PDA

View Full Version : locker clunks

s10 broad
05-16-2010, 08:19 PM
so i have lockers front and rear and when im pulling someone out or giving er wheeling in four wheel the lockers seem to make a fair bit of noise . this is my first time with a truck that is locked so i would like to know if this is normal or if maybe something is not right . it has been like that since i got the truck bakc from the shop a year ago. so all the gear were professionally installed so i hope they did it right but anything from others that have lockers would be appreciated.

SquirreL-E
05-16-2010, 08:44 PM
what kind of lockers? cheap junk ones will bang and clang all the time. But if its a detroit or something decent it shouldn't make any noise...

stockwheels
05-16-2010, 09:26 PM
i got cheap power traxs and lock right lockers in my explorer and they never clunck or bang when they i mash the skinny peddle

vajayjay
05-16-2010, 09:32 PM
:dontknow: :D

http://www.funinbc.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108515&d=1243396181

s10 broad
05-16-2010, 11:03 PM
i have the true trac in the rear and detriot up front . i dunno what would make it clunk like it does when it is in 4wheel

Tunabomber
05-16-2010, 11:22 PM
even detroits make noise

i have had both my detroits installed profesionaly with new gears and all

and they still and will aways make that nasty ass noise that sounds like ya just broke a axle

4skin
05-16-2010, 11:33 PM
im with tuna on that detroits have always been noisy
ive had factory instaled detroits that sounded like bag of hammers

Cheeky
05-16-2010, 11:35 PM
your shit is fukered....I would take it to the shop and tell the bastards your trucks lockers clicks and clunks:mad:

s10 broad
05-16-2010, 11:50 PM
well that is confusing im getting two totally different responses. it just did it today at stave it was fine going thru a pit but when i got to the end and started to get stuck that was when it started to make the noises . so i dont know if this is normal cuz it only does it in four wheel when the lockers are needed basically if i am just crsuing easy through a puddle nothing but when those lockers have to work they tend to make some clunck:dontknow:

4skin
05-16-2010, 11:56 PM
was it turning all 4 tires
or was it klunking when you were turning???

Tunabomber
05-17-2010, 12:09 AM
maybe we need to bring back the sarcazim, free room [16]

s10 broad
05-17-2010, 12:14 AM
all four tires were turning . i dont know if maybe it could be the tcase???? cuz it only does the noises in 4x4 but to me it sounds like it is coming from diffs. does anyone have a video of what a normal locker with a load sounds like?

s10 broad
05-17-2010, 12:29 AM
i was also going straight to so the tires were not turned at all.

Cheeky
05-17-2010, 12:33 AM
maybe we need to bring back the sarcazim, free room [16]

My bad:( had too much fun today..... Glad someone get s it[cheers]

So back to the locker thingymajiger do some circles in a cul-da-sac for a hour maybe more..... if 1 of your tires is bald its working[cheers]

85chevy
05-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Automatic lockers will always make noise but should only make noise when they are disengaging and engaging. Like the detriot is always locked until it senses different wheel speeds when turning then it unlocks until u finish the turn. What size tires are u running?? The Tru-trac is only rated to I think 31 inch tires so what could be happening is its engaging and disengaging because ur tires are to heavy for it. I was looking at the Tru-trac for my truck but once I read that it was only for 31" and under I stopped thinking about it.

In The Zone
05-17-2010, 04:56 PM
All my detroits would engage with a good loud clunk never hurt shit and always scared the passengers

tchevy
05-17-2010, 07:15 PM
agreed, my detroit makes noise on and off the throttle.

pumpkin
05-18-2010, 07:21 AM
My detriot is for the most part not even noticed. Once in a while when taking off normal like, it will do a big bang as the gears lock. Under power there is no noise from the locker, its locked, the tires are making the noise. The only noise you should hear from a locker, is a ratcheting noise when one tire is turning slower than the other. A locker does not let on tire turn faster than the other. So if there is no tire slipage the locker should unlock when turning. I don't have much personal experiance with the cheep lockers, but the full on proper detroits work great. The cheep ones,,,,,,,,,well I wouldn't waste my money. You get what you pay for, you my get ripped off buying crap, but you usualy can't buy quality without spending a bit more than the junk.

bakelite
05-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Obviously it's something that is bothering you so I would get it checked out by someone that knows what they are doing then you will be at ease and enjoy driving your truck more. [cheers]

s10 broad
05-18-2010, 09:26 PM
yeah im just new to the locker deal so i dont know what is normal and what isnt. when i first got truck back i though the clickin around corning and random ban was not good put apparently its normal and im used to now . but just looking for comments and ideas. plus i would like to figure it out myself so i know :party0010:

m j
06-06-2010, 01:04 PM
those complaints sound like lunchbox locker not real detroits
a trutrac is not a locker, whoever convinced you to buy one is an asshole
can you post pics of the detroit? remove dif cover and get a shot of the carrier plz

skyjacker
06-27-2010, 04:14 PM
i got a lockright in my 9" it clunks rilly bad but i think thats due to the fact the moron who installed my gears didnt set the backlash properley its got way to much play , causing the locker to lock up all the time