PDA

View Full Version : the fun of dual purpose rigs.....

tryn2wheel
05-30-2010, 02:19 PM
who can tell me what to be prepared for, when using your rig to commute to work and play up at eagle mtn and stave on the weekends.....just newb bs i guess, stuff like what to expect, what to bring as far as repair parts for trail repairs etc.....

98ranger
05-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Prepare to call into work sick alot, or finding rides to work when your rig is broken down.

You cant bring everything on the trail. Sooner or later, something is going to break that you cant just fix the same day.

Tunabomber
05-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Prepare to call into work sick alot, or finding rides to work when your rig is broken down.

You cant bring everything on the trail. Sooner or later, something is going to break that you cant just fix the same day.

thats nothing compared to the razzing yer buddies will give you when you go around something you could have gone over or through just because you were worried about breaking

Troy
05-30-2010, 04:28 PM
bring lots of tools and small parts that break often. like u joints, brake lines, fuel pump. i also bring lots of zap straps/zip straps of different sizes. also good vise grips for pinching off brake lines. spare tire, jack to put on spare tire. tow straps, shackles, come-alongs, electric winch if u have one, or a highlift jack, couple wood blocks for jacking or blocking wheels, jerry can, fluids like oil, atf, brake fluid.

if your by yourself always get out and walk something difficult first to avoid getting stuck and broken in the middle of nowhere

tryn2wheel
05-30-2010, 04:44 PM
thanks for the tips guys! keep it comin! i probably wont go by myself as i know how that goes(stories from a friend of a friend etc....lol) i probably will just drag a couple of buddies out to the trails and make them teach me all their secrets/tips/tricks so that eventually if i come out and run with you guyz n gals i dont look like a re-tard hahaha lol

and like i said before, i know all about the 4x4/wheeling scene, been into it for years, but have NEVER been wheeling and as you all know nothing is as clean cut as when your actually out there in the trails....and for me ignorance is NOT bliss....:ballsmack

Happypants
05-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Used to DD my jeep and wheel it and ya you get yo know the tow companys well, also u may be quite hesitant to try something that your buddy in front of u just did cause u have to drive it to work Monday u know, also getting vi's on ur rig sucks alot which made me buy the trailer and start trailering my rig around, I had gotten 8 vi's and basically passed the
last one, which costed me over 2500 dollars in repairs and shit on my truck,

Get a rig. And lemme know when u wanna go wheeling and we'll go,

tryn2wheel
05-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Used to DD my jeep and wheel it and ya you get yo know the tow companys well, also u may be quite hesitant to try something that your buddy in front of u just did cause u have to drive it to work Monday u know, also getting vi's on ur rig sucks alot which made me buy the trailer and start trailering my rig around, I had gotten 8 vi's and basically passed the
last one, which costed me over 2500 dollars in repairs and shit on my truck,

nice dude!, that must have been as fun as takin a bath in fast-orange

barracuda
05-30-2010, 04:58 PM
use the truck for basic roading and wheeling and dont let people talk you into wrecking your vehicle for thier amusment (they can do it with theres).

You can have a good general purpose vehicle you just dont have to kick the shit out of it and break it to be cool.

you might want to look into a quad instead of a strictly off road truck. Seems to me the quad guys have a lot more fun on thier quads then they do thier hardcore rigs.

pumpkin
05-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Wheeled the hell out of my DD for 5 years, then a drunk drove into the back of it and wrote it off. I never broke too bad to not drive it home in the hole time I had it. Wen I finaly get my ass in gear and get it back on the road, it will be my wheeling, daily driver again.

Happypants
05-30-2010, 08:03 PM
nice dude!, that must have been as fun as takin a bath in fast-orange

After a good day of wrenching I do shower in orange clean lol

4skin
05-30-2010, 09:50 PM
dont go out alone
my toyota is my daily driver havent been vi yet
most of the peeps on here wont push an inexperianced person
into something dangerous
dirka can teach you how to fsr
hahaha
watch for events trips ask what trails and whats needed
min locker or winch not good for learning
some stupidity shits geting dented

mus-Tard
05-30-2010, 10:02 PM
i know all about the 4x4/wheeling scene, been into it for years, but have NEVER been wheeling

:WTF

Hello Kitty
05-30-2010, 10:25 PM
all of the above and bcaa.
[cheers]

4skin
05-30-2010, 10:37 PM
all of the above and bcaa.
[cheers]
good idea ive found that mudding is way harder on parts than trails:D

tryn2wheel
05-30-2010, 11:16 PM
:WTF

meaning ive followed 4wheeling through tv and magazines etc......

Little Samurai
05-31-2010, 04:37 AM
I agree...Mud is way harder on parts than trail driving. Before I sold it I wheeled my DD and other than busting off a nerf bar and getting some BC pin striping I can't recall any mechanical failures that I could attribute 100% to running trails. Probably did more damage driving it in stop and go traffic for 3 hours a day 5 days a week. Just take it easy on the skinny pedal and don't try to show off or the bills will start adding up in a hurry.