PDA

View Full Version : eaton electric locker for the 8.8?

dh_4_ever
05-28-2010, 01:37 AM
I just blew up my 8.8 LSD in the cherokee towing my 4x4 trailer out of bible camp (got me home, but its missing teeth on the spider gears, cracked case and most of the lsd discs are missing tabs) :confused0006: Ive wanted a locker for a while, It has to be selectable mainly because I tow a 4000lbs travel trailer which is my home when im working out of town. Ive been in some rough snow conditions with it, and glad I had open diffs (jeep weighs around 4000lbs too, so the trailer can sure control the jeep)

the options ive looked into are :

ARB: I dont like air lines, plus even if you have it setup right, you have to pull the diff apart every 5yrs (With the millage I put on) to replace o-rings.

Eted: electric locking LSD.. Lsd's are nice, but to use them to be the locking device is fishy to me, with wear, which is enevitable (again, I put alot of miles on the truck) eventually the locking aspect will be useless..

ox: cables and sand, and mud and silt... just dont get along.. but I could get the electic activator with it, which would solve that problem, it would be the most heavy duty, but most costly as well

eaton electric: read alot of reviews, works well when correctly setup, its only drawback is that the locker, from what ive read can disengage when accelerating heavy in reverse, due to the "Ball ramp" design that is employed in the 8.8 (suposedly this design was changed in the dana 44, I dont know if it is still like this or not)

whats your guys input? anyone had any experience with the various lockers? how much cash am I gona have to save up to buy one?

Happypants
05-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I just blew up my 8.8 LSD in the cherokee towing my 4x4 trailer out of bible camp (got me home, but its missing teeth on the spider gears, cracked case and most of the lsd discs are missing tabs) :confused0006: Ive wanted a locker for a while, It has to be selectable mainly because I tow a 4000lbs travel trailer which is my home when im working out of town. Ive been in some rough snow conditions with it, and glad I had open diffs (jeep weighs around 4000lbs too, so the trailer can sure control the jeep)

the options ive looked into are :

ARB: I dont like air lines, plus even if you have it setup right, you have to pull the diff apart every 5yrs (With the millage I put on) to replace o-rings.

Eted: electric locking LSD.. Lsd's are nice, but to use them to be the locking device is fishy to me, with wear, which is enevitable (again, I put alot of miles on the truck) eventually the locking aspect will be useless..

ox: cables and sand, and mud and silt... just dont get along.. but I could get the electic activator with it, which would solve that problem, it would be the most heavy duty, but most costly as well

eaton electric: read alot of reviews, works well when correctly setup, its only drawback is that the locker, from what ive read can disengage when accelerating heavy in reverse, due to the "Ball ramp" design that is employed in the 8.8 (suposedly this design was changed in the dana 44, I dont know if it is still like this or not)

whats your guys input? anyone had any experience with the various lockers? how much cash am I gona have to save up to buy one?

weld it :D and use the money to buy beer [51] lol but seriously, i would do a electric but if your in snow, you may have problems with it not engaging, air, well, air lines get old so on and so fourth, i would just throw another lsd in the 8.8, hell i got a spare one sitting in my shop at my moms if you want it, needs a really good cleaning though,

dh_4_ever
05-28-2010, 02:04 PM
ive heard alot more problems with the ECTED having engaging issues over the eaton, what ive read is that the eaton can take a while to disengage.. up to a minute in some cases (on the dana 44 version which uses a cam vs the ball ramp design, the ball ramps eventually wear out, but eaton does provide a rebuild kit for its pins)