PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass spider web crack repair help..

jonny6door
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
ive got a bunch of little spider web cracks in my fiberglass box, and just wondering whats the best/proper way to go about fixing these. they are small hairline cracks radiating from impact damage. i read on the net to grind them down slightly with a small dremel bit and then use just resin to fill and sand out.. any other ideas?? here is a pic i found on the net of what they look like

Gaybait
05-07-2010, 09:33 PM
yup thats what we do at our body shop. Depending on how bad it is sand em down and refill them with resin / matting if its bad enoff then resand and ur good to go. you dont necassairily have to go along the cracks with a dremmel, you can use a DA and just sand down the entire area fill it up then block it out.

jonny6door
05-07-2010, 09:54 PM
cool thanks.

4skin
05-08-2010, 01:25 AM
yup thats what we do at our body shop. Depending on how bad it is sand em down and refill them with resin / matting if its bad enoff then resand and ur good to go. you dont necassairily have to go along the cracks with a dremmel, you can use a DA and just sand down the entire area fill it up then block it out.
much easier than chasing litle cracks
it also depends on extent of impact damage
if its just gell coat fractures like picture this will work
if its cracked into mat grind it almost through re glass it
if you can get to back side of repair after glass has set grind backside
and re glass it