PDA

View Full Version : Where can your exhaust legally exit?

bigrig81
03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
hey guys just redoing the exhaust on my 90 f150 and i thought i would drop a quick line to ask around if it's legal to exit my exhaust just behind my cab. is this a bad idea in general? i haven't paid much attention to it before. thanks!

:D

Explorer guy418
03-03-2010, 12:39 PM
just be carefull if u have nice wheels on it.

'Balmer
03-03-2010, 12:41 PM
I would go at least as far as to dump it in front of the rear wheels. If you go right behind the cab you'll be sucking a lot of fumes on slow trails...

Always broke
03-03-2010, 01:11 PM
If you exit by the rear of the cab it can drone really bad on the road and some aircares won't test it, also the trail thing is very true I hated when it did it onmy Dodge

86exra-cab
03-03-2010, 01:19 PM
i had it on my toy and never had a problem with it worked great

'Balmer
03-03-2010, 01:44 PM
i had it on my toy and never had a problem with it worked great

Ever feel sleepy while wheeling? Do your friends compliment you on your cherry red complexion? If so, you're being poisoned by CO.
I'm pretty sure an F-150 will put out a whole lot more exhaust gas than a toy too.
:cool:

bigrig81
03-03-2010, 03:03 PM
sounds good,... i was going to go in front of the rear wheels.. sorry i wasn't precise in my explanation.... and thanks for the heads up on the trail and fumes issues.. never thought of that!

85chevy
03-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Mine dumps out just in front of the rear axle they wanted $70 per side to go over the axle and out I was like no thanks but then again my truck has never and will never go to air care so it works out.

epic3
03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
aircare will test it poking out infront of the rear wheels

kootenaycat
03-03-2010, 11:39 PM
just be carefull if u have nice wheels on it.

You remember when the '97 F150 came out? I must have put a few dozen warranty centre caps on those right rear wheels until they came out with a TSB to replace the muffler and add a tailpipe. :D Then the '98s came with tailpipe behind the wheels.

dirka dave
03-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Behind rear tires.

theborges
03-04-2010, 07:45 AM
there is no regulation that stops you from putting the exhaust out the side you just have to be 6 inches past the door if i remember right. i used to have mine go out the side but now its going up a stack cause i can

ROBO
03-04-2010, 07:57 AM
did that but air care wants it flush with body min.. or they wont bend over and put the probe in.. i argued with them .. left and jamed 3' of abs on my pipes .. then they tested it!! if u exit befor the rear wheels.. just angle the dumps down a bit.keeps shit from gettin in there and less obnoxtious .

bigrig81
03-04-2010, 11:48 AM
ok sweet sounds good! i will be taking a look next week and seeing what material i have to work with to see how I am going to do it!

85_GMC_4x4
03-04-2010, 06:58 PM
there is no regulation that stops you from putting the exhaust out the side you just have to be 6 inches past the door if i remember right. i used to have mine go out the side but now its going up a stack cause i can

Close. The official rule is that it has to exit "after" the passanger compartment. Not sure about the 6" thing.

On a regular cab truck, 6" behind the door would probly do it. On a SUV, it has to go all to the back.

On a pickup I would reccomend exiting just before the rear wheels. I had it like this on my truck, and only rarely had to breath exhaust on the trail.

Hyenuf
03-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Just a word to the wise here... I run a 351 W in the Bronco.. Tailpipes exit in front of the tires.. Not my doing..... DRONES LIKE A SON OF A BITCH at cruising speed.....

I cannot wait to tear that shit out.. Don't get me wrong.. it was well built...hedman headers and Flowmasters... well mounted as well.... sounds AWESOME!.. but the DRONE......GAWD!!

Just my $0.02

vajayjay
03-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Put dual stacks on it:rolleyes:

nykoma
03-04-2010, 09:35 PM
had a set on an old blazer dump out in front of the tires and slow speeds we were sucking fumes dump out the back sides or straight back[cheers]

kootenaycat
03-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Just a word to the wise here... I run a 351 W in the Bronco.. Tailpipes exit in front of the tires.. Not my doing..... DRONES LIKE A SON OF A BITCH at cruising speed.....

I cannot wait to tear that shit out.. Don't get me wrong.. it was well built...hedman headers and Flowmasters... well mounted as well.... sounds AWESOME!.. but the DRONE......GAWD!!

Just my $0.02

had a set on an old blazer dump out in front of the tires and slow speeds we were sucking fumes dump out the back sides or straight back[cheers]

Guess that's why they make regulations. :D

Last time I looked at the regs it says it has to exit behind the passenger compartment and at the perimeter of the vehicle, so for a truck it has to be behind the cab and tailpipe can't terminate underneath. SUV and cars has to exit behind rear wheels and same thing - can't terminate under vehicle. Just some common sense thing I think. :dontknow: