PDA

View Full Version : 91 F-250 question

FINGERS
03-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Lookin at a 1991 F-250 lariet single cab with the 7.3 L diesel.

Looking for any info on the truck are they a good pickup ?
Is that the good motor, heard it might be a cast iron block true?
Any pro's or con's about this truck?

Mostly be a daily driver and tow vehicle any info would be appreciated, Thnx

longhorn
03-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Get a 94.5 or newer with the Powerstroke .
You will be sorry if you get the older one , the powerstrokes tow 300% better.

epic3
03-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Isn't there turbo kits for those?
I've driven a couple never owned one and both were sooooo slow

FINGERS
03-15-2010, 01:24 PM
im not picking this by choice was offered it on a trade,thats why i was asking bout them is that 7.3 a powerstroke?

epic3
03-15-2010, 04:09 PM
no this one isnt a powerstroke

Ginger Snaps
03-15-2010, 04:11 PM
non turbo on that dave.. youll never kill it just dosnt have that much power

FINGERS
03-15-2010, 05:25 PM
k thanks guys ,not really a good truck fer pullin a trailor then,hmmm.

guess the deal would have to be good ,anyone know a price range they would be in ,supposedly with a but load of new stuff,So i will go see it and go from there

longhorn
03-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Nothing before 94 .5 is a powerstroke.
Theres just the regular 7.3 which is a dog and a Turbo Diesel thats a little better but still not great.

Deathtrap
03-15-2010, 05:38 PM
My dad has a 90 with the 7.3 and a banks sidewinder turbo system on it, has plenty of power to tow. I've driven both that and the 94 turbo and a 97 power stroke, all had the 5 spd and went pretty damn good. If you got the money to do a turbo setup on the older truck then go for it.

Tha_Stepside
03-15-2010, 08:52 PM
regular 7.3 is an international navistar engine with an opposed plunger dist. type pump. very reliable, and has one of the cheapest fuel pumps to service (seen many rebuilt for under $1000). Keep that in mind, the engines fuel system needs to have been maintained well, or you are going to have a lot of problems in the future (same truth goes towards any diesel). If you turbo the 7.3 you are going to need to upgrade the injectors and possibly re-work the pump for the most reliable turbo upgrade otherwise you are going to burn up your engine because you arent getting enough fuel (running a leaner engine the more air you pump in.) Diesels are a lot of work, im a Heavy Mechanic and I certainly dont see the plus side in them compared to gas engines unless you are working them hard. They are a lot more expensive to maintain, and when they do wear out (just as much if not worse than gas pots due to improper maintenance) they get VERY expensive. This is just my 2-cents, but take it to heart if you are serious about going diesel.

longhorn
03-15-2010, 11:00 PM
regular 7.3 is an international navistar engine with an opposed plunger dist. type pump. very reliable, and has one of the cheapest fuel pumps to service (seen many rebuilt for under $1000). Keep that in mind, the engines fuel system needs to have been maintained well, or you are going to have a lot of problems in the future (same truth goes towards any diesel). If you turbo the 7.3 you are going to need to upgrade the injectors and possibly re-work the pump for the most reliable turbo upgrade otherwise you are going to burn up your engine because you arent getting enough fuel (running a leaner engine the more air you pump in.) Diesels are a lot of work, im a Heavy Mechanic and I certainly dont see the plus side in them compared to gas engines unless you are working them hard. They are a lot more expensive to maintain, and when they do wear out (just as much if not worse than gas pots due to improper maintenance) they get VERY expensive. This is just my 2-cents, but take it to heart if you are serious about going diesel.

No diesel injector pump in the Powerstrokes.
They are fired with oil not diesel.

03-15-2010, 11:16 PM
I hear they are real good on fuel if thats a concern.

FINGERS
03-15-2010, 11:40 PM
need a hauler and the feul system has been redone ,so i will look

Tha_Stepside
03-16-2010, 04:53 PM
No diesel injector pump in the Powerstrokes.
They are fired with oil not diesel.

In the 94 and up Powerstroke yes they did use the HEUI injection system, there is a transfer pump in those systems as well. But the 7.3 non-powerstroke used the opposed plunger inlet design pump, a much better and simpler design than CAT's HEUI system.

Cwheeler
03-19-2010, 09:26 PM
I tow with my 1990 F250 diesel, its not the quickest but it tows 10,000cap flat deck and my Ranger just fine. The old IDIs (non powerstrokes) may not have the power a powerstroke puts out but they are ALOT cheaper to maintain and repair, for instance thers no computer or sensors its all mechanical and you can almost replace almost the entire fuel system on an IDI for the cost of one injector in a PSD, and thers 8 of em, on top of that a fucking valve cover gasket for a powerstroke is 250$ PER SIDE....! just put a turbo on the IDI and it will wake it up considerbly.

fordpower
03-22-2010, 06:53 PM
I got a 93 crewcab with 7.3 IDI Turbo and i think it kicks ass. Lots of power for towing.... Just put bigger injectors in & crank the pump.... Cheaper to fix then powerstrokes too.....

radman
03-24-2010, 11:09 AM
not a race winner, but reliable as hell, easy to work on, and they get the job done. owned 3, and they where all over 400,000 km. the only issues i had where autollite glow plugs, and the fuel return lines.

fullsizebronco
03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
i have a 94 idi turbo 7.3 5 speed and love it tones of power i can pull hard away from my buddies 95 f150 5.0 5 speed reg cab long box with some mods easy and that's with my truck being an x cab long box loaded with tidy tank work box etc i have had little to no problems with it other than the fuel return lines easy but annoying fix and if done right will not bother you for a long time ! and i put new injectors in because on the first start up of the day it would smoke because the injectors leaked a little but it still started great and ran awesome for all 8 was cheaper then one power stroke injector and i have beat on this truck in mud pulling etc but i am not afraid of it leaving me on the side of the road because of any motor problems if you get it and make sure the little things like the return lines are looked after im sure you will love it and it only gets better with a turbo! and so easy to work on!