PDA

View Full Version : ---updated on last page---Got a ticket today for no doors on my Jeep

Honky
07-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I was pulled over today and the cop gave me a $109 fine for not having my doors on my 1981 CJ7 I told him that the doors were a factory option but he gave me the ticket anyways. He was nice about it and did give me his phone if I can prove that it is legal. I'm going to fax him this

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/vehicle_saftey_and_standards/PDF/bulletins/080807_bulletin_1_removable_doors.pdf

But here is a question for you Jeep guys....If the window has hinges can I run with the front window down? that is how I drive on the street everyday.

:confused0006:

UU
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
[e]

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

UU
07-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Maybe :dontknow:

[5] Yes

Hey Ann
07-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I read the whole thing. It says that "CJ" jeeps may have been manufactured without doors and therefore can be on the highway without doors, however, it also says that you must have a side rear view mirror on your vehicle, doors or not! :dontknow: :D

barracuda
07-28-2010, 11:20 AM
they also could go over thew whole thing with a fine tooth comb and next thing you know it is on a flatbed to an inspection facility .

Honky
07-28-2010, 11:32 AM
very true, but is there anything in print that says I can run with the front window down? I mean they came that way from the factory

barracuda
07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
i used to drive with the windshield down and all i was told was that i must be wearing eye protection (goggles glasses etc).

cruiser guy
07-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Ask here.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?157311-VI-s-and-minor-infractions

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?156821-Driving-with-no-doors-on-vehicle-in-the-city

There is a vehicle inspector who regularly chimes in. I'm sure he can give you the low down. He might even come and find you and put that Jeep on a flatbed to an inspection facility for you!!!

Honky
07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Sorry I don't post on that site

Meeshies
07-28-2010, 12:57 PM

lol

B
07-28-2010, 01:04 PM
who does ? .... lol

Happypants
07-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Ask here.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?157311-VI-s-and-minor-infractions

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?156821-Driving-with-no-doors-on-vehicle-in-the-city

There is a vehicle inspector who regularly chimes in. I'm sure he can give you the low down. He might even come and find you and put that Jeep on a flatbed to an inspection facility for you!!!

Hahahaha

C-Dog
07-28-2010, 01:35 PM
U can get a cheap set of clip on miorrors cheap and then u cld win

UU
07-28-2010, 01:44 PM
very true, but is there anything in print that says I can run with the front window down? I mean they came that way from the factory

I think you can aslong as you have 2 rearview mirrors

lester
07-28-2010, 03:04 PM
so what about Scout II`s with the factory SSII option? the CVSE only mentiond Jeeps

Honky
07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
you have to check under farm tractors for that :-)

PrimeT
07-28-2010, 03:25 PM
Whoa thanks for the heads up on that guess its time to put the doors back on the jeep... however i did notice it said on highways... is that roadways in general or only roads that are actually labeled as a highway... eg 7 or 1

Honky
07-28-2010, 03:33 PM
it's on all roads

Greg82
07-28-2010, 03:42 PM
U can get a cheap set of clip on miorrors cheap and then u cld win

A stock CJ has the mirrors mounted to the window hinges. No extra parts are required.

IMO you got of easy, like other have said you could have got a VI or worse a tow truck.

:)

Honky
07-28-2010, 03:52 PM
My Jeep is not a POS yes of course I could have got a VI but not a tow truck

Greg82
07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
My Jeep is not a POS yes of course I could have got a VI but not a tow truck

Not saying its a POS at all, but you know how the cops can be, some days they just have it for you.

Honky
07-28-2010, 03:55 PM
true...so true

d0ubledown
07-28-2010, 04:06 PM

yes, there is...its posted on that site, as well as others. crappy to hear about your ticket. cops dont care if they're wrong, they just do what they want to do. id print out or even request an official copy of the MVA regulations from victoria, and keep it in the glove compartment.

...would love to see the way a cop reacts when you pull that out while he's writing you up a no door ticket...

Honky
07-28-2010, 04:11 PM
what was the answer on BC4x4 about the front window...and is there a link to something from ICBC I can print?

cruiser guy
07-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Whoa thanks for the heads up on that guess its time to put the doors back on the jeep... however i did notice it said on highways... is that roadways in general or only roads that are actually labeled as a highway... eg 7 or 1

An FSR is considered a "highway", or at least it used to!

For those "brave" enough to check this out it might help the definition of "highway".

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?156344-Forestry-Road-motor-vehicle-accidents-not-covered-by-insurance-as-they-used-to-be

BeerBaron666
07-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Keep a copy of the MVA in your console just in case you get pulled over again, as far as the window down I can't see it being legal on the road , on the other side why would you want to? I wouldn't want to take a rock to the head on the highway, what if it knocks you out?:dontknow:

Honky
07-28-2010, 04:44 PM
and how often does that happen....look at all the motor bikes driving around without a front window....it just doesn't happen

I drive with the front window down everyday coming home from work.....it's a real treat to drive like that

Pudge
07-28-2010, 04:52 PM
in my old CJ6 it was always down, nothing beats driving roofless, doorless, and windowless

FZJ80
07-28-2010, 05:17 PM
He gives you a $109.oo dollar ticket and you say he was a nice guy?
Sounds like a fucking cock socket to me!

Chopstick
07-28-2010, 06:05 PM
yes, there is...its posted on that site, as well as others. crappy to hear about your ticket. cops dont care if they're wrong, they just do what they want to do. id print out or even request an official copy of the MVA regulations from victoria, and keep it in the glove compartment.

...would love to see the way a cop reacts when you pull that out while he's writing you up a no door ticket...

having a copy of the MVA in glove boxs could be a good idea but if you get one of those cops where they think they are right all the time, your just gonna insult them when you pull out the rule book an start tell him hes wrong an what not.. and legally your suppose to have atleast 2 rear view mirrors.

i almost got a ticket in my work truck (cube van) just because i took out my rear view mirror.

85chevy
07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
My dad said they used to drive derby cars to the PNE back in the 70s I think it was they did not have to have a windshield in the car but they did have to have working windshield wipers and of course lights and all that which they pulled out when they got it to the pne then just took out anything they would reuse in the next car and they would take them away for scrap. So having the window down shouldn't really be an issue but times have certainly changed....

rockycotton
07-28-2010, 06:19 PM
I drive with my doors off quite often , never got pulled over for it and passed lots of cops. I do have the side veiw mirrors though, wander if that makes a difference. I also never go on the highway with doors off.

Moondog
07-28-2010, 07:00 PM
get a set of tube doors and tell the cop to go fuck himself

duff
07-28-2010, 08:59 PM
and how often does that happen....look at all the motor bikes driving around without a front window....it just doesn't happen

I drive with the front window down everyday coming home from work.....it's a real treat to drive like that

my naghbour dissloged his retna geting hit in the eye buy a rock on his motorcycle, I ride with a full face helmet and have been hit with many rocks and the ocasional bee that gets stuck inside the helmet, this can be very dangerous at freeway speeds, and hey, my truck doors are on hinges so I guess I should be able to drive around with my doors open right????:D :D :D :D :party0010: :party0010: :party0010:

cruiser guy
07-28-2010, 09:42 PM

Only if tube doors are a FACTORY option:dontknow:

dirka dave
07-28-2010, 10:13 PM

Yeah do that.

:fire

RCCruiser
07-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Only if tube doors are a FACTORY option:dontknow:
A vehicle that came equipped with doors must use doors. Where factory doors are not used, the replacement must provide substantially the same protection as the factory doors..... or something similar to that. ;)

theborges
07-28-2010, 11:03 PM
All Cj's came with the mirrors not attached to the doors. so the mirrors are not a issue

arjan
07-28-2010, 11:26 PM
You're not allowed to drive a vehicle without doors or a seatbelt because it is dangerous, yet motorcycles are deemed safe enough to be driven on the road. I could never figure that one out.

4skin
07-28-2010, 11:26 PM
had big arguement with young cop at road block wrote me a seatbelt fine
then told me to put it on
said to him cant no seat belts he came unglued yelled at meim towing it you have to have seat belts[blah][blah] [blah] dot box1
older cop came over asked what is the problem
i told him i dont like fines for leagaly driving without seat belts and geting dot ispection order on truck that complys to rules had inspectors book in truck he tore tickets up
oh yea restored 51 f3 ford if its hot rodded your out of luck
so id say carry the rules with you

RCCruiser
07-29-2010, 09:02 AM
You're not allowed to drive a vehicle without doors or a seatbelt because it is dangerous, yet motorcycles are deemed safe enough to be driven on the road. I could never figure that one out.
Yep. Seatbelts are the same thing. If it never came with them, you don't need them.

There's lots of things like that. Side light markers being another. Many older cars before 1970 never had side markers. Now you have to have them...unless it never came with them. Airbags are another. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens with all the computer controlled vehicle stability stuff they are using now...

But ya...I know of a couple guys that have CJ's that beat their tickets.

Apathy
07-29-2010, 10:07 AM
down here in the states yo can get away with teh window down, but you have to have eye protection, such as a pair of goggles.

d0ubledown
07-29-2010, 10:48 AM

apples to apples kev. a motorcycle gets 50+mpg, why cant my truck get that? oh right...its not a motorcycle. they get different laws and different safety standards since theyre...well...different than passenger vehicles.

its luck of the draw basically. i had a YJ (believe it or not!) that i drove around with the doors off. no issues, however, this was back in the day. you probably were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. it happens, and with cops, theres absolutely butt fuck nothing you can do to change their mind if they're already in the mindset of giving you a ticket the minute they turn their lights on. its up to the cop. not everyone that speeds gets a ticket, but everyone speeds anyway.

iirc, from the discussions on the other site, doors are required if they came with them from the factory. same with truck beds, and bumpers, seatbelts, and sideview mirrors. rearviews arent mandatory since not all vehicles you can see out the back of. if you feel your CJ does fall into the the loophole of optional doors, and were wrongfully ticketed, id research the act and regulations themselves, and dispute the ticket. get a lawyer if you really want to persue what you believe is right. might be worth it to swallow your pride and do some research over on the other site. you dont have to post, just search. lots of correct factual info & links from those that issue tickets, and uphold these kinds of laws. good luck to ya...i hate being wrongfully ticketed too...

MOTOR VEHICLE ACT (http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/96318_00)

MOTOR VEHICLE ACT REGULATIONS (http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/26_58_00)

lester
07-29-2010, 09:49 PM
i had a cop try and give me a ticket for not haveing seat belts in my old 62 C10 untill i explaned to her that in 62 they were not mandatory and therefore not offered and that i didn`t have to have them but if i updated the truck to have them i had to use them. she had to ask another cop with more experiance he agreed and said have a nice night, the fact that i a VI to import the truck just done the day before didn`t hurt eather

duff
07-29-2010, 11:22 PM

r you beeing serious right now????????[16]

4skin
07-30-2010, 01:57 AM
so what about Scout II`s with the factory SSII option? the CVSE only mentiond Jeeps
or the rare 67 bronco roadster stoped production in 68 130049:dontknow: :dontknow:

OldEnuff
07-30-2010, 02:48 AM
or the rare 67 bronco roadster stoped production in 68 130049:dontknow: :dontknow:

You would probably win your appeal of the ticket but quite the hassle no doubt and the next cop would just ticket you again anyway

do legal soft/half doors... just take them off when offroad or fsring

Moondog
07-30-2010, 12:47 PM

[cheers]

Candy
07-30-2010, 01:37 PM
I was pulled over today and the cop gave me a $109 fine for not having my doors on my 1981 CJ7 I told him that the doors were a factory option but he gave me the ticket anyways. He was nice about it and did give me his phone if I can prove that it is legal. I'm going to fax him this

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/vehicle_saftey_and_standards/PDF/bulletins/080807_bulletin_1_removable_doors.pdf

But here is a question for you Jeep guys....If the window has hinges can I run with the front window down? that is how I drive on the street everyday.

:confused0006:

we saw a guy driving around with his windshield down

England
07-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Its not legal for the wind shield to be done ...Its classed as being a distraction and therefore is longer allowed

Ginger Snaps
07-30-2010, 02:25 PM
im going to smash out my windshield!

lester
07-30-2010, 06:05 PM

thats kinda what i was getting at i guess we just have to run the inserts and then we are golden...didn`t the 91 yj have a soft door on them i seam to recall that a buddy had one with a soft top and soft doors

Chopstick
07-30-2010, 07:13 PM
im going to smash out my windshield!

do it!! [15] [15]

Honky
08-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Well after a week of faxing and phoning the cop finally got back to me…and he was NOT happy. Talking with a real attitude on the phone he started to lecture me that I need to have mud flats on my jeep and how ICBC may not cover me in a crash but yes I am in the grey area and DO NOT have to run with doors. When I asked him about the window that’s when he said he I was talking nonsense and would not talk to me any further about that. When I asked would it not be the same as a motorcycle he did not answer and hung up the phone.

………….So no doors for me :party0010:

Greg82
08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Well after a week of faxing and phoning the cop finally got back to me…and he was NOT happy. Talking with a real attitude on the phone he started to lecture me that I need to have mud flats on my jeep and how ICBC may not cover me in a crash but yes I am in the grey area and DO NOT have to run with doors. When I asked him about the window that’s when he said he I was talking nonsense and would not talk to me any further about that. When I asked would it not be the same as a motorcycle he did not answer and hung up the phone.

………….So no doors for me :party0010:

He kind of sounds like he likes you. :)

C-Dog
08-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Next time he get's ya you know your getting a VI right............Dont get me wrong here im glad ya beat it but just watch he will be sitting around the corner from your work again one day and pull u over for some stupid reason

Honky
08-12-2010, 02:49 PM
LOL that is what I was thinking...and you know he is going to get the next guy with no doors as he "knows" now

barracuda
08-12-2010, 02:56 PM
i have a funny feeling that you will be given a far more severe Spanking next time LOL !

atoyot
08-12-2010, 03:36 PM
way to piss him off kev...hahahahahaha
dont ya know cops think they know everything !!!
and hate being told they are wrong, especially when they ARE wrong!!!!!
glad ya beat it though...
now get some goggles and fold down thaT windshield.

Honky
08-12-2010, 03:41 PM
thats how I drive the Jeep everyday

dirka dave
08-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Way to piss of the cops.

Thanks Kev.[16]

Honky
08-12-2010, 03:50 PM
I didn't piss off the cop....he was pissy before he even phoned me

dirka dave
08-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Next time he'll tazer you.

Gaybait
08-12-2010, 06:45 PM
could u somehow make halfdoors legal, if there not cut down too much ?

Happypants
08-12-2010, 07:40 PM
As long as there at least hip height while your sitting in the truck. Like mine,

Gaybait
08-12-2010, 07:42 PM
As long as there at least hip height while your sitting in the truck. Like mine,

wicked, cuz i wanna make a set;

bcmaxx
08-12-2010, 07:54 PM
wicked, cuz i wanna make a set;
Old pic but I had these on last year , and this year so far without any issue from anyone. I talked to our cvis guy, as well as an rcmp officer prior to building them. They both told me it is a very gray area. Some cops might give you trouble but most will just let ya be. The commercial guy told me to keep the full frame and to keep the doors at hip height at lowest and to keep the door handles.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/th_March1609005.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/?action=view&current=March1609005.jpg)

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/th_March1609004.jpg (http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/?action=view&current=March1609004.jpg)

Ironman
08-12-2010, 08:36 PM
If hes pulls you over again ill put money down youll be calling bcaa for a tow and have a box 1 vi in your hand

epic3
08-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Good on ya for standing up to the man!
Down with honky! I mean the man

But really Kev driving around at street speeds with the windshield down is right stupid. Unless you got damn thick eye protection or a full face helmet on.
I can't think of how many times a rock has hit my windshield right infront of my face and without a windshield that would be right in my face.
Keep doing that and you'll need the same optometrist as Robo.

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIING

barracuda
08-12-2010, 09:12 PM
the rules only apply to the little People ,
The Poor,
The tired ,
The hungry
the unwashed masses .

People stand up and do not drive with your doors , dont have a windshield and make sure you are a non conforming conformist .

and never forget that

arjan
08-12-2010, 09:17 PM
People stand up and do not drive with your doors , dont have a windshield and make sure you are a non conforming conformist .

and never forget that

don't forget to piss into the wind, the regular people piss downwind

mus-Tard
08-12-2010, 09:54 PM
he is going to be waiting for you kev

Honky
08-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Good on ya for standing up to the man!
Down with honky! I mean the man

But really Kev driving around at street speeds with the windshield down is right stupid. Unless you got damn thick eye protection or a full face helmet on.
I can't think of how many times a rock has hit my windshield right infront of my face and without a windshield that would be right in my face.
Keep doing that and you'll need the same optometrist as Robo.

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIING

that is Sooooooooo not true...look at motorcylce's no windsheild...no full face helment.

I drive with the window down every sunny day and I might have been hit with a bug twice in 5 years

barracuda
08-12-2010, 10:52 PM
I am always hit by bugs , thats the reason you have goggles or glasses or a face shield.

Chopstick
08-13-2010, 02:47 AM
[15] [15] [15] :D five characters

dirka dave
08-13-2010, 06:10 AM
I didn't piss off the cop....he was pissy before he even phoned me

My wife is like that too. [16]

C-Dog
08-13-2010, 12:00 PM
LOL that is what I was thinking...and you know he is going to get the next guy with no doors as he "knows" now

True that he is gunna have a no door rage going on go fuck yourself him though :D

Toyquad
08-14-2010, 06:47 PM
your a retard if you dont think rocks or other objects hit windshields.
why are there so many glass places around? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

epic3
08-19-2010, 11:57 AM
that is Sooooooooo not true...look at motorcylce's no windsheild...no full face helment.

I drive with the window down every sunny day and I might have been hit with a bug twice in 5 years

90 percent of motorcyclists wear a full face helmet and or visors only chopper riders and the odd goof scooter rider wear skull caps.
I guess its a lottery the more you play the greater your chances at winning but is it a lottery you wanna win?
Not to mention riders tend to stay away from construction zones and dirt roads you live play work and drive right through that type of territory every day.

hrd4mud
08-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Last summer I was goin to the store quick so left the gear at home just had my helmet and a tshirt. Was doin about 80 -100 km/h (speed limit was 60) a big rig goin opposite direction kicked up a rock, it hit me an inch or so above the left nipple. It almost made me wipe out, felt like I was shot. It ripped my skin open and created a huge welt, was a pretty good sized rock though.

epic3
08-19-2010, 09:28 PM
There you go Kev we have a lottery winner! And it almost cost him a nipple.

Honky
08-19-2010, 10:01 PM
lol thanks for the thoughts but you really have no idea

yes it's possible but like a bunch of bike riders I will take my chances

4skin
08-20-2010, 12:28 AM
as long as it hits him in the head he wont get hurt[f][15][15][15][15][15][15][15][15][15][15]

Honky
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
You know what is really dangerous is eatting chips on a boat at speed. Ask Chris, it sent him to the hospital

epic3
08-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Fine Honky don't say I didn't warn you.
Damn rebels!

lester
08-20-2010, 11:57 AM
if he nails you 2 more times you can nail his aXs for herassment we have had to do this with the prostreet cars

chevy69chevelle
08-26-2010, 09:01 PM
I|'m not reading this whole post, as i don't own a jeep. but it doesn't say you need a windshield anywhere, so i wouls assume it could be down.
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/26_58_04

4skin
08-26-2010, 09:46 PM
you need working ws wipe

old codger
09-02-2010, 06:28 PM
O.K. I've read all the Posts on your JEEP doors! Let me the first to say,
IT SERVES YOU RIGHT FOR DRIVING A JEEP!:dontknow:

4skin
09-02-2010, 08:18 PM
O.K. I've read all the Posts on your JEEP doors! Let me the first to say,
IT SERVES YOU RIGHT FOR DRIVING A JEEP!:dontknow:
nice burn lol and second post too

'Balmer
09-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Agreed, Well done[36]

atoyot
09-03-2010, 11:05 AM
You know what is really dangerous is eatting chips on a boat at speed. Ask Chris, it sent him to the hospital

hahahaahahahah go fuck yourself ..................:D .........
. i wont be eating chips on speed boats at high speeds anymore...:rolleyes:
.unless i have some damn eye protection hahahahahahaahah

atoyot
09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
oh and nice jeep burn oldcodger!!!!

Apathy
09-03-2010, 11:16 AM
for the horselss carages down here, when you have no windshield, you must wear eye protection.