definatly get away with 1.5 for an internal...I did a hoop behind my seat, then a bar up the a pillar, then tie the two together across the top of the dash as well as infront of the dash, I also ran a door bar and also a bar along the floor...to fully weld the cage I chopped a 1' off the bottom of the rear hoop after I tacked in everything. dropped the cage down on an angle fully weldded the cage then jammed it back up and welded in the 1' piece back in with a sleve inside of it.

don't do an x above your head, you will hate smashen your head into it...
I recently worked on putting a cage in a 90's 4runner and I put a Y on the roof, with two pieces of tube, I really like the way it turned out. I will likely do that again when I do another cage...

I ran a tube along the floor, which really strengthend the cage a fair amount. In the event that I get into a roll over and I push that bar right through the floor, I have other issues to worry about.

the dash bar I would concider doing that out of some smaller tube than 1.5..