PDA

View Full Version : 4 runners

Kita
07-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Hey so I'm looking at getting myself a 4 runner, and I wanted to get some feedback from people who actually drive them, not from some desk jockey at a dealership or on craigslist.
Things I'm curious about.....

what year would you recommend,

What model?

Which ones have the rear one that you can roll the back window down?

What years have you noticed have the most rust issues, any recall issues, or manufacturers issues?

Any general info or problems you've found with them are welcome info.

I'm working on doing my own research too, but I would love to hear from people who know their toyotas[cheers]

Murd0c
07-25-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm actually looking right now to get a 1997-1999 4Runner Limited right now. All runner's have a roll down back window and I personally think those years are perfect. With the 3.4 and a electric locker on certain models I'm just planning on lifting it and tossing 33's on it.

kamloopsyota
07-26-2010, 09:10 AM
85 is the best year with a solid axle front, efi and removeable roof. and rust issues would probably be the older 85-89 trucks....cause they're older and it happens

dirka dave
07-26-2010, 09:27 AM
I have a 97', 5speed with E-locker. it has 310 000 and still going.

the 3.4l is a great engine.

d0ubledown
07-26-2010, 10:51 AM
what year would you recommend,

3rd gen. 96-02. specifically the 98-00. 01-02 didnt have elockers available. 1st gens are nice with the removable top, 2dr, and the solid axle up front on the 84-85. but finding a minty one is getting harder & harder. 2nd gens (90-95) are nice, but the 3.0L isnt the best motor out there. its decent, but id rather have a 4banger.

What model?

either model...they're all good. sr5 or limited. depends if you want leather, fully loaded, fancy body cladding..etc

Which ones have the rear one that you can roll the back window down?
they all do. but of course, the older model you get, more likely there will be issues with them. the 1st & 2nd gen have a non framed tailgate which hinges on the bottom. and the 3rd gen + have the clamshell talegate which hinge up top.

What years have you noticed have the most rust issues, any recall issues, or manufacturers issues?

the older, the rustier. of course it depends on where it spent most of its life. the 3VZ 3.0L V6 motor had recalls for headgaskets. take the VIN to your local toyota dealership to see if its been done or still qualifies for the recall if it hasnt. no issues with the 3rd gen, and the 5VZ 3.4L V6 in them in much nicer, gives more power and way better mileage.

Any general info or problems you've found with them are welcome info.

speaking for the 3rd gen, no issues with mine that i had. it ran like a champ, and wheeled with the best of them. i had the oem elocker, and added an arb up front. the coilover IFS setup on the 3rd gens is much better and more durable than the previous generation torsion bar setup.

[cheers]

arjan
07-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Don't go more then 2-3" of lift , which sort of limits you to 265/75/16 or 265/70/17 size (32" basically)
I run that setup on my '02 and ground clearance is pretty darn good that way.

If you go bigger you start rubbing at the rear of the front fender, and with more lift your cv angles get to the point that everything wears faster.
Yotatech has a ton of info on the 3rd gen 4Runners, Ultimate Yota has a fair bit also.
1998 and up have the cupholders next to the ebrake, the '96,'97 have a tray coming out of the dash high up. Sort of a crappy setup.
I like my 02 much better that way the cups sit lower in the vehicle = less spilling.
Heater controls are update for the '98 and up also.
Little things like that make the '98 and up worth looking into.
5 spds are discontinued after 2000, and can be found with the elocker also.

Leaking axle seals and warped front brake rotors are common, I wouldn't get to upset about those on higher milage vehicles as they can start anytime again. (I wouldn't pay $1000 extra because it has none of those things basically)

I bought an '02 to replace my '97, so here a plug for that one :D :D :
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/1814133128.html

kamloopsyota
07-27-2010, 08:38 AM
how much ya looking to spend on a 4runner? theres a nice one for sale, built by taran at BCC for like 5 grand. super clean 85

stumanchu
07-27-2010, 08:53 AM
85 is the best...

got myself an 85 and am very very happy...

top comes off when the weather is nice...
22re is reliable..
solid axle is great for 4x4ing...

Murd0c
07-27-2010, 01:27 PM
I can't see a 85 being good for a DD, I was thinking about it as well but I need something comfy since I cross the port man every fricken day.

dirka dave
07-27-2010, 01:34 PM
I can't see a 85 being good for a DD, I was thinking about it as well but I need something comfy since I cross the port man every fricken day and I am a fat ass...

:D

Fixed it for ya bud !!

Arnee
07-27-2010, 01:35 PM
the 85 that taran built is nice and a unreal deal and well built. its got front and rear arbs and 5.29's those things bought alone are damn near what he's asking for it.

dirka dave
07-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I wish I had a better drink tray in my 97':(

Murd0c
07-27-2010, 03:29 PM
I can't see a 85 being good for a DD, I was thinking about it as well but I need something comfy since I cross the port man every fricken day and I am a fat ass...

:D

Fixed it for ya bud !!

hey sitting in the rush hour every day fricken sucks!!

Kita
07-27-2010, 09:34 PM
I definitely am looking for something newer than an 85, and I would need something that I could drive every day. Im still working on learning this whole truck thing, so the less maintenance the better. I would have to sell my cobalt first. I can probably get around 9 - 10 k for it, so that much is my limit for getting a new car.

Honky
07-27-2010, 09:41 PM
save all the hassles.......and buy a jeep....I mean come on why would you want a roof, doors, and a front window:dontknow:

Murd0c
07-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Hmmmmmmm this bad boy just popped up, exactly what im looking for except manual http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/1867192583.html

Arnee
08-02-2010, 12:44 PM
I definitely am looking for something newer than an 85, and I would need something that I could drive every day. Im still working on learning this whole truck thing, so the less maintenance the better. I would have to sell my cobalt first. I can probably get around 9 - 10 k for it, so that much is my limit for getting a new car.

if your learning the whole truck thing. buy the 85 i'm talking about it has everything that you'd want to put into a truck after you start to wheel. it might not be the smoothest ride but put some soft seats in it and buy some street tires and it'll be fine. its got a great motor in it. Its built to the tits. you buy something stock and you will soon want to start upgrading. Buying built you save TONS of money and time. and it was built by a Great shop so you know its built right. Take it from me i built my truck from the ground up ya i learned alot but i rather would of saved up some cash a built a truck already built and been wheeling the last 3 years instead of building[cheers]

arjan
08-02-2010, 12:47 PM
save all the hassles.......and buy a jeep....I mean come on why would you want a roof, doors, and a front window:dontknow:
and a ticket :D

Toyquad
08-03-2010, 11:43 AM
i bought a 97 2 months ago. its a limited fully loaded with e locker. has the 3.4 in it. So far couldnt be happier with it. I've had an 87 and a 90 4runner, they dont compare to the 97.

harvester_sorrow
08-03-2010, 07:29 PM
The newer ones are nicer for a daily driver that you can do some mild wheeling in. The older ones are great if you want to do some more hardcore 4x4ing. If you just want a daily driver for getting into the bush to go camping go newer. I had an 84 pick up with a 22re 4.10's and 33's and was lucky to get 200k a tank. My 2003 tacoma with the 3.4 will get over 400k to a tank and has twice the power. Something to think about if you start modifying an older one.

Kita
08-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow, I appreciate all the feedback everyone has given me!

I would need a DD, but its not too far since I work about 10 minutes from home. And I'm not ready for too much hardcore 4x4ing yet. Still a newb when it comes to that, but I want it for being able to get to some of the better camping spots that stupid teenagers in their civics and corollas can't get to.
I really like the body style of the 97-99's, and going from a car with nothing auto, I want it fully loaded probably the limited edition, but manual which im worried about trying to find.

Murd0c
08-11-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm going to be looking at a 97 ltd tomm, can't wait [36][36][36][36][36]

arjan
08-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Limiteds never came with manual transmissions, so you'll be looking for a while for that one. ;)

Kita
08-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Ah well that blows :(
glad someone told me though!
Boo at the general population not knowing how to drive standard! Therefore making car companies dumb down how to drive.
Urrggghhhh