PDA

View Full Version : White oil

xj-jamie
03-08-2010, 11:37 PM
So I checked the oil a week or two ago and besides being dark didn't look out of the ordinary.... Checked it today when I got gas and at the very bottom of the dipstick was white oil and the rest was normal...

No my truck has been sunk in any water. I haven't been out in a month or so wheeling, and the expansion tank wasn't down much if any fluid.... But it was dark I'll have to check more in daylight...

But it was normal two weeks ago and no wheeling????:confused: :dontknow:

Gaybait
03-08-2010, 11:39 PM
weird.. could be the start of ur head gasket.

4skin
03-08-2010, 11:51 PM
[cheers] could be condensation from sitting colects in dipstick tubelooks milky
not tan or brown
if it was in oil pan mixing it will look like poo keep eye on it if oil looks cleen
no wories:)

JACKNIFE
03-09-2010, 10:52 AM
the breather tube on your valve cover, pull it off and wipe the inside out. Ive found the jeep engine doesn't let moisture out readily and if that tube is gummed up with oil it wont allow water vapor to exit causing condensation on the dip stick.

I ended up dumping like 8 litres of oil before figuring that out hopefully it helps for you too!

harvester_sorrow
03-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Seems to be a common problem with the dipsticks on jeeps. I find a lot of them have rust on the dipstick.

xj-jamie
03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Phew I guess.... But noticed a substantial oil leak under my truck today coming from th passenger side of the engine The engine is tired has over 305xxx and judging by how rough the engine is would assume it was never taken Care Of well and beaten pretty bad...

Time for a rebuild or swap

vajayjay
03-09-2010, 05:20 PM
If it's the passenger side it's probably just you'r filter housing
Not really a big job
Take filter off, undo one bolt and replace seal against block [cheers]

xj-jamie
03-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Saweet. Thanks.... But I just found a HO and 5 speed with super low kms wicked deal. Deal pending on engine but if it falls through I'm picking it up tommorow and gonna get the tranny ne ways Sooooo engine swap due

xj-jamie
03-09-2010, 06:27 PM
How's the swap going on your end j? What engine shop at you going with

vajayjay
03-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Waiting

Ended up using B&J (B@J)

xj-jamie
03-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Sweet. Good call did you go stroke or just rebuild

BushWhackXJ
03-09-2010, 10:33 PM
that will happen to any vehicle when it is only driven for short periods of time as well.... When an engine goes from hot to cold a lot without having a time to get hot enough in between to evaporate and remove any condensation. it just builds up and looks like white foam on your oil fill cap and possibly dipstick etc.

just for future reference... not saying that it was necessarily the cause in your case
Cheers