PDA

View Full Version : to glass, or not to glass

Apathy
07-01-2010, 08:42 AM
So, last weekend i busted another side window in my pathfinder.

everybody is telling me to put a piece of plastic in it.

I've lots 2 windows in 4 years so thats not too bad, the problem is that its a big window and when it breaks there is lots to clean up.

so, i know we have a few lexan / plexiglass guys on this site.

what should i use?

Lexan,
glass,
other..

all constructive input is appreciated.

UU
07-01-2010, 08:44 AM
expanded steel

Apathy
07-01-2010, 08:49 AM
expanded steel

need to keep the area dry. its next to my amp and speakers and where the kiddies sit.

vajayjay
07-01-2010, 08:51 AM
I'm trying to decide the same thing,but thinking of making window easily removable

UU
07-01-2010, 09:05 AM
need to keep the area dry. its next to my amp and speakers and where the kiddies sit.

so

4skin
07-01-2010, 09:14 AM
ihear you about cleaning it up if you replace it with glass put window tint on it
tint keeps glass bits together
i have plexi in my car still spudspudspudspudspud people after 4 years
have been carefull washing it
lexan would be more scratch resiistant not shure of legality down there
id pobably do lexan its tougher than plexi never break it

Apathy
07-01-2010, 09:20 AM
ihear you about cleaning it up if you replace it with glass put window tint on it
tint keeps glass bits together
i have plexi in my car still spudspudspudspudspud people after 4 years
have been carefull washing it
lexan would be more scratch resiistant not shure of legality down there
id pobably do lexan its tougher than plexi never break it

my other window is tinted, it came from the junk yard.

the other problem, is those windows are getting hard to find.

i found one locally for 75 bucks, i found one an hour away for 35 bucks.

UU
07-01-2010, 09:23 AM
if its flat enough I could put on some 11mil security film, it wont go anywhere and nothing will come through

4skin
07-01-2010, 09:35 AM
another reason 4 lexan cost
probably buy 4x8 sheet for that $ and have spares
i remember an article on a company called speed glass
lexan with some coating you could run wipers on it

UU
07-01-2010, 09:56 AM
[stupid]

but even then eventually the coating will scratch

I'd only go lexan if weight were an issue

4skin
07-01-2010, 10:05 AM
i went with plexi in my car cause a 1/4 window got broken only could find new over 800 bucks us

MacGyver
07-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Plexi will shatter and lexan will scratch and discolour but will not brake. I would go with glass if you can find it or take the matching one out and put lexan in both. :)

'Balmer
07-01-2010, 10:29 AM
if its flat enough I could put on some 11mil security film, it wont go anywhere and nothing will come through

What's that worth?

epic3
07-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I would keep it glass and run security film like Walt suggested. It will still break but there wont be any big mess.
Plexi breaks to easy and into big dangerous pieces that could hurt the kiddies and Lexan although less prone to breakage will still do so at that thickness with the same dangerous results. Secondly they fog up and you can't see out of them after a few muddy trails and logging roads.
You can get thinner then 11 mil film for automotive use and it works almost as good.

Apathy
07-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I would keep it glass and run security film like Walt suggested. It will still break but there wont be any big mess.
Plexi breaks to easy and into big dangerous pieces that could hurt the kiddies and Lexan although less prone to breakage will still do so at that thickness with the same dangerous results. Secondly they fog up and you can't see out of them after a few muddy trails and logging roads.
You can get thinner then 11 mil film for automotive use and it works almost as good.

thanks phil,
this is what i'm leaning towards.

I found a new piece of glass for 60 bucks (new to me)

England
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
carboard and duct tape I dont what the issue is here LOL

dirka dave
07-02-2010, 04:13 PM
I am still waiting for a tailgate....:fighting0071:

So I have no comment.

:D

dh_4_ever
07-02-2010, 05:34 PM
if anyone is thinkin about using plexi or lexan, you cant use window tint on it, the gasses emited from the plastic causes the tint to bubble, though you could use some of that "smoke" tail light spray, or get already tinited lexan..