PDA

View Full Version : shock angles??

Bigsexy
08-07-2010, 12:40 AM
ive cut off the stock shock mounts off on a f150 because all they did was collect bits of trees and smash into rocks.. id like to have my shocks set up as ive seen on many other trucks like ^ . Wat is the rules here on angles and how far apart do i space the tops of the shocks :dontknow:

B
08-07-2010, 12:49 AM
the closer the top's are together the more prone to body roll you are and the more of a angle the shock is on the less damping it is doing ....

so big pig full size shock as vertical as possible and i wouldn't lean them in at the top very much either or you can look like a dog wagging its ass going down the road ...

that being said there fucking shock mounts try what ever ya want it it dosent work try again

just my 2 cent's ...

Ginger Snaps
08-07-2010, 09:59 AM
mine are / \ and she flexes large... but then again she gets some wicked body roll haha

RCCruiser
08-07-2010, 10:16 AM
The only reason shocks are mounted like / \ is to get more travel out of a shorter shock. But like it was said before...you'll get less damping effect. Almost to the point where they don't really do anything anymore.

If you'll notice, the brand new Ford as well as others, now mounts their shocks on the outside of the frame rail, practically vertical. They are way more effective this way. I just mounted mine like that on my Zuk and it's way better.

Bigsexy
08-07-2010, 06:34 PM
mine are / \ and she flexes large... but then again she gets some wicked body roll haha

u jus mean when turning right.. If thats the case.. im not worried bout that..i just dont want it bouncing down the road when im drivin straight.. Body lean is the least of my worries right now lol

If i had a digital camera i would startd a lil build thread cause i just built a ton of shit today and torched off a bunch more stuff..

dh_4_ever
08-07-2010, 06:55 PM
idealy, for a more stable unit, you put the shocks as close to the tire as possible, and keep the top ends as far away as possible, if they are close (Say touching) the body will just roll and piviot on the shocks. when I trianglulated mine they really added to the roll (lots of flex tho) so just try to put them most outbound as possible (I put the shocks on my trailer outbound of the leafs and it doesnt have much flex, but boy it rides nice over bumps and doesnt push the jeep around or anything :D )

4skin
08-07-2010, 07:02 PM
130553this is how mine are mounted in my 4 runner
body roll yes these shocks were to stiff mounted stock just about right now
they are a stocklength shock get alot more travel out of them

Bigsexy
08-07-2010, 08:47 PM
thanks guys. i got'er all figured out now.. just a matter of testen'er out..
[cheers]

stylus
08-08-2010, 11:11 AM
stay away from /\!!

straight up and down.

4skin
08-09-2010, 02:21 AM
stay away from /\!!

straight up and down.
bet you failed geometry
shock arent mounted straight up and down on any oem car or 4x4
semi trucks are
a 6 inch travel shock only will move 3 in up 3 in down mounted straight

like you think it should be how do you sugest mounting a long travel shock
that is say 21 inches long fully compressed cut a hole in floor of box:confused0006:
or build mounts below diff housing
do some reseach before giving some one bad advise:ballsmack

stylus
08-09-2010, 05:49 AM
bet you failed geometry
shock arent mounted straight up and down on any oem car or 4x4
semi trucks are
a 6 inch travel shock only will move 3 in up 3 in down mounted straight

like you think it should be how do you sugest mounting a long travel shock
that is say 21 inches long fully compressed cut a hole in floor of box:confused0006:
or build mounts below diff housing
do some reseach before giving some one bad advise:ballsmack

coming from the guy who has his shocks mounted terribly..

yes cut a hole in the floor... unless you want to topple yourself over, limit your suspension, and in time wreck your shocks.

and yes shocks are monted up and down on an oem car, my 2003 diesel has its shocks up and down stock. WOW!

maybe i can find some old pictures of me and my buddys toy, both had the/\ goin on, changed to up and down, and it sure makes a difference.

pirate4x4 has lots of articles on this..

cruiser45
08-09-2010, 08:24 AM
outboard and and up and down, 4-6 inches uptravel and the rest is for DROOP

'Balmer
08-09-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm pretty sure that those who are saying to mount your shocks "straight up and down" are not meaning literally vertically. More likey what they are saying is that the shocks shouldn't be leaned in towards the center of the axle, but rather mounted relatively close to the frame rails. This doesn't mean that the shocks aren't at a bit of an angle leaning towards the front or the back of the vehicle... or one each way (as we see on many stock trucks). Generally this is where the extra travel, that 4Skin is reffering to, comes from.
Yes mounting the shocks leaning in towards the center of the axle will reduce the effectiveness of your shocks and allow more body roll. In my opinion, this doesn't mean it should never be done; they're just factors to consider. Each vehicle/suspension set up will react slightly differently, it doesn't hurt to do a bit of trial and error as long as you create a crosmember or something so that you can adjust you top mounts from and re-weld them easily.

dirka dave
08-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Looks like you are missing a nut on the LHS shock. :dontknow:

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=130553&d=1281232768

stylus
08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that those who are saying to mount your shocks "straight up and down" are not meaning literally vertically. More likey what they are saying is that the shocks shouldn't be leaned in towards the center of the axle, but rather mounted relatively close to the frame rails. This doesn't mean that the shocks aren't at a bit of an angle leaning towards the front or the back of the vehicle... or one each way (as we see on many stock trucks). Generally this is where the extra travel, that 4Skin is reffering to, comes from.
Yes mounting the shocks leaning in towards the center of the axle will reduce the effectiveness of your shocks and allow more body roll. In my opinion, this doesn't mean it should never be done; they're just factors to consider. Each vehicle/suspension set up will react slightly differently, it doesn't hurt to do a bit of trial and error as long as you create a crosmember or something so that you can adjust you top mounts from and re-weld them easily.

actually pretty much do mean vertically, no more then 30degrees is the rule.

stylus
08-09-2010, 02:10 PM
not the best pic of our shock mounts, but its the only one that shows them.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs511.snc3/26856_10150166390960401_523470400_11378864_3558283 _n.jpg

RCCruiser
08-09-2010, 02:30 PM
actually pretty much do mean vertically,.
I agree. The most vertical the better. The only reason the shocks get angled is to increase travel for a shorter shock. But in doing this, you reduce it's effectiveness. And angling them forward or back does exactly the same as angling them inwards. Both not the best way to do it.

If you want 'perfect', you'll mount them 100% vertical.

If you want 'it'll do', you'll mount them at an angle.

'Balmer
08-09-2010, 02:32 PM
actually pretty much do mean vertically, no more then 30degrees is the rule.

30 degrees is a hell of a long way from vertical...

Zibi
08-09-2010, 02:55 PM
30 degrees is a hell of a long way from vertical...

I think he means 30 degrees from vertical, so a 60 degree angle from the axle tube

dh_4_ever
08-09-2010, 04:12 PM
the ideal shock mount for good stability is as wide as possible (up against the tire) and in the stroke of the suspention. so on a leaf sprung axle, the top should be pointed to the shackle slightly, so as its always taking the load direclty inline, as the axle is loaded. but like 4skin said, you wont be able to get enough shock travel. so compromise. I use disconnect swaybars to control what my shocks dont anymore (I do alot of highway driving and towing with the jeep as well)

'Balmer
08-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I think he means 30 degrees from vertical, so a 60 degree angle from the axle tube

Ya, I got that...

and 30 degrees is a hell of a long way from vertical.