PDA

View Full Version : spline problem, opps.

FU Toolbag
04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Made a small mistake. Got me a nv4500 and didn't do enough research first. I got the light duty one. The only real difference I've found is the output spline is smaller than the hd. It's a 23 spline on 1.25, while the hd is a 29 spline on 1.375. Now, in trying to make it work anyways and not wanting to spend $400 on a new main shaft and another couple hundred getting it swapped and the larger shaft won't work with my application anyways, and the simple fact that a ford 205 will bolt directly too it, except the input spline difference, ford being 32 spline, the simplist solution I've come up with is to find something that's the correct spline and then machien out the ford input and do a friction fit with some plug welds to lock the 23 spline section within the ford input. My problem is finding something that will slide onto the nv4500 output that I can machien down. I was thinking an driveshaft slip yoke or even a spider gear, just not sure what will work. Anyone got an idea that might work?

I'm not crazzy and I have the paperwork to prove it.

m j
04-04-2010, 10:47 PM
ford is 31 spline, chevy is 32 spline

the input from a dodge transfer case will be 23spline
maybe jeep junk too?

will be hardened so a ceramic cutter required to thin it down