PDA

View Full Version : High Idle and Check Engine Light

youngun
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Probably the wrong place to ask, but im not on any other forums.

Just cleaned the throttle body on my friends Toyota Echo. Took the throttle body off and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner, let it air dry and put back together.

The MAF sensor was also really dusty and dirty. So we bought a Electrical cleaner that was "sensor safe".

Put everything back together and now it is idleing 4 or 5 times higher then it should and the check engine light is on.

I'm starting to wonder if the "sensor safe" cleaner was not so sensor safe and messed up the MAF sensor. Cause i know that they are very very delicate.

Any opinions? I'm still leaning toward a new MAF and see what happens.

Jayota
03-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Get the codes pulled. You should be able to get somebody to do it for a few beer or something, takes all of 10 mins of sitting on yer ass in the seat :)

But you might have buggered it up.

try pulling the battery cable for 20 mins and let the computer re-set. At least thats how my trucks computer works, dunno if they changed it or not

duff
03-03-2010, 06:35 PM
vaccume leak

regulate34
03-03-2010, 08:14 PM
vaccume leak

thats what i was thinking

would explain the the idlein
and is its a bad one it would also trigger the checkengine light

youngun
03-04-2010, 02:36 AM
So, got looking today. I unpluged the battery for about half an hour to reset the computer. Hooked everything back up, perfectly normal idle, and no check engine light. So i guess the computer just needed to be reset after the throttle body and MAF sensor cleaning.

dirka dave
03-04-2010, 05:19 AM
The same thing happened to me in my 97 luxo with a 3.4 L when I cleaned out the throttle body.

I just had to run it for a while, then it all went back to Normal.

BTW. Don't be afraid to ask a question in this room, there are lots of people that have many years of wrenching here.
[cheers]

youngun
03-05-2010, 01:28 PM
ye ye, its a car so i was not sure if it suited the forum, but i guess its a toyota. And it gets me the parts for my truck so i have go have fun in bc :)

tchevy
03-05-2010, 03:39 PM
ovr time the vehicle compesates for a dirty throttle body, so the fel adaptives must me reset. as per disconnecting the battery[cheers]

4skin
03-05-2010, 10:17 PM
:confused0006: :confused0006: man sometimes ya miss carbs and points:confused0006:
oh yea half uve you are going carb:dontknow: [wtf]
its a controled fuel leak:dontknow: points[f]
not that kind they broke the ground causing coil to fire:fire

IF YOU CANT FIX IT WITH A HAMMER
IT MUST BE ELECTRICAL