PDA

View Full Version : Raising the Net Weight and GVW?

bakelite
04-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Just got back from my favorite auto wreckers, he has the same truck as me, 92 Dodge Cummins LE 3/4 ton 4x4. He hauled a load of aluminum down to Amix last week in a 14 foot trailer, on the way home he got pulled into a truck stop and got a $350 fine for being overweight...empty! He checked my registration and showed me the Net weight (kg) is 2286, the same as his. My GVW is 5000, same as his. Is there some way of raising this? The only difference on the regi on mine is the Vehicle Type is Commercial. My GVWR on the door tag is 3861 Kgs. :dontknow: He weighed his truck and it is just under 3800 empty.

4skin
04-23-2010, 02:55 PM
just go to your insurance place they can change it i deal with kirby in mission never had problems doing it

m j
04-23-2010, 04:37 PM
there is a problem in the way ICBC rates stuff
everyone is getting tickets

longhorn
04-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I think its impossible to get legal with a pickup and trailer.
Ive tryed and have never made it yet.

You dont want to go over 5500 on your truck or then you have to start doing the scale deal.
Theres a thread going on BC 4x4 right now about this.

Checked my door tag on my truck.
4490 kgs or 9900 lbs
My registration say truck GVW is 5000
The truck weighs 3065 kgs.

My trailer registration just says commercial without any weights?
So it looks like I can haul 1935 kgs but thats not allowing anything for my trailers weight.
So I guess im probably overweight empty also.

nebowe
04-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Raised mine to 5001 and it was simple n cheeep......and no aircare...double bonus

ShuswapRedneck
04-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I went through this all already with my truck. It took a while to get it all sorted out, but I got it figured. If you're towing a flat deck trailer, and don't exceed your trucks door tag, or the axle weight ratings, and have your truck insured through ICBC for the proper weight, then you're fine. You can have your truck licenced over 5,500 KG, and you don't have to report to the scales, if you're not a commercial vehicle (I.E. no NSC number). I have my single axle semi truck licensed at over 10,000 KG, and that covers the truck loaded, as well as the tongue weight of my 5th wheel trailer, and I don't have to report to scales. It's registered for pleasure use, so it's basically just a really big pickup truck with air brakes.

Longhorn, you are overweight and can get a fine. Take the truck loaded with fuel, and yourself and go over the scale to get it's actual weight, then take that weight and subtract it from 5,000. That is the weight you can legally tow, trailer weight included.

longhorn
04-23-2010, 08:03 PM
I went through this all already with my truck. It took a while to get it all sorted out, but I got it figured. If you're towing a flat deck trailer, and don't exceed your trucks door tag, or the axle weight ratings, and have your truck insured through ICBC for the proper weight, then you're fine. You can have your truck licenced over 5,500 KG, and you don't have to report to the scales, if you're not a commercial vehicle (I.E. no NSC number). I have my single axle semi truck licensed at over 10,000 KG, and that covers the truck loaded, as well as the tongue weight of my 5th wheel trailer, and I don't have to report to scales. It's registered for pleasure use, so it's basically just a really big pickup truck with air brakes.

Longhorn, you are overweight and can get a fine. Take the truck loaded with fuel, and yourself and go over the scale to get it's actual weight, then take that weight and subtract it from 5,000. That is the weight you can legally tow, trailer weight included.

Thats why I said it was almost impossible to get legal with a pickup.
My trucks GVW is as high as I can go without going over 5500 and my trailers a light car trailer.
So I dont have any wiggle room either way.

ShuswapRedneck
04-24-2010, 10:31 AM
if you're not using your truck for business, then you can go over 5,500 and not have to report to the scale. Contrary to popular belief, you do have to stop at brake checks. Take note motor homes and RV trailers.

For instance:\

The GCWR (Gross COMBINED Vehicle Weight) for the 2011 Dodge Ram is 26,000 LB, or 11,793 KG. That means you can license it at 11,793 GVWR and be up to that maximum weight (truck, trailer and load included).

longhorn
04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
if you're not using your truck for business, then you can go over 5,500 and not have to report to the scale. Contrary to popular belief, you do have to stop at brake checks. Take note motor homes and RV trailers.

For instance:\

The GCWR (Gross COMBINED Vehicle Weight) for the 2011 Dodge Ram is 26,000 LB, or 11,793 KG. That means you can license it at 11,793 GVWR and be up to that maximum weight (truck, trailer and load included).

I use mine for business so whats the best way to go?

ShuswapRedneck
04-24-2010, 11:06 AM
the best way to go is to get a temporary change of endorsement every time you need to tow your trailer for work...unless you do it all the time. In which case you need to get an NSC number, and raise your GVW to cover the GCWR of your loaded truck and trailer. Keep in mind, once you raise over 5,500 GVW you need to report to scales, fill out a pre trip inspection every trip, have your truck and trailer inspected annually, etc. Also, you need to have the name your NSC number is under in 2" high letters on both sides of your truck.

m j
04-24-2010, 05:37 PM
and every violation or failed inspection counts against your NSC, and I dont think they go away in 5 yrs like a ticket does
also you have to keep records, and copies of driver abstracts and licences of everyone that you allow to drive it, and anything they do in the truck counts against your NSC
if you are using yours for business nut up and do it correctly

longhorn
04-24-2010, 07:00 PM
and every violation or failed inspection counts against your NSC, and I dont think they go away in 5 yrs like a ticket does
also you have to keep records, and copies of driver abstracts and licences of everyone that you allow to drive it, and anything they do in the truck counts against your NSC
if you are using yours for business nut up and do it correctly

You talking to me?

85chevy
04-25-2010, 08:33 AM
I kno a guy that ran into the samething but he wasn't using a trailer he was just taking stuff to the dump and when they scaled his truck at the dump he was over his GVW but he took the scale ticket to the insurance place and made them raise it. I had to lower mine from 11,000 and something when i originally got my truck the insurance people told me to lower it to 35,000 GVW. I was like how about not makes me wonder if I am legal when hauling loads of wood up to the mountain since my truck is 5,001 GVW currently. The other thing I think u need to worry about is the actualy towing capacity of the vehicle and what hitch u must use when towing certain weight trailers according to the manufacturer of the vehicle.

jethro bodine
04-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Here is a link that should explain it all
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle_inspections/PDF/080530_Rec_Vehicle_GVWR_brake_DL.pdf