PDA

View Full Version : steering box

longhorn
03-21-2010, 06:28 PM
88 Cherokee with the steering box broke off the frame.
Is this common and can it be welded?
I havnt seen it yet so not sure what the deal is but aparentley its been welded before and broke again.

Moondog
03-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Cherokee is uni-body pretty sure that the steering box is not susposed to be welded to the frame at all but if I am wrong someone will correct me.

Trailjunkie
03-21-2010, 09:49 PM
three bolts and a spacer is what it should be. ive done that a little to often, plate the shit out of it and maby a cross brace.

4skin
03-21-2010, 10:58 PM
and i thought that was a chevy thing

Lazybaka
03-22-2010, 09:26 AM
yes it's a common problem , companies make strengthened mounts AND braces for that , I always recommend the brace from the far side of the frame to the box itself (I weld my brace in as it's removable on the box side)
if you've even driven a Cherokee with one of these braces on you know the difference

'Balmer
03-22-2010, 11:17 AM
yes it's a common problem , companies make strengthened mounts AND braces for that , I always recommend the brace from the far side of the frame to the box itself (I weld my brace in as it's removable on the box side)
if you've even driven a Cherokee with one of these braces on you know the difference

Agreed. Too bad you're not closer... I'd fab sumthin' up for ya.

Happypants
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Cardboard is your friend here, box and plate around where the steering box goes and stich weld it to the unibody but take your time and staggar the welds, if you can on the inside of the frame go as close to the track bar bolts with plate as you can, same as the outside of the unibody goto the track bar mount and stich weld, about 3" long stiches will be fine, I've plated both sides of mine with 1/4" plate but still gotta Box it and I haven't cracked mine yet and I'm on 37's, I've broken steering boxes but not the frame, also get a steering box brace, they work wonders, also a track bar brace if u haven't already cause that will help with the unibody flexing with bigger tires,

longhorn
03-22-2010, 03:16 PM
The body shop wanted $1000 to do it.
I thought that was a little steep?

Zukibuggy
03-22-2010, 04:33 PM
That is expensive. better to just weld them your self

Happypants
03-22-2010, 06:31 PM
The body shop wanted $1000 to do it.
I thought that was a little steep?

hrmmmm depends, they gonna warranty it if it breaks again?

longhorn
03-27-2010, 09:42 PM
2 bolts were missing and the other one was loose.
Fucking body shop want a grand I fixed it myself in 15 minutes.