PDA

View Full Version : bought a new truck have a question* ENGINE CODES*

buck
02-08-2010, 10:01 PM
soooooooo i broke down and bought myself another toyota, got it for a smokin deal but its got a bit of an issue, its a 90 4runner with the 22re, it runs tip top drives great everything works, but the only issue is that when its warm it wont idle, it just dies, but when your moving it runs excellent, any ideas on what is goin on? thanks [cheers]

Cheeky
02-09-2010, 12:00 AM
worst thing bout a ifs toy 4-banger---no power no traction,sold the thing totally disgusted,slow and stuck multiple time:mad0217:

Sorry,forgot to add,shitty shitty shitty gas miles as well,me stick with the gay zukis for the bush......

but I could sleep in the runner,but what good is sleep.........really.kills the buzz[36] [36] [36] :D

Cheeky
02-09-2010, 12:02 AM
oh just incase im not clear,that runner is stupid stuck, cant really recall but,I think a quad pulled me out:D

rockershocker88
02-09-2010, 12:13 AM
pick threw this http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775780 should be something about it in there. check for vac line leaks.

Moondog
02-09-2010, 06:51 AM
it's a toyota don't you watch the news [f]

Toyquad
02-09-2010, 08:06 AM
shitty gas mileage? i get 450km to 50litres in my 90 4runner with 22re and 500,000km.

lots of things can cause stalling. I would start by checking/replacing all the tune up items (plugs, wires, cap rotor air and fuel filters) Then go over all the vaccum lines and check intake manifold gasket. check fuel pressure regulator. clean and ajust throttle body and tps.

that should get ya started

vajayjay
02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Should have bought an XJ:D

Just sayin

buck
02-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Should have bought an XJ:D

Just sayin

hey i would have but for what i paid for the runner theres no way i would have found a jeep in rolling condition, as far as the "shitty wheeling" cause of the 4 banger well i dont really see that ive had a few toyotas with the 4cyls and have had no issue, im not really into mud bogging, but maybe thats just me, and ya ill have to do some diggin as far as vacum lines go it came with about 6 grand in receipts done in the last 100k, like the head, head gasket, fuel pump, cv axel, plugs, cap and rotor ect so it was well taken care of, it doesnt leak a drop, doesnt smoke and the gas milage really wasnt bad at all it took just about a quarter of a tank from just outside kelowna to kamloops, thanks for the ideas guys [cheers]

crazylike
02-09-2010, 09:59 AM
this happened to a buddy when we went wheelin through a deep creek we removed the air intake to ensure it was dry (it was) and didn't reinstall the lower tube/ intake (its a Y from the air cleaner filter, to another side box, lower and smaller)
this tube had an inverted V in it, so air was rushing past, and i think the engine believes you are decelerating/ and shuts off the fuel. and this was causing the truck to die when letting off the gas.

check your air intake tubes (the big plastic ones)

Jayota
02-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I'll ask the obvious. Did you check the idle adjuster screw?

buck
02-09-2010, 01:45 PM
I'll ask the obvious. Did you check the idle adjuster screw?

just starting to tear into it and ya thatll be the first thing i check, thanks [cheers]

yoda thrills
02-09-2010, 07:13 PM
fuel filter....

buck
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
fuel filter....

was just changed [cheers]

yoda thrills
02-09-2010, 07:40 PM
werd brah didnt see anything mentioning it, id have to agree with jayota idler screw maybe

buck
02-09-2010, 07:45 PM
ya i messed around with the idle screw and it hasnt stalled yet, when warm the idle sits around 800rpm so thats pretty good but its still running kinda rough, went through all the vacumm lines and there are no leaks that i can find, my next thought is the o2 sensor

yoda thrills
02-09-2010, 07:51 PM
yea, that would be a place to look as well, im a carb guy, soon to be fuel injected keep pickin threw u'll find it soon

DURANGO
02-10-2010, 06:43 AM
im thinkin it either the muffler bearing.....or your halogen fluid is a tad low............................................... ..

buck
02-10-2010, 08:17 AM
im thinkin it either the muffler bearing.....or your halogen fluid is a tad low............................................... ..

personally i think my flux capacitor isnt working right but ill be sure to check the halogen fluid too :D

buck
02-10-2010, 12:13 PM
ok so i went and bought a code reader and it put out 2 codes, first being and i quote, description: engine speed (rpm) sensor circut/ possible causes: distributor or circut, ignitor or circut, starter or circut, ecu, nothin like singling out the problem hey [16] and the second code is as follow, description: closed throttle position switch off during retreival/ possible causes: throttle positon switch or circut, ecu........ sooooo im narrowing it down to the throttle position sensor, or the ecu, any opinions? [cheers]

crazylike
02-10-2010, 02:13 PM
grab one of each from pick a pull

buck
02-10-2010, 02:21 PM
grab one of each from pick a pull

we dont have a pick an pull here and none of our wreckers have any parts [16] maybe ill have to go for a drive

Momma Taz
02-11-2010, 12:03 PM
ON my hubby's toy, it is the ignator that is gone and needs a new one.

Jayota
02-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Just so you know, you didnt need the code reader to pull the codes from the truck :)

all you need is a paper clip and a pen and paper!

Try adjusting your TPS sensor.

www.4crawler.com (http://www.4crawler.com) has a great instructional on his cheap tricks page.

need a set of thickness gauges and like 3 hands :D

buck
02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Just so you know, you didnt need the code reader to pull the codes from the truck :)

all you need is a paper clip and a pen and paper!

Try adjusting your TPS sensor.

www.4crawler.com (http://www.4crawler.com) has a great instructional on his cheap tricks page.

need a set of thickness gauges and like 3 hands :D

ya the reader only cost me 15 bucks so no paper clips needed haah, thanks for the link [cheers]

ktowner351
02-16-2010, 12:03 PM
try hookin it up to the computer

ktowner351
02-16-2010, 12:03 PM
if any of then sensors are done it should come up there

Toyquad
02-17-2010, 07:57 PM
buy a manual or research on line and test tps before replacing. its not often the ecu fails.

clean the throttle body and air bypass. with the idle screw you should be able to stall it by turning it (***I think***) in all the way

buck
02-17-2010, 09:18 PM
buy a manual or research on line and test tps before replacing. its not often the ecu fails.

clean the throttle body and air bypass. with the idle screw you should be able to stall it by turning it (***I think***) in all the way

thanks for the info [cheers] i replaced the ignitor today and that erased that code but its still not quite right and is still throwing the tps code, ive got a buddy that works primarily on toyotas here in town and hes gonna set up the tps and cables ect all in sync for me he figures that will cure the issue, we'll see i guess :dontknow: