PDA

View Full Version : double cardon

epic3
02-03-2010, 06:55 PM
On a double cardon (ujoint) drive shaft is it possible to use the DC at the diff end or does it need to be at the tcase end? And why?

Tunabomber
02-03-2010, 07:20 PM
i will awnser with a question

what makes you think it would be better for you to do it that way

Always broke
02-03-2010, 07:26 PM
It would wear out really quick because of the whip action from drive to driven side

Happypants
02-03-2010, 10:15 PM
The DC is to help with your pinion angle from the diff to the t-case, for one if you put it in backwards the slip will not operate properly, 2 the cardigan will not last at all, 3 chances of being able to install it backwards are unlikely, could try it but I'm sure it won't work

stevem
02-03-2010, 11:09 PM
older cadillacs came with dual double cardins,why not try it seen it on a few trucks.

bigyellowbronco
02-03-2010, 11:42 PM
ya! wouldnt it be fine if you put it on both ends?

Apathy
02-04-2010, 04:31 AM
yes, they make a duel ended double cardan,.
such as

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

Lynx
02-04-2010, 06:09 AM
double cardon has to go at the end with the angle.

If you wanna put it in at the diff, your tcase would have to point directly at the diff, and you diff angle could be whatever you want...That would be dumb.

epic3
02-04-2010, 08:33 AM
The reason I'm asking is I have one out of a bronco I believe it will fit my scout. When the pass side of my diff drops away on my scout during flex my pinion angle is to steep causing minor binding. To correct this to date I've run real short shackles that limit flex and give me a harsher ride as well as a 4 degree shim and I've clearanced my pinion yoke.
Now I am planning on coiling the front of it so this is just a temporary fix if you can call it that.

B
02-04-2010, 09:44 AM
The DC is to help with your pinion angle from the diff to the t-case, for one if you put it in backwards the slip will not operate properly, 2 the cardigan will not last at all, 3 chances of being able to install it backwards are unlikely, could try it but I'm sure it won't work

your right nick sweater's usally don't last long in a driveline application .. [22]

:D

'Balmer
02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
I wanna see Nick in a nice plaid cardigan with big shiny buttons!

Anyway... I've read that the max working angle for a double cardan d-shaft is 30 degrees. Is this the angle at the double cardan itself or the combined angle of both the double cardan and the standard u-joint at the other end of the d-shaft (overall d-shaft angle)? Would you get 6o degrees with two nice cardigans?

'Balmer
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Any opinions on the "super flex" joints as an alternative to a D/C? The web page give a lot of info, but I wonder if any FIBC'ers have had any actual experience with them?

Apathy
02-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Any opinions on the "super flex" joints as an alternative to a D/C? The web page give a lot of info, but I wonder if any FIBC'ers have had any actual experience with them?

I have a superflex joint.. but yet to be tested..
Had to use it with the new front drive line setup.

'Balmer
02-04-2010, 04:08 PM
New front drive line set up? What have you changed?

Apathy
02-04-2010, 05:37 PM
the only reason the nissan T-case works without binding is because of the nissan u-joint at the t-case. it flexes more than a normal 1310 and alot more than a 1330.
I could have gottan away with a normal 1310 wheni did my doubler, but for insurance i got the flex joint, to make sure i don't have any issues. its because of hte downward pointing angle of the nissan drive train... makes the front output face up a little.

Happypants
02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
your right nick sweater's usally don't last long in a driveline application .. [22]

:D

Yea not so well, :D