PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts

86exra-cab
03-03-2010, 12:09 AM
ok so what are your thoughts on body lifts, ball joint spacers, lift blocks, coil spacers, basically any cheap way to lift your rig?...

I'M NOT LOOKING FOR ADVICE JUST YOUR OPINIONS

body lifts i'v never seen one fail and i don't know why so many people hate them, i can understand if your going bigger then 3" it's illigal and starts looking stupid fast. But i would think u gain the ability to run bigger tires the heavy stuff stays low to the ground aka frame, axles, suspention, motor, tranny, it gives you a little extra room in the engine bay and underneath.

and lift blocks well as long as ur not running anything bigger then a 2inch block same thing i don't see any problems

but some people seem to have a real hate on for them. Looking for your opinions and reasons to back them up?

crazylike
03-03-2010, 12:33 AM
I personally like having my body lift it makes wrenchin easier

dirka dave
03-03-2010, 05:29 AM
I personally like having my body lift it makes wrenchin easier

I agree, I have a 3" in my 82' Toy, and a 2" in my 97' Luxo.

FU Toolbag
03-03-2010, 06:35 AM
A 3" body lift is max due tothe physics of them. The forces of your chassis braking and your cabs velocity, if you go higher than 3" there is a hiogher chance that your cab will roll forward, and that's just not cool. The lift blocks are just a pain in the axle wrap area. I know several who've done ladder bars or track bars to fix the problem but if you want to get about 5" it's far better to flip the rear shackle then cut and weld your spring perches.

I do like body lifts. Makes working on stuff easier most of the time, as well as giving you more tire clearance without raising your C. of G. too much.

Jayota
03-03-2010, 10:57 AM
body lifts are great, provided you have good grade 8 bolts :)

So much more room to work with, makes alot of things so much easier.

Everything has its place... The only thing I wouldnt run is leaf blocks, unless they are tiny.

Beware of webwheelers!

86exra-cab
03-03-2010, 11:49 AM
it's funny cause i agree with all of you but i read some posts and some people just hate body lifts even a 1 inch they will tell you its stupid but they have never given me a valid reason

'Balmer
03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
There's nothing wrong with a good quality body lift, as stated they allow you more tire clearance and better access to undercarriage. Lift blocks create axle wrap. BJ spacers wear out you front end. My 2 cents...

Jayota
03-03-2010, 05:54 PM
I really think bigger tires wear the front end out more then BJ spacers, but the combination does do the steering parts in fast (the idler arm needs a brace!). After 3 hard years of use one of my balljoints is starting to pop around left hand corners..

I don't understand why people bash body lifts, some of the most hardcore rigs have them. Way to many reasons to list why they rock.

The only thing I dont like about my body lift is the shudder the truck gets if I hit a hard bump or pothole. But I think that also has to do with my rear suspension not really doing anything but bouncing around :D

85chevy
03-03-2010, 09:15 PM
The only thing I dont like about my body lift is the shudder the truck gets if I hit a hard bump or pothole. But I think that also has to do with my rear suspension not really doing anything but bouncing around :D

Now think of the leverage that puts on the body. Friend of my cousin's did a body lift on his Jeep and ended up having to scrap the body because of the forces from the body lift twisting and straining the body so sometimes its not bad other times ur not gonna like what happens. To each there own though Kinda like a guy running 44s on a dana 44 and it last years and the next guy blowing axles and pinions everytime he goes out. But I think a lot of people that have put a body lift in won't ever do it again and usually go with suspension lifts because the same goes for lift blocks.

FU Toolbag
03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I was going to put a 3" body lift in my chev to clear the 35/36's but after figuring the rear air wouldn't work with that height and I found a 6" suspension lift and ditched the body lift idea.
A lot of people still have the mental block of the old stacking hockey pucks idea. Using one isn't bad, it's when they're stacked that they slide around. In all honesty, I think lift blocks for the rear suspension are more unsafe than bodylifts. I've seen more trucks spit out lift blocks than cabs rolling off their body lifts.

86exra-cab
03-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Now think of the leverage that puts on the body. Friend of my cousin's did a body lift on his Jeep and ended up having to scrap the body because of the forces from the body lift twisting and straining the body so sometimes its not bad other times ur not gonna like what happens. To each there own though Kinda like a guy running 44s on a dana 44 and it last years and the next guy blowing axles and pinions everytime he goes out. But I think a lot of people that have put a body lift in won't ever do it again and usually go with suspension lifts because the same goes for lift blocks.

i don't understand this the only differce between stock and body lift is that the bolts are 2 or 3 inches longer i can't see this twisting and causeing the body to strain seems to me the body would have strained even if there was no body lift...

PIGDOG
03-04-2010, 02:08 AM
I run a 2" body lift and I probably wouldn't do it again, My cab is cracked at the mounts from it but I wheel pretty hard. I keep it because I built my sliders and bumper to go with the b lift.

theborges
03-04-2010, 06:50 AM
body lifts are fine just make sure you mounts on the frame and the body are in good shape and you use a good kit. body lifts put more stress on your cab and can cause the truck to feel like it is rolling more cause of the higher center of gravity. just pay attention to your mounts when you do it. I have done my own lifts by using 2" box tube and make spacers that i welded to the frame and bolted. still use the the rubber spacers cause you dont want your cab to be mounted without them. Thats my 2 cents

ROBO
03-04-2010, 06:59 AM
body lifts rock!!.. i got a 10" lift in mine .. workin on shit is a dream!!

lincoln locked
03-04-2010, 07:52 AM
i have ran 3" body lifts in both my 4-runners and i only had one problem and that was when i acadently jumped the truck in a drainage ditch crossing the road did about 12'to 15' of air and then landed off the road doing about 40k , it pushed the body slitly forwerd and i could not shift into any of the forwerd gears 1,3,5, made it home loosend off the body bolts and addjusted the body back into place and never had any other problems i thay are great ,needles to say accessing the gas tank ,shifter linkcage ,and overall cleaning the truck it is awesome i would hate to do some of the work without a lift my 2 cents

FZJ80
03-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Personally 2" would be max for the body lift and with larger diameter blocks and hardware if possible.
Suspension blocks 1 1/2" - 2" max but with a anti wrap bar.
Ball joint spacers, if you think you need them, what you really need is a live axle swap.

4skin
03-04-2010, 12:08 PM
[36] body lift is cheepest easest to instal keeps cg low
dont gain ground clearance but biger tires do
suspension blooks only ok inrear
can cause spring wrap ive broken aluminum blocks
and spit steel ones out
:( ball joint spacers igues there cheep
need wheel alignment 4 3/8 x2 bolts in shear
try cuting one with chisel nhamer how many times u seen guys break
ball joints seems like alot 4 what 1 -1 1/2 in lift

opinions are like assholes everyone has one[redneck] [redneck] [redneck] [redneck] [redneck] [redneck] [blah] [chugging]

Jayota
03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
opinions are like assholes everyone has one[redneck] [redneck] [redneck] [redneck] [redneck] [redneck] [blah] [chugging]

So true. Moral of the story, take the info you get on the net with a grain of salt... Make your own decision.

fullsizebronco
03-13-2010, 09:28 AM
i have to say this is the fist time i have read any thread with positive things to say about body lifts i have 3 trucks now that all have 3 inch body lifts in them and have never had a problem 2 trucks came with the body lifts and i ended up putting one in my diesel sooo much more easy to work on things with it in there