PDA

View Full Version : wrong place, wrong time

Fuzzydog
07-23-2010, 09:15 AM
for the osprey, that is.

Crazy event this weekend. Went camping to a small, unnamed lake that we like to go to - no other people, beautiful, peaceful spot.

There are lots of loons, pelicans (they are skittish though, hard to get close to them) eagles have a nest on the lake and ospreys flying around too although we haven't seen an osprey nest.

so Sunday morning we see an osprey flying over the lake and an eagle is heading in the same direction, on a converging path but they disappear behind some trees. We go have a closer look down by the lake and see a commotion in the water. It's the eagle and he is in there for a good 30 seconds or so, then he takes off but no fish in his claws. At this point we are thinking the osprey and eagle were going for the same fish and the osprey had ducked out. Well after the eagle is gone my wife says there is something in the water there so I hop in the boat to go check it out and this is what I found:

The eagle killed the osprey. It looks like he drowned him as there was no blood anywhere. Sad to see that happen but I guess it is the nature of things. On the other hand, it gave me a pretty good opportunity to see an osprey up close and now I fully understand how it is that they catch fish consistently. Those talons are crazy!

RIP, little guy.

4skin
07-23-2010, 09:24 AM
wow thats wild to see and you watch crows harass eagles all the time
and not get it thanks for sharing

'Balmer
07-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Wow, what an amazing thing to witness! What did you do with the Osprey? It would make a cool mount if you're into that...

muddy mud skipper
07-23-2010, 09:52 AM
man thats crazy. i'd get him mounted, he's in perfect condition.

Fuzzydog
07-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I would have liked to have brought it into town to get it mounted but my wife was pretty sketched out about the whole thing so we didn't.....

....so, I can report that it tastes kind of like chicken....

KIDDING! JUST KIDDING! :D

We disposed of it discretely out there, just as it would have happened if we hadn't been there.

crazylike
07-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Thats awesome i wish i could have seen that..
looks like a awesome place to camp. Great story and awesome pics thanx for sharing...
Should have got him mounted with that story it be a awesome conversation piece...

atoyot
07-23-2010, 10:57 AM
thats a once in a lifetime event u dont see......very cool...
not cool for the poor dead one but thats nature..........

Fuzzydog
07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
aren't there legal issues with possessing things like raptors without documentation of where it came from? That was what made my wife all worried. As much as I wanted to have it mounted I like matrimonial harmony better.

Lieutenant Johnson
07-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Wicked story and pics! too bad , but as David Suzuki says, "thats the nature of things"

thanks for sharing

'Balmer
07-23-2010, 11:21 AM
A hawk flew into my master bedroom window (killing itself instantly) last summer and I gave it to my buddy who is into taxidemy stuff and he had it done at a shop in Langley. I never heard about any issues with it...

Taxidermy
07-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Yes, there are legal issues with raptors and any protected birds. If you want to keep it and have it mounted you have to get a permit. It has to be identified by Fish and Wildlife and a biologist and then a permit may be issued. Not always. The government decideds.

We were given a great horned owl killed by hitting heavy equipment in Langley. It took a long time to get the permit to have it mounted. Also cost about $60. Raptors are Provincial laws.

Even if you accidently kill a woodpecker or other protected birds there is a process. Any migratory birds are protected under Federal laws.

Taxi

mus-Tard
07-23-2010, 06:21 PM
so about how long does this take and what do you do with the thing in the meen time? keep it in your freezer?

dh_4_ever
07-23-2010, 10:35 PM
at bible camp I watched a baldy grab a seagul and fly as fast as he could into the shore, and slamed the seagul into a log, must have been 500 yards away and we could hear the THUNK when it hit... awesome fight before he caught it too.

Landlover
07-25-2010, 09:03 PM
cool shots, I love stuff like that