PDA

View Full Version : Swapping to manual hubs

mgizen92runner
01-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Hey just wondering i'm thinking about swapping out my factory ifs auto hubs, for manual locking hubs. my ifs front end is a ADD diff , i have done some reading and some guy was saying you have to permantly lock out your ADD diff to have manual. correct me if i;m wrong but i believe you can just leave the to act normally. i can't see why you would have to lock out the fork on the diff. i just wanna put manual hubs on to save wear on my cv joints.

ToYz
01-28-2010, 03:21 PM
if you want to keep it simple go find some aisin manual hubs (27spline) pull your old crap off buy new cover gaskets/hub gaskets and if you need to dial orings/bolts.. You simply unbolt the ADD hub and bolt on the new hub.. easy

the lockout shit i think warn was the only one to make anything for that, people say it eliminates unnecessary wear on CV joints.. less drag/better full milage.. but im on the fence..

DONT USE WARN junk crap fail

Jayota
01-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Don't bother locking the ADD system. There is absolutly no need unless you swap diffs to a non ADD one or something.

I just swapped over to aisins and left my ADD system 100% intact. Best of both worlds!

arjan
01-29-2010, 12:25 AM
I am with Jayota. That's what I did when I had my '91.

The trickiest part is to remove the six cone washers to pull the flange off.
Leave the nuts on the end of the studs, and tap the flange with 2 hammers on opposing sides at the same time. They'll shoot out, then nuts will stop them from flying all over the place.

I found leaving the hubs unlocked was nice to backup a trailer into tricky places in 4 low, which was really 2 low,

86exra-cab
01-29-2010, 03:59 PM
brass drift works well for removeing cone washers couple good whacks on the stud and your good to go

toyotawheeler
01-29-2010, 05:19 PM
add is shit put some manual hubs on it or drive it till you blow the front end when the acuator stops working and blows your front end and do a solid axle swap

Jayota
01-30-2010, 07:15 PM
I am with Jayota. That's what I did when I had my '91.

The trickiest part is to remove the six cone washers to pull the flange off.
Leave the nuts on the end of the studs, and tap the flange with 2 hammers on opposing sides at the same time. They'll shoot out, then nuts will stop them from flying all over the place.

I found leaving the hubs unlocked was nice to backup a trailer into tricky places in 4 low, which was really 2 low,

The ability to use 2wd low range is perfect!

I use it all the time to parellel park up hills, just put in in low range and let it idle :)

also great for slow traffic, pop it in low range and let it idle like a big rig..

dirka dave
01-30-2010, 07:18 PM
:( I wish it was that simple to do on my 1997 Luxo.

[27] [27]

Jayota
02-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Hehehe! :D Don't you have to change out the spindles or something?