PDA

View Full Version : To header or not to header

Tunabomber
06-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Its maint time

Im gonna be pulling the fenders and grill to replace a bunch of stuff and since im gonna be there anyway i should replace the stock manifold

is there a point in installing a aftermarket header or does it make more sense to just replace the stock one

just wondering if you gain anything worth the extra loot or not

[cheers]

4skin
06-22-2010, 12:45 AM
:D personly dont think headers are worth it in a 4x4 were you want power at low rpm cheep headers wont last long
dont think jeep manifold is very restrictive almost looks like a cast header
just my opinion[36] [36] [cheers]

Always broke
06-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Do it!!!

vajayjay
06-22-2010, 06:05 AM
I just put a stock manifold on after I built mine, heard the amount of gain I would get isn't really worth the cost of a header.

85chevy
06-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Headers will drop ur torque curve a little lower and provide more torque if yea put the right one on. But as to what affect it will have is questionable over the cost of a good one that won't warp on yea. If yea do go with a header I would suggest Flowtech gaskets for it as they are reusable and less likely to burn up like the ones that usually come with them.

dirka dave
06-22-2010, 06:29 AM
Get a shinny one, they make you go faster.

Moondog
06-22-2010, 07:45 AM
break out a die grinder and polish off the rough edges in your old one

Lazybaka
06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
love my borla , to a flowmaster with some jet coat to keep teh underhood temps down and the 01 intake ...really nice pickup in power all across teh board

Apathy
06-22-2010, 09:11 AM
just remember to get the right kind,
know that the I6 like to break them.

Tunabomber
06-22-2010, 09:12 AM
just remember to get the right kind,
know that the I6 like to break them.

yup mine has a few cracks:rolleyes:

Pudge
06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Eric, there a few available that have flexable pipe at the flange end, will stop the cracks. Call B or Mikey....you know that already...this time listen, lol.

Papa Pete
06-22-2010, 10:10 AM
ya flex all the way havent had a crack since putting in the flex one

B
06-22-2010, 10:23 AM
Eric, there a few available that have flexable pipe at the flange end, will stop the cracks. Call B or Mikey....you know that already...this time listen, lol.

never happen .....

[cheers]

Tunabomber
06-22-2010, 12:32 PM
ouch B :(

B
06-22-2010, 12:52 PM
ouch B :(

sorry forgot this ... [f] ....

but i stand by it [cheers]

:D

simply put the jeep's exhast manifold is a tubular style oe you can't get a thicker flange or the intake won't fit for twice the price you can get a header from banks, borla and maybe pacesetter [sp] ...

if the were a restickive cast manifold you would have gain's the guys that tell ya they made a huge differace relize it was mostly to there wallet [ yes thats @ you lazybaka seeing as we have met :) ] ... and i know of many peeps that have had those ones crack as well :dontknow: ...

id like to call it bang for buck when was the last time u ran your's @ mission eric ? the gain's they think they get can't be measured by the seat of your pant's other than you wallet is thinner ;) ...

just my2cent's dude ... so when should i order ya the banks one ?[cheers]

Apathy
06-22-2010, 01:13 PM
sorry forgot this ... [f] ....

but i stand by it [cheers]

:D

simply put the jeep's exhast manifold is a tubular style oe you can't get a thicker flange or the intake won't fit for twice the price you can get a header from banks, borla and maybe pacesetter [sp] ...

if the were a restickive cast manifold you would have gain's the guys that tell ya they made a huge differace relize it was mostly to there wallet [ yes thats @ you lazybaka seeing as we have met :) ] ... and i know of many peeps that have had those ones crack as well :dontknow: ...

id like to call it bang for buck when was the last time u ran your's @ mission eric ? the gain's they think they get can't be measured by the seat of your pant's other than you wallet is thinner ;) ...

just my2cent's dude ... so when should i order ya the banks one ?[cheers]

he wants more power?

aw, screw it then.. just weld up a nice 6 port zoomie..

Air care will love those.lol

Spedley
06-22-2010, 07:23 PM
For the amount of gains your going to see, stick with the factory shit. Aftermarket headers dont last or fit as well as original ones.

Lazybaka
06-22-2010, 08:13 PM
haven't run it at mission cuz they want the swaybars on it ..but it's really about being able to idle up the coq @1800rpm and 100kmh with the cruise on [36]

it wasn't easy.. or cheep to get it to where I wanted it ..

FKN MRK
06-22-2010, 09:37 PM
[cheers] I replaced mine with the header... I was just happy to have something that didnt leak. :D Thanks again Rod [cheers] If there is a power increase, maybe I only noticed it cause mine was cracked so bad for so long before fixin it up[cheers]

lester
07-15-2010, 02:34 AM
the old adage is the more you can get out themore you can get in. A good header is worth the money but is the rest of the exhaust up to it and can you tune for it that is where you`ll see the benifit of better mileage and hp and torque

dh_4_ever
07-15-2010, 03:39 AM
I got a banks one on my 4.7, but I also have the 2000 high flow intake and bored throttle body. when I cracked it (warantee no problem) I put a stock one on... WOW power loss... the jeep had NO torque.. more HP it felt like, but no torque.

that is with a 4.7 though, and a full 2.5" exhaust.
I would say weld it up. I welded one up with arc tec 223, sucker hasnt cracked yet (every piece of exhaust ive ever welded with that stuff for friends and family hasnt cracked)

nebowe
07-15-2010, 06:34 AM
a header would at least give ya more mileage on the way to the trails...and save a few pounds off the top....my .02

UU
07-15-2010, 08:47 AM
chrome ?

Ginger Snaps
07-15-2010, 10:33 AM
i think hot pink would be better for tuna...

B
07-15-2010, 11:09 AM
[cheers] I replaced mine with the header... I was just happy to have something that didnt leak. :D Thanks again Rod [cheers] If there is a power increase, maybe I only noticed it cause mine was cracked so bad for so long before fixin it up[cheers]

you replaced your's with a replacement tubular mainifold same as what im suggesting tuna use [cheers]

dh_4_ever
07-15-2010, 05:54 PM
i would second that. I only went with a header because I wanted to go all out on the stroker. I cant see a stock 4L getting much for gains with stock exhaust...if any..

UU
07-15-2010, 06:27 PM
i think hot pink would be better for tuna...

I stand corrected

D-Ass
07-15-2010, 08:58 PM
just run open exhaust! his jeep dosn't run long enough to be anoying:D