PDA

View Full Version : XL michelin tires

Mopowa
02-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Well I found a set of 11.00R16 XL Michelins that I am going to sipe the crap out of and throw on my 92 W250 Diesel. I am getting them really cheap so I can't turn it down. Just curious if anyone has any experience with these tires on the highway? Through my research I hear people saying they are great on the highway or they are horrible, I suppose it depends on if they are new, a recap or have been grooved. I will be putting some equal tire balancer, which should solve any vibration problems. I know they are speed rated at 65mph, though that is at full load which is nowhere near the weight my cummins will put on them(5766lbs at 50psi)and have heard of people running them at 80 and higher all day long with no issues.
My biggest concern is the highway manners and ice manners, 90% of my driving is highway including winter driving, i'm hoping the siping will combat the horrible ice manners. As far as offroad, I dont get hairy with this girl so I dont need a crazy mudder tire or rock tire, just something that will get me home after a good camping trip or mild wheeling trip.

Any advice through experience would be greatly appreciated![cheers]

buck
02-22-2010, 10:03 PM
yikes dont do it man i hated mine they are heavy ass tires horrible to balance and will suck ass in the winter, but thats just my experiences with them

4skin
02-22-2010, 10:25 PM
yikes dont do it man i hated mine they are heavy ass tires horrible to balance and will suck ass in the winter, but thats just my experiences with them
sipeing might help balance my 900 16s were horrible
between 10 to 25 ounce and would start shacking after 3 to4 weeks:dontknow: :dontknow:

Mopowa
02-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Hey Buck, yeah I have heard they are horrible in winter and wet roads. It makes sence, the tread blocks on them are massive, but I wasn't planning on running them stock. I was thinking about halving each block horizontally than a whole lot of sipes, should take some weight off, keep the temperature down on the highway, and let the tread blocks expel water better. If it comes right down to it I wont run them on the highway and just use them for a playing tire, I just cant pass up 350 for 38 inch tires with rims. As for balancing, did you just use normal wheel weights? I have heard that balancing beads are the only way to go with these tires.

Cheers

buck
02-22-2010, 10:43 PM
pm sent [cheers]

jonny6door
02-22-2010, 10:45 PM
they would be good for the highway, but are made with really hard rubber so they never wear out, so have really bad grip on everything but asphalt. they would suck offroad because of the heavy sidewall and casing so the tire doesnt flex, and like i said, super hard rubber = no traction. siping wont do much in my opinion, only let them run a bit cooler.

Mopowa
02-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the great advice guys. You have convinced me out of it, I will save myself the headaches and spend the money on a better suited tire

Any of you know of a good 37x12.50 tire for a 16 inch rim? Like I had said before 90% of my driving is highway with mild offroad abuse. Parnilli and Interco have good selections for larger tires on 16 inch rims, but they are all pretty aggressive for my needs, and pricey! I like my bfgoodrich a/t's that are on my truck now but they only make a 37x12.50 on a 17 inch rim.

jonny6door
02-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the great advice guys. You have convinced me out of it, I will save myself the headaches and spend the money on a better suited tire

Any of you know of a good 37x12.50 tire for a 16 inch rim? Like I had said before 90% of my driving is highway with mild offroad abuse. Parnilli and Interco have good selections for larger tires on 16 inch rims, but they are all pretty aggressive for my needs, and pricey! I like my bfgoodrich a/t's that are on my truck now but they only make a 37x12.50 on a 17 inch rim.

Goodyear MT-R is a good street tire but has a somewhat agressive tread pattern and would be a good choice for doing 90% street and 10% off road. check them out. they come in sized up to 40" but are quite a bit more expencive than an interco or bf goodrich. also look into pro comps. fountain tire regularly has buy 3 get 1 free on procomps. they are a cheeper alternative to goodyear, and preform very well off and on road.

http://www.procomptires.com/truck-jeep-tires/pro-comp-tires.aspx

Squishy
02-23-2010, 11:21 AM
i ran a set of 9.00 xl's(the 36's) on my 91 dodge 3500. highway they were awesome, just a little bit loud. the truck handled fine on the road, even wet road, because of the weight of the truck, but i did notice a considerable power loss off the line because of the weight difference over 33's, cruising at speeds was fine, no wobble or any vibrations, and airing down made for a more comfortable ride off road. the only readon i swapped back to a smaller tire is i was not hitting overdrive on the auto because of the stock gearing and i wasnt about to re gear the diffs.

no experience with them on ice but i really liked the tires on a driver, tough, narrow enough the road doesnt catch the tires and drag you in the semi ruts, and they last forever if you dont do burnouts on rocks with them, ask how they wheel on a light truck and i wouldnt reccomend them though

m j
02-24-2010, 04:54 AM
mine balanced fine
great highway tire

Mopowa
02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Hmmm well no I have no idea what to do. One person says they are horrible and that he had a bunch of headaches trying to balance them and two said they were great on the highway, and balanced fine....
Well I think I will buy them and do a bunch of cutting to them.....if anything i'll just use them for offroad, im sure with the amount of rubber im going to be taking off I can get them a little lighter as well.
Thanks everyone

Squishy
02-24-2010, 08:10 PM
i wouldnt cut them up, just run them and see how you like them, they are a good tire for a fullisze camping/dd truck just not a hardcore wheeling tire to be used on a trail truck. first hand experience, ive owned a set of them since like 2004, pretty tough tire. done longer trips(6+hours driving into the cariboo and back and no complaints)

4skin
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
:dontknow: hey for the coin you said you can get them
there probably worth that as caseings
try them out not a huge loss if you dont like them
my f250 was 5780 lbs with a spool might have something
to do with tire wear forgot about the spool:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: [36]
or the 460:confused0006: :D [32]

Mopowa
02-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Well, im going to stop in friday after work and check them out, before I head home to bring my truck to the painter.....:D:D:D:D!

The first picture is my truck as it stood when i bought it.....
The second picture is not my truck but the EXACT paint sheme that it will be painted.

I will be trimming the fenders 2 inches all the way around, than a three inch suspension lift, should clear 38's..:)... i'll trim to fit before I lift a 4x4 too high. I'm thinking some 1.5 spacers as well to push them out a bit more for some flares.

If the Tires are crap i'll just sell them or keep them for wheeling and Reaaaallly grove the hell out of them....aired down should make for a pretty narly bullet proof tire!
[36]

Lucas
03-02-2010, 11:53 PM
you are going to ruin a beautiful truck...........

i have michelin zxl's..............run them on my wheeler and on the hiway

awsome tire . didnt even balance them

the michelin XL...the old pattern sucks

Mopowa
03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
To each their own I suppose. I've never been one to keep things stock, as beautiful as it may be, it doesn't suit my tastes............

Well I bought the tires, fingers crossed for good highway manners, but I wont be let down if they suck, I only paid 350 for 4 tires on rims with good tread left.