PDA

View Full Version : 1975 1 ton driveshaft problem

godtool
02-14-2010, 09:12 AM
My neighbors kid has a 75 1 ton 4x4 extended cab flat deck. One piece rear driveshaft. He busted it in half[36] and I said I would fix it for free since he helps me out sometimes. He got another driveshaft for it but the u-joint caps are too small and I noticed there were no dogs on either side of the yokes to keep the u-joint centered. So I'm hoping to buy the right u-joints. I have the busted rear driveshaft but all the caps are missing. The "right" u-joints... do they use inner c-clips to keep them centered in the yokes? I was hoping to buy some u-joints that would be correct for this other d.s. or weld the old one together but I'd still need u-joints for it. I have lots of old u-joints kicking around. The kid was thinking of welding some pieces of flat bar to either side of the yokes to keep the u-joints centered:D . Can anyone tell me the diameter of caps to use, or a catalog lordco #, etc, etc. Figured I should do some research before I walk into the stores in town.

nebowe
02-14-2010, 09:16 AM
My neighbors kid has a 75 1 ton 4x4 extended cab flat deck. One piece rear driveshaft. He busted it in half[36] and I said I would fix it for free since he helps me out sometimes. He got another driveshaft for it but the u-joint caps are too small and I noticed there were no dogs on either side of the yokes to keep the u-joint centered. So I'm hoping to buy the right u-joints. I have the busted rear driveshaft but all the caps are missing. The "right" u-joints... do they use inner c-clips to keep them centered in the yokes? I was hoping to buy some u-joints that would be correct for this other d.s. or weld the old one together but I'd still need u-joints for it. I have lots of old u-joints kicking around. The kid was thinking of welding some pieces of flat bar to either side of the yokes to keep the u-joints centered:D . Can anyone tell me the diameter of caps to use, or a catalog lordco #, etc, etc. Figured I should do some research before I walk into the stores in town.

Nah...go to Lordco and tell'em that application...they have a book that will give the right U-joint and the style of connection.

godtool
02-14-2010, 09:31 AM
thanks!

Back_Country83
02-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Do yourself a huge favor and buy a genuine dana part for the ujoint at the I rear pinion. I just did my 76 and this one was different than the rest, even though the lordco book listed it the same as the others.

godtool
02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Turned out the kid had the old caps.... I wish he told me that a month ago! Anyways the u-joint in the old rear ds, one near the diff, was in A1 cond. so I pressed out the ujoint and put it in the rear end of the good ds. So we bolted it in last night. Unfortunately the replacement ds is a tad shorter so the slip joint is extended I'd say a bit too much. He does not care so if it strips or breaks or comes apart he will be calling me. I enjoy helping him since my son is more interested in xbox and computers (girls too uckily)[36]