PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues

PrimeT
07-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Well I replaced my started about 3 weeks ago and it was going good for another week after that but after about a week I had/have to pump the gas or it will just turn over until I do. Any ideas why that is? Another small problem possibly related or not I think that it is running rich because my tailpipe is black. Any help would be awesome. Oh its a 93 YJ, unfortunately with the 4cyl...

dh_4_ever
07-06-2010, 11:51 PM
see if there is any codes, thats the first thing to check... its most likely a sensor sending a bad single to your ecu

PrimeT
07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Hmmm well might I add that I am a full time student working out of my dad's garage, so I don't really have any way to test the ecu. So is there a way around using a computer to diagnose the problem like removing O2 sensor and seeing if something happens? I don't think thats a good idea but you get the thought process about alternatives I hope.

'Balmer
07-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Here ya go man. You don't need any special tools or anything...

http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/yj_codes.html

Check your damn codes then post up the results...

;) :D [36]

PrimeT
07-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Ah I see thanks for the help both of you! Life savers I tell ya. I owe you two a beer when I see ya next.

dh_4_ever
07-07-2010, 05:08 PM
if you remove the o2 while running it will fry it, ask Heep, he keeps doing it :D lol

also, budget and midas both do free code scans(up to 95-96 you got the chrysler onboard OBD, later needs a scan tool) , its what I do when the check engine light goes on my moms 98,

PrimeT
07-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Ok, so I followed that guide and all I managed to do was turn off my seatbelt warning at start up... which might I add is something I was going to cut the wire too anyways I still can not get any engine lit to lit up. Is does that mean nothings wrong ( I find that hard to believe with the age and the way it runs) or is somethign messed up with the ecu?

Trooper
07-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Its a jeep just burn it buy a toyota, cut your losses and get a 4x4 that women will be seen in

PrimeT
07-08-2010, 12:31 AM
The sad thing is the old land cruiser diesels are looking pretty good about now... but I won't give up on my jeep cause everyone should be able to say "beep beep imma jeep!"

4skin
07-08-2010, 12:42 AM
The sad thing is the old land cruiser diesels are looking pretty good about now... but I won't give up on my jeep cause everyone should be able to say "beep beep i do sheep!"
man id love 2 have a land cruser diesel jeep looks with toyote reliability[36]
whats the sheep thing about:dontknow:

PrimeT
07-08-2010, 12:46 AM
What sheep thing?! I said jeep a few times... but there is a jeep style landcruiser diesel for sale in abby I was looking at if you want me to get the guys number for ya depeneding how interested you are let me know.

4skin
07-08-2010, 01:01 AM
What sheep thing?! I said jeep a few times... but there is a jeep style landcruiser diesel for sale in abby I was looking at if you want me to get the guys number for ya depeneding how interested you are let me know.
is it the one on town line at the berry farm??

PrimeT
07-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Ha your from abby too, why yes it is! I saw it driving by to Sumas Mtn. one day and meant to go back and look at it but never got the chance. Have you looked into it?

4skin
07-08-2010, 01:31 AM
:dontknow: if its one im thinking of its got potental ther could be others lurcking around
this one is blackor sillver not shure what spray bomb had more paint:dontknow: was originaly tan

Chopstick
07-08-2010, 03:42 AM
doesn't that guy want too much for the diesel?

if you checked your codes and got no lights flashing at you then you did it wrong. if you have no faults then you'll have 5-5 means "end code" so the light flashes 5 times then a slight pause then 5 more times

PrimeT
07-10-2010, 03:27 PM
So that diesel on Downes the guy wants 8500. For the price difference of that and my jeep I will stick with my jeep and all its problems... oh and I talked to the guy at the dealership and he said that there is no onboard ecu check for anything above 90s if I remember correctly. But everywhere else I check says there is...