PDA

View Full Version : 2 problems

FU Toolbag
02-06-2010, 05:09 PM
So the wifes complaing that her 97 jeep tj's breaking like crap. Sometimes the front just locks up. Sometime it pulls hard right or left, whatever it wants to. I checked out the front brakes. sliders are fine. Calipers are good. pads are about 80% and the rotors are thick and straight. Fluid in the master is not the newest, but pretty good. Tried to check the rear's, which brings me to the second problem. Those drums aren't budging. They spinn freely and stop appropatly when steping on the pedal, but there isn't even a hint of budging. Bin using a 5lb hammer and am thinking I'm gonna bust the drum if I hit it any harder. Am I missing something? If theye were being held back by the pad's I could understand, but there would be a little movement, then resistance. This is just being a paion in the ass.

Nutbar
02-06-2010, 05:14 PM
I've had those drums sieze onto the axle hub so bad that I've had to heat the drum around the hub with a torch to get them to break free.

Also as per usuall check the link bushings, bolts, TREs, and trac bars. Those things are pretty short so it doesn't take much play for them to feel like they're all over the place.

Explorer guy418
02-06-2010, 05:23 PM
i had same prob not on a jeep but i just used a shit load of wd40 :D

FU Toolbag
02-06-2010, 05:58 PM
I've had those drums sieze onto the axle hub so bad that I've had to heat the drum around the hub with a torch to get them to break free.

Also as per usuall check the link bushings, bolts, TREs, and trac bars. Those things are pretty short so it doesn't take much play for them to feel like they're all over the place.

Checked the links ect, even the unit bearings, everything is tight. Torch is the next step I was thinking, just haven't done a stock jeep before. I was hoping I missed something. I never liked the idea of torching on drums. I've done it when needed, still don't like it though.