PDA

View Full Version : weird wiggle

crazylike
07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
can anyone give me some ideas what would cause a side to side wiggle in the front end. (i feel it in the steering wheel) i'll be driving get up to 85ish and it starts, gets worse as i get faster. i have done ball joints top and bottom both sides, brake pads, tie rod on driver side was told passengers was still good. wheel alignment two diffrent sets of tires both just mounted and balanced. Its a 90 dodge ramcharger 44 front

hrd4mud
07-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Unfixable give it to me [cheers]

or put a hoola skirt on it and let it wigle:party0010:

Im guessing u-joint, or maybe spring bushings, id start by swapping the front and back tires maybe its a bent rim they didnt notice when balancing the tires.

crazylike
07-19-2010, 01:21 PM
u-joint where? i had the u-joints in the rear drive shaft changed.

i will swap the fronts to back and back to front see if that helps.

how do i check the leaf bushings?

hrd4mud
07-19-2010, 01:41 PM
In the front axle, the front driveshaft shouldnt be turning when in 2 unless your cad is screwed but if it is that could cause a vibration too.

When your rotating the tires spin the front tires with the wheel turned a bit see if the ujoints feel tight.

Whoever changed your ball joints should have looked at the ujoints too though but if they didnt ive had em cause that same vibration.

hrd4mud
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
The leaf bushings if there bad enough to cause avibration should be able to see there shot, id start the truck have someone in it spin the wheel side to side and look at everything that moves and look for play in it.

4skin
07-19-2010, 02:50 PM
replace steering stabiliser shock it sounds like death woble
feels like wheels are wobling back and forth??

crazylike
07-19-2010, 05:45 PM
side to side wiggle

4skin
07-19-2010, 06:00 PM
thats the death woble steering stabiliser is shot or missing

crazylike
07-19-2010, 08:37 PM
i am looking in the book and all i see is a stabalizer bar. i don't see a shock type stabalizer on the center link, and there isn't one in the truck and i don't see where it would connect if there was one.

stockwheels
07-19-2010, 08:38 PM
track bar tight

crazylike
07-19-2010, 08:46 PM
whats a track bar? i guessing you mean center link ( the bar with the tie rod ends ) it should be tight they just did one of the tie rod ends and all th eball joints and did a wheel alignment.

4skin
07-20-2010, 01:35 AM
just buy a steering stabiliser kit for it od that it dosnt have one allready
did you have this problem before wheel alignment
what tires did you add swampers??
check the steering shaft from collum to steering box its a problem in those trucks

crazylike
07-20-2010, 01:54 AM
yup had problem was before ball joints then did wheel alignment then thought it was a tie rod since it wasn't gone yet so did that then i figured it was the mud terrains so i changed to all terrains but still have the same wiggle. the steering shaft is fuxored at the bottom end i don't think this would cause a wiggle from side to side it does allow for wondering but i don't think a wiggle. tommorrow gonna take over to buddy's house and rotate the tires see if it is a bent rim. if not a rim then i guess i will rebuild the steering shaft since they have the kit at chrysler.

4skin
07-20-2010, 02:18 AM
that will help you probaby have a wider tire and taller than stock
add a steering stabilliser my f250 shook bad i replaced stabiliser it stoped
to check wheels just jack up sowheel is just off groundfind some thing to hold a pointer at wheel rim spin tire

mus-Tard
07-20-2010, 02:29 AM
even a bad tire on the back can cause front end trouble. and the track bar is like a panhard bar running from the axle to the fraim and should be a shadow to the stearing link going to the pitman arm

crazylike
07-20-2010, 02:56 AM
i have a sway bar i checked the bushings there they seem to be tight and in decent shape still.

Always broke
07-20-2010, 08:36 AM
The track bar is a known problem on those I think Moog even has a special upgrade for it . To check the rest of the front do a shake test( get someone behind the steering wheel and shake it back and forth with the engine off and tires on the ground and get underneath and watch all the moving parts for play ... And a steering stab will help it out alot and is a good idea

crazylike
07-20-2010, 10:00 AM
i did shake test nothing looks loose i will be checking u-joints and rotating wheels today.

crazylike
07-22-2010, 03:01 PM
checked rims not bent so i checked the u-joints they seem tight. ordered a steering stabalizer kit will update further after it arrives and i get it installed.

Mopowa
08-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Invest in a borgeson steering shaft, stock steering wear out quickley. My 92 loved to do the same thing until I replaced the steering shaft

crazylike
08-01-2010, 01:24 AM
fixed the wiggle ended up being a bad tire on the back (just as rebel had said). i blew it today on a rock ripped a 4 inch gash in the side wall and after i put the spare on i can do 90 and 100km without wiggling like a yoyo :) still very minor wiggle but i agree it probably coming from the wore out steering shaft. you think the borg is worth buying for this old beater i mean it broke 300 000kms today the borg is 100 plus shipping handling and taxes or its 25 bucks and an hour to rebuild it, and there a couple rebuild kits at chrysler in town here..

FU Toolbag
08-01-2010, 12:59 PM
i'ld still put a stabilizer on it