PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Auto

kootenaycat
01-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Ok, wondering if anyone else has a Cummins with the 4 speed auto, particularly the '06ish with the O/D AND Tow/haul modes. My '06 when not in tow mode feels like a sprag clutch is not holding, really hard on brakes cause as soon as I let off the throttle the revs drop right off to idle no matter what speed I'm doing. Only exception is at highway speeds with torque locked up it'll maintain whatever RPM it's doing. When in tow mode it maintains rpm but I feel it's just keeping the torque locked, not really getting the engine braking (not that diesels have lots) that it could get.

So wondering if they are all supposed to do that or is my trans hooped? It's been like this since I bought it 3 months ago, still under warranty but will be without a vehicle for a while I'm thinking.

Thanks!

tchevy
01-25-2010, 10:02 PM
was it like that when u got it? my friends has always been like that. tow haul locks the converter forsure. maybe just be normal?

DWB80
01-26-2010, 10:20 AM
I have one with a brand new tranny in it, it has always done that, I always drive in tow/haul. coming to a stop I just blurp the throttle and it will rev up to 2000rpm, slows down way faster.

crazylike
01-26-2010, 10:37 AM
my dads has always been like that also. i think its just the way they are made..

jesslee
01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
my 2000 was like that, then i baked the tranny and it wasnt like that anymore? haha

Crack
01-26-2010, 07:54 PM
You should buy a 2006 with a standard and over 500hp instead... like mine... which is for sale. lol

kootenaycat
01-27-2010, 09:20 PM
You should buy a 2006 with a standard and over 500hp instead... like mine... which is for sale. lol

And where were you 3 months ago when I bought mine? :D What are you asking BTW? Got any pics? A buddy is looking for a Cummins.

And thanks for the responses, put this same thread on the Cummins site and came to the same conclusion. Apparently that's the way Dodge Engineers designed it. Fuck are they ever stupid. And if I wasn't so damn impatient I would have a 6 speed now instead of this shitty auto trans.

I always put it in tow/haul in traffic and downhills, just doesn't feel right when it's not in T/H. Guess they did it for fuel economy, engineers are a different breed. They make it get great fuel economy so you can spend the money you save on brakes. :rolleyes:

Crack
01-28-2010, 03:17 PM
lol I wasn't ready to buy a house 3 months ago.

But here's the add on craigslist....

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/1557604425.html

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Easy124/IMG_0091.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Easy124/IMG_0089.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Easy124/IMG_0092.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/Easy124/IMG_7143.jpg

4linkfota
01-28-2010, 08:47 PM
mine did the same but i got a TORQ-LOCK from BD and it locks the torque at any time just not in first.

Trooper
01-29-2010, 01:01 AM
I dont think they did it for fuel economy. Every diesel Ive owned shuts the fuel off when your engine braking. You dont burn any diesel down hill
Are the new diesels different?

Crack
01-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Apparently the new 6 speed auto's are really nice to drive. But.... because of all the emissions crap on them you're only getting like 14 mpg. Which is really shitty considering I have 37's on mine and I'm getting 22-24 mpg. I had an 02 with 35's before this one and that was also getting about the same.

vajayjay
01-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Six speed with oush button manual is nice ecspecally combined with engine brake but yeah milage kinda sucks but I'm doing my part saving the enviroment by filling up almost twice as much as the older trucks:dontknow:

Explain that

kootenaycat
01-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Six speed with oush button manual is nice ecspecally combined with engine brake but yeah milage kinda sucks but I'm doing my part saving the enviroment by filling up almost twice as much as the older trucks:dontknow:

Explain that

Yah, backwards thinking there for sure! I drove the 6 speed auto before buying mine but at that time they were out of my price range. And I didn't want the 6.7L when the 5.9 has worked so well.

mine did the same but i got a TORQ-LOCK from BD and it locks the torque at any time just not in first.

That is my plan for the near future, take it to BD and have them install the brake and trans controller and do the set up (programming) that it'll need.

Crack, that's a sweet looking truck and a good price for what you've had done and what comes with it. Too bad it wasn't out there when I bought mine. Anyone want to buy a '06 auto with 49,000km on it? :D

jesslee
01-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Apparently the new 6 speed auto's are really nice to drive. But.... because of all the emissions crap on them you're only getting like 14 mpg. Which is really shitty considering I have 37's on mine and I'm getting 22-24 mpg. I had an 02 with 35's before this one and that was also getting about the same.

yeah but those new trucks, you do the dpf/egr/cooler delete and you are bangin [cheers] mine are on the way :D

Crack
01-29-2010, 07:55 PM
yeah but those new trucks, you do the dpf/egr/cooler delete and you are bangin [cheers] mine are on the way :D

It will make a big difference for them... but you still won't be getting as good as the old ones.