PDA

View Full Version : Electric fans

crazydude
01-23-2010, 09:57 AM
So Im going to do electric fans on my truck to replace the mechanical one. Do you really need a thermostat to turn the fans on and off or should I just hook them up to a relay to run when the truck runs kinda like the mechanical one does now?

cheers

Asshat
01-23-2010, 11:25 AM
you can use a relay and a toggle switch but i think u migh see better engine performance if u use the t stat that comes with the fan maybe u can buy one with a different temp setting that will suit ur needs better!
good luck
R

m j
01-23-2010, 11:25 AM
what are you trying to gain by using electrics?
if they run continuous then you are still loading the motor only you are doing it less efficient then the mechanical
you are converting mechanical into electric then back into mechanical

stevem
01-23-2010, 11:26 AM
the t-stat is not too hard to hook up and thats the way i would do it,but you wont hurt anything by hooking it up to ignition power and have it run all the time

85chevy
01-23-2010, 11:47 AM
U can hook it up so that when ur wheeling u can flick the switch to turn it on constantly then when ur not wheeling it goes by the thermostat sensor to save fuel and u probably want to run them through a relay regardless to keep the strain off ur wiring we all kno how well some of peoples 4x4s are wired

crazydude
01-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Ya I think Ill put the switch on it to with the tstat . I just want to get rid of the mech fan and other things to start getting some hp back

Happypants
01-23-2010, 07:21 PM
I got dual e-fans in my jeep, when I did them I noticed a rather big power gain, I run em all the time, they work great, draw a little bit of power and more hp back from the mech fan,

zookiguy
01-23-2010, 11:58 PM
U can hook it up so that when ur wheeling u can flick the switch to turn it on constantly then when ur not wheeling it goes by the thermostat sensor to save fuel and u probably want to run them through a relay regardless to keep the strain off ur wiring we all kno how well some of peoples 4x4s are wired

I just did this last night. simple install

Mud Slinging Dumb Fawker
01-24-2010, 12:16 AM
the best mod ive done to the engine is the duel fans major hp gain i just have it on a relay and toggle

ri0
01-24-2010, 09:57 AM
I would put a switch to turn them off for when entering deep water....and run the temp sensing relay for sure...I find when wheeling my fans hardly turn on..but if I am ripping down the fsr's then they turn on all the time...mind I do I have mine mounted in the back of the truck