PDA

View Full Version : Pump question

godtool
07-16-2010, 08:13 AM
I got ths Ford F150 recently. Air condotioning pump suddenly locked up and belt started smokin. So I unbolted 8 mm bolt from center of pump wheel. Took plate off and then plate next to it. Managed to get wheel to turn. Then put first outside plate back on with 8 mm bolt. Started truck up and wheel spun fine but slight wobble back 'n forth a wee bit. Will it be safe to drive it like that until I get a new pump installed?

Briannishi
07-16-2010, 11:10 AM
If they ac doesn't work just bypass the pulley with a shorter belt is it older than 93?

godtool
07-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Its a 96. I thought of using a shorter belt but the ac pulley may be in the way but then again I think you route it differently... diagram on rad support, got to look at it again... Found a pump for $50... but have not bought it yet...

mus-Tard
07-17-2010, 11:09 PM
should be an electromagnetic clutch on that. if you unplug it the clutch should dissengage and the pully should free wheel on the seased compressor just like when you switch the AC off.

godtool
07-18-2010, 06:23 AM
I unplugged it a few days ago. Still seized. Then I took the two outer plates off. There was a hard rubber washer between the first plate and 2nd. Appeared to be a lot of melting going on and the whole thing really stunk... I did free up the whel by getting it to turn slowly and then finally it was free. I left the 2nd plate in off in case it would seize up again... Its like the clutch is fried on it...

mus-Tard
07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
hmmm. most ac compressors are non servicable, just replace em.
that is what l would recomend.

Briannishi
07-18-2010, 11:30 PM
At least your running r13 and not the old r12 can still get it recharged if you really want to