PDA

View Full Version : Panhard bar on SAS ?

MundusPax
04-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm planning to swap a HP Dana44 in to my 2dr Tahoe
Will be leafs, about 6-7" lift and using 35" tires
Should I use a Panhard bar ?

B
04-08-2010, 05:12 PM
if ya have to ask that q you probly shouldn't do the swap ...

but tell us why you would use one ?

[cheers]

MundusPax
04-08-2010, 05:43 PM
if ya have to ask that q you probly shouldn't do the swap ...

but tell us why you would use one ?

[cheers]
ahh come on - don't be soo negative
I just spent a few hours on google researching this and I found lots of conflicting oppinions
some people say "a must" and actually sell kits (http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=224)
others say it's not needed with leaf springs
Wikipedia says that a panhard bar is not used on leaf suspensions
If you are not willing to give a helpfull oppinion - move on

Explorer guy418
04-08-2010, 06:01 PM
throw a 60 under it.

'Balmer
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
no, you don't need a panhard on a leaf set up - it will only limit you. Some manufacturers include them in stock set ups to make the rig very streetable but they're not nessasary...

Nutbar
04-08-2010, 06:34 PM
A panhard will make a leaf sprung suspension feel more stable on the street but is not necessary on a leaf sprung suspension and will also hinder flex on a leaf sprung suspension when off road. If you plan on wheelin it at all don't bother with a panhard, if your Mario Andretti and you're gonna try and carve 1g turns with it then you will definately need a panhard.

In The Zone
04-08-2010, 06:36 PM
well said

FU Toolbag
04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
F350's came with them, but that's because they have a front shackel and without it you would get a speedwobble almost instantly. Put the shackle in the back, and don't waste your time with a d44. You want a good axle, extreem yj has a set that will work very well for you. His are also set up for 4 link. Might be above your skill, but I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

B
04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
ahh come on - don't be soo negative
I just spent a few hours on google researching this and I found lots of conflicting oppinions
some people say "a must" and actually sell kits (http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=224)
others say it's not needed with leaf springs
Wikipedia says that a panhard bar is not used on leaf suspensions
If you are not willing to give a helpfull oppinion - move on

wasn't tryin to be negative at all:dontknow: i ever gave ya the cheers :confused: ..

i just want to know what your thought process was as to why u think you need one . what it's purpose for your application was gonna be ?[cheers]

B
04-08-2010, 06:52 PM
F350's came with them, but that's because they have a front shackel and without it you would get a speedwobble almost instantly. Put the shackle in the back, and don't waste your time with a d44. You want a good axle, extreem yj has a set that will work very well for you. His are also set up for 4 link. Might be above your skill, but I'm sure he'll point you in the right direction.

three link with panhard ..[cheers] then you will need one :D

m j
04-08-2010, 09:47 PM
leaves? really? why?

MundusPax
04-08-2010, 11:55 PM
wasn't tryin to be negative at all:dontknow: i ever gave ya the cheers :confused: ..

i just want to know what your thought process was as to why u think you need one . what it's purpose for your application was gonna be ?[cheers]

I spend 70% on road/highway
rest is mild/medium trails - basically old forestry roads etc.
I'm going to start without the panhard bar and see how it goes
cheers [cheers]

MundusPax
04-08-2010, 11:56 PM
leaves? really? why?

because it's easier and enough for my needs
and the only reason I'm doing it is the IFS is too far back and even with 6" lift and 3" body lift the 35" tire still rubs on the fender sometimes
this allows me to move the front tires 1-1.5" forward and I can finally get rid of the damn body lift

4skin
04-09-2010, 12:59 AM
because it's easier and enough for my needs
and the only reason I'm doing it is the IFS is too far back and even with 6" lift and 3" body lift the 35" tire still rubs on the fender sometimes
this allows me to move the front tires 1-1.5" forward and I can finally get rid of the damn body lift
fbh the wheel well back for clearance cheep fast easy all you need for fsr
askdirka haha:D
fbh fuckin big hammer[36] [36]

m j
04-09-2010, 06:05 AM
after you factor in all the crap required to do it well it is not any easier then a link suspension.
most people fuk up on the part where the axle really moves backward as the springs compress.
a simple ford radius arm suspension is 'easier'

FU Toolbag
04-09-2010, 07:28 AM
With the tinfoil frames those trucks have in front of the suspension area, and the funky bends ect they have, links would probably be easier.

'Balmer
04-09-2010, 10:09 AM
plus I've got a set of radius arms for cheap...

epic3
04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm half retarded and managed to put radius arms and coils under my truck in a weekends worth of work. It aint that hard and its not that expensive drives way nicer on and off road.

'Balmer
04-09-2010, 10:33 AM
...http://www.funinbc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104733...

4skin
04-09-2010, 10:49 AM
[15] [15] [15] [15] I'm half retarded and managed to put radius arms and coils under my truck in a weekends worth of work. It aint that hard and its not that expensive drives way nicer on and off road.
half retarded[15] [15] [15] [15] [15]
dont think so dude ocd maybe might be easy if you have decent fab skils
real dangerous if you dont
check out the bourgs build or baulmers even sqwirele nice fab
give you idea whats involved
by the way epic wikked 240 they were hard to find un rusty 30 years ago