PDA

View Full Version : over heating

fullsizebronco
06-13-2010, 07:02 PM
I haven't had the time to pull anything apart to check it but I have noticed the truck start to over heat and when I opened the hood I noticed both rad hoses where sucked flat I popped the rad cap open half a turn and they filled back up this sound familiar to anyone? This Is a fuel injected 460ci

4skin
06-13-2010, 07:23 PM
low on coolant

tchevy
06-13-2010, 07:49 PM
yep, coolant, but where did it all go is the question lol

fullsizebronco
06-13-2010, 08:02 PM
it was full when I went out it did lose some out of the overflow ill check it later tonight and add some water

85chevy
06-13-2010, 08:05 PM
hopefully its a leak that is easy to fix and not a leaking head gasket

4skin
06-14-2010, 01:57 AM
did you let it warm up with heater on rad cap off could have had air lock check your over flow tank does it hold coolant??
is it hooked up??
check rad cap is drain back valve in cap stuck ??
needs vacume to suck hoses flat rad has pressure not vacume

radman
06-14-2010, 11:32 AM
sounds like a pluged rad. the pump draws coolant from the bottom hose into the engine, and should draw through the top hose into the rad, if the hoses are collapsed, the rad is probally not flowing enough to keep up with the pump causing a vaccume. one teltail is if you fill the rad to the top and walk away for 10 min. and its half way down, its probally pluged..

fullsizebronco
06-14-2010, 10:42 PM
ok well i filled the rad back up and it did not take all that much to fill it back up i watched for bubbles and seen nothing but i did notice a bit of almost orange oily stuff around the opening of the over flow but not much but when i get a chance i will let it run and watch again for bubbles and check the hoses what is the best way to clean out a rad if its plugged or is it a shop only kind of deal?

radman
06-15-2010, 01:38 PM
you can try some over the counter rad flush, i found the best is the kind you can leave in while you drive arround, then flush it out, if that dosent work, then your off to the local rad shop, or wrecker. as for leaks, other than the usual hose connections and hoses. depending on the year of the truck, and if the rad has been replaced, the early factory rads used an epoxy to seal the tubes to the header, and its common for it to lift and crack and start leaking. the other, i havnt seen a 460 do it, but i have seen several 302/351's start leaking between the lower intake manifold and heads.

Reeseman
06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
change the stat too