PDA

View Full Version : Trying to eliminate things wrong with 4wd

Gaybait
08-07-2010, 05:26 PM
So the jeep i bought somewhere in the driveline is broken. It goes into 4wd, and crawls fine if its crawling with idle speed, but if u come up to something and have to give it gas to get up it, u can hear something CLINKING or PINGING when u give it gas and it wont go up, almost like its slipping gears or something in the transfercase. Its drives fine in 2wd so it cant be the rear end, the transfercase is the peice of junk one with part time 4wd and all that and even in LOW RANGE the part time light is still on...

Im thinking its the transfer case.

dh_4_ever
08-07-2010, 06:08 PM
disconnect the linkage, and manually pull the lever on the t-case down, all the way down, to the vertical position. then give it a try. if it still does it its something internal, maybe worn bushings on the shift fork.. but if it does work, you just need to adjust the linkage. is it auto or standard?

4skin
08-07-2010, 06:27 PM
have you checked oil level in t case to see how much shrapnel is in it???

Gaybait
08-07-2010, 06:37 PM
have you checked oil level in t case to see how much shrapnel is in it???

its an automatic, and i checked trans fluid it was fine but havent got to the transfercase fluid yet

Chopstick
08-07-2010, 06:45 PM
try what dh 4ever said, i had the same issue but my linkage wasn;t adjusted properly, hahaha fluid? who needs fluid haha when i pulled my tcase apart to do the slip eliminater i had a bottle cap full of oil in it lol

Happypants
08-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Ya no shit Aaron, tsk tsk!!

crazylike
08-08-2010, 10:10 AM
try what dh 4ever said, i had the same issue but my linkage wasn;t adjusted properly, hahaha fluid? who needs fluid haha when i pulled my tcase apart to do the slip eliminater i had a bottle cap full of oil in it lol

probably left it on trails which is what gets 4x4ing into trouble should never drive your junk if it leaking fluids.

Happypants
08-08-2010, 10:09 PM
probably left it on trails which is what gets 4x4ing into trouble should never drive your junk if it leaking fluids.

Hahaha doubt it, dummy prolly forgot to put fluid in it to begin with lol

dh_4_ever
08-09-2010, 01:18 AM
my oil pan leaks like a surry girl after a good time.. oh yeah but I always pack a min of 5L oil with me haha.. new pan gasket is coming in on tuesday :D

you fix the 4x4 yet?

Chopstick
08-09-2010, 02:03 AM

my jeep dont leak, na na lol

dh_4_ever
08-09-2010, 05:00 PM
it cant leak if nothing was in it [36]