PDA

View Full Version : toyota elocker install

Apathy
01-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Stolen, but some good pics on how to install an elocker in a toyota front end.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/toyota%20e%20locker/Jp20024.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/toyota%20e%20locker/Jp20025.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/toyota%20e%20locker/Jp20026.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/toyota%20e%20locker/Jp20027.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/toyota%20e%20locker/Jp20028.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/toyota%20e%20locker/Jp20036.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f138/87pathy/toyota%20e%20locker/Jp20035.jpg

Rev1
01-22-2010, 05:48 PM
any idea if this can be done to a 77 fj 40, thats what i have on the front of my 4runner

FZJ80
01-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Yes there are E lockers to fit your rig.
The locker install Pathy posted is a Hi pinion unit with a 8" ring gear out of a 80 series LandCruiser front diff.
You will need a 9.5" ring gear unit, they can be found in the rear of the 80 series, or the front and rear of other LandCruisers.
Vince

dirka dave
01-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Good post Jer.

I am glad I went with the ARB in the 82. Less clutter.

I would like to put a Hy pinion in the 82.

Apathy
01-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Good post Jer.

I am glad I went with the ARB in the 82. Less clutter.

I would like to put a Hy pinion in the 82.

bakelite said he was having a few issues.. a guy i know just did this, so i thought it would be good tech.

dirka dave
01-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Joe is putting an E locker in his Toy ?

dirka dave
01-22-2010, 07:47 PM
I like the skid plate.

Apathy
01-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Joe is putting an E locker in his Toy ?

yes.

d0ubledown
01-22-2010, 10:07 PM
very nice [36]

i gotta get me one of those inchworm skids...those are bling. too bad none available for the 9.5" elocker :(

bakelite
01-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks Jeremy, much appreciated! [36] [cheers]

bakelite
01-23-2010, 01:45 PM
So...I welded it, ground out the area for the locker, put it in, bolts don't line up, took it out, removed all the studs, put it in, nope, out, painted inside, put it in, jiggled it, out, ground where it was touching that I could see, put it in, nope out in out in with no happy ending. It seems like it needs to turn clockwise about half a stud but something is stopping it and I can't see what. Even if it goes in right it looks like the right side is going to hit my springs, which is another new problem [16] . Bushings gone, not so bad. I'm burned out and frustrated. Any ideas other than drag it to the rust heap? I know these fit with a normal old 4 cyl front end, it sure looks like I have to install all new studs but how to do that and be sure the axles are lined up? Can't be right, it has to fit. :dontknow: I'm in oh fuck panic mode now lol.

The red arrows show where the U Bolts go, I don't have that much room.

The yellow arrows show the inner flange?...I painted inside the pumpkin and installed the third and could see a couple places where it was hitting and ground them but no difference. Hopefully later I will see what I am missing and get it right.

dirka dave
01-23-2010, 01:58 PM
ARB joe, ARB.

bakelite
01-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Buy me one Dave :D ....all set up third with 529's and if you could, paint it nice too. [cheers]

FZJ80
01-23-2010, 03:34 PM
what housing do you have?

FZJ80
01-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Dug up these pics for ya the red is required grinding the yellow new stud locations.
Note grinding inside as well.
I would start buy getting the E locker gasket Toyota pn 42181-60050
Vince

flipper
01-23-2010, 08:17 PM
I like it! Check your cut outs on the side your twisting it to for binding. Any one know if elocker or arb unlocks easier than the other? How many people have airline problems compared to damaged motors or wires?

barracuda
01-23-2010, 08:20 PM
ARB joe, ARB.

thats for cookie cutter people that like plastic bit and stuff that doesnt work when you need it . :party0010: :party0010: :party0010: :party0010:

bakelite
01-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks Vince, I made a gasket to get the set up for the new third. The housing is just a Toyota truck I guess 8"? Gonna try some more grinding tomorrow and hope it goes in, thanks for the pictures. [cheers]

dirka dave
01-24-2010, 12:47 AM
thats for cookie cutter people that like plastic bit and stuff that doesnt work when you need it . :party0010: :party0010: :party0010: :party0010:

My ARB has never let me down.

bakelite
01-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Okay another couple hours and this is what I came up with.

Pumpkin welded up, notched, ground, front pushed out to clear bearing bolts.

I took off the electrics to operate the locker thinking it might be hitting the flange inside....nope.

I think this is my problem, the bolt with the yellow arrow hitting my springs, I tried it with the bolt out, still hits the springs. The red arrow just shows that the third has to be rotated quite a bit to line up the holes with the studs.

I don't know where to go from here, I thought about grinding that bolted piece down and using a flathead tapered head bolt but I don't know if that would be enough and I don't want to ruin any parts yet. I loosened my U bolts and beat the springs over before taking these pictures so they will move back anyway.

I should eat more, my skinny ass is so sore from sitting on the cement putting this thing in and out about a million times. [15]

Apathy
01-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Joe,
I was looking at these pictures, and one thing i see very different from what you have, to what you should have, is clearance at about the 10PM possition looking at the back of the housing.
this is on the inner flange, and would definatley stop you from rotating the half inch counterclockwise position that you are needing.

don't know.. just throwing my 2 cents buddy

bakelite
01-25-2010, 02:57 PM
I ground everything a bit more, I put grease on the inner flange, the cut out for the locker, put the third in and jiggled it back and forth, took it out and the grease is undisturbed. :dontknow: It has to go clockwise and even with the bolt out, it still has too far too go then once the springs settle back toward the pumpkin which I am pretty sure they will, it will be worse.

I am going to try taking that piece that's bolted on right off and see how it goes and maybe figure something out from there. Right now I am too frustrated and sore right now and need some sleep. Thanks for the help Jeremy, I know it's driving you crazy as it is me too. I can't find anything on the internet that says they did this in the front of a truck, which makes it more of a challenge ;) . I am not giving up yet lol. [cheers]

bakelite
01-25-2010, 03:27 PM
okay....took some pictures

truck

FJ40

:dontknow:

dirka dave
01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Clsose...

FZJ80
01-25-2010, 06:41 PM
So am i understanding you right , that even with the top bolt ( yellow arrow ) out you still can't rotate enough to bolt in?
Is it also hitting the Ubolt?
An off the wall question, do you run wheel spacers?

d0ubledown
01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
retrofitting a HP elocker in a mini front can be done. clearance is a bitch...as youve now found. some have used countersunk bolts on the actuator cover (the one thats hitting the spring) and others have moved the spring perch itself or clearanced with a grinder. are you sure which direction it has to rotate for it to line up? im guessing clockwise (facing open end of the housing) since counter didnt get you anywhere.

some links that can hopefully help ya out:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/3621636-post2.html

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/carl_whitmore_email.htm

bakelite
01-26-2010, 08:30 AM
So am i understanding you right , that even with the top bolt ( yellow arrow ) out you still can't rotate enough to bolt in?
Is it also hitting the Ubolt?
An off the wall question, do you run wheel spacers?

Yes, bolt out still can't move it counterclockwise enough to line up with the stud holes. Not hitting the U bolt. Yes on the wheel spacers. :confused:

bakelite
01-26-2010, 08:32 AM
retrofitting a HP elocker in a mini front can be done. clearance is a bitch...as youve now found. some have used countersunk bolts on the actuator cover (the one thats hitting the spring) and others have moved the spring perch itself or clearanced with a grinder. are you sure which direction it has to rotate for it to line up? im guessing clockwise (facing open end of the housing) since counter didnt get you anywhere.

some links that can hopefully help ya out:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/3621636-post2.html

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/carl_whitmore_email.htm

Thanks for the links. I thought about the countersunk bolts but I would have to grind the actuator cover down still, I tried it with no bolt and it still hits the springs. Yes on the direction, it needs to go clockwise.

bakelite
01-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Well, with the side actuator out completely, now the pass side of the third hits the U Bolts. I gotta walk away from this for a while. Thanks for all the help and advice. [cheers]

FZJ80
01-27-2010, 04:02 PM
I'll swap you an open Hi pinion for it.

C-Dog
01-27-2010, 04:11 PM
I'll swap you an open Hi pinion for it.

Can u get up there and install it for him to please i want to go for a ride in it on the spudspudspudspudspud run

Hope you get it all figured out Joe / God :D

FZJ80
01-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Well if he doesn't get it in soon he will have to change out all the housing studs.
They'll be worn out from that third going in & out so much.

dirka dave
01-28-2010, 05:33 AM
Link the front, then you will have a ton of room !

bakelite
01-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Well if he doesn't get it in soon he will have to change out all the housing studs.
They'll be worn out from that third going in & out so much.

I took all the studs out when I began this fiasco. The third won't go in with the studs in place. Thanks for the offer of the high pinion swap.

FZJ80
01-28-2010, 05:09 PM
There is a way to gain the clearance you need to install your E locker and maybe get rid of your spacers but it would be a bit of work.
If you cut and lengthen the short side of your housing 2", you can run a short side 60 series LandCruiser axle which is 2" longer than your mini axle.
you would also have to move the spring perches over 1" to even things out.
Lastly you would have to lengthen your tie rod.
All this would give you a full 1" more clearance between your E locker and springs.
I don't know if you have been thinkin about doing a cut & turn but this would be a easy fix while your there.
Just a thought.
Vince

There is a way you can

RCCruiser
01-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Is it the shift fork for the locker that's hitting the side of the housing? It needs to be in the locked position when installing.

I'm planning on doing this very same thing. I've done some research. I plan to use the factory paper gasket to mark where the mounting flange needs to be squared off for the shifting fork, and for the new bolt holes. I also plan to do a U-bolt eliminator on at least that side. That way everything is as cleared away as you can make it...with leaf springs. ;)

On another note...if it's that difficult to install the 3rd, it'll probably be just as difficult to install the shafts. I suggest not bolting the 3rd in place, until you have the shafts splined in. ;)

RCCruiser
01-28-2010, 06:41 PM
My ARB has never let me down.
What about your last tow truck ride?

dirka dave
01-29-2010, 05:25 AM
What about your last tow truck ride?

That had nothing to do with my arb. [16]

In fact the Luxo was on the hook, not the 82' dumbass.:D

bakelite
01-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Okay some success. Removed the spring, good thing as the center bolt was broken.

No problem, got new ones here somewhere. [36]

This shows the third bolted in and red arrows show where I need to clearance, it's not much looking at it this way. I'll take a bit off the third and a bit of the spring mount.

Another picture showing the same thing from a different angle.

The hole in the spring perch seems pretty large, I was thinking of filling it in and moving the spring outwards may a 1/4 inch or so, that shouldn't affect too much I hope. Should this hole (red arrow) be fairly close to the size of the bolt on the spring pin? It is pretty large right now and probably why the springs were settling to the left side.

Anyway some progress I'm feeling pretty positive about it now. Still have to remove the bolt on the side actuator cover but that's alright, moving the spring outwards a bit will help also. What do you guys think now? I appreciate all and any advice. [cheers]

Thanks and respect to Bryson, shoulda listened closer to you bro. [cheers]

bakelite
01-29-2010, 11:19 AM
Is it the shift fork for the locker that's hitting the side of the housing? It needs to be in the locked position when installing.

I'm planning on doing this very same thing. I've done some research. I plan to use the factory paper gasket to mark where the mounting flange needs to be squared off for the shifting fork, and for the new bolt holes. I also plan to do a U-bolt eliminator on at least that side. That way everything is as cleared away as you can make it...with leaf springs. ;)

On another note...if it's that difficult to install the 3rd, it'll probably be just as difficult to install the shafts. I suggest not bolting the 3rd in place, until you have the shafts splined in. ;)

Nothing is hitting inside the housing. How do you get it unlocked once it is in?

I couldn't get a gasket here so I made one. I am going to use a long drill bit with the third in to mark the two holes I need to drill.

I think this will work alright without the ubolt eliminator, I don't really thing that would give you much more room anyway for the side cover thingie, actuator is not the right word I think but that top bolt.

[cheers]

FZJ80
01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
It is still hard to see how much room you have and how much you need.
Could countersink the bolt holes, change thread to 5/16" install countersunk allen bolts.
I say change the thread because it may be hard to find countersunk metric bolts.
But at least your making progress, thats good.

FZJ80
01-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Did you read post #35, you may want to think about that for later on.
If you get the bitch in and everything back together will you be able to pull the third without pulling the springpack again?

bakelite
01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
It is still hard to see how much room you have and how much you need.
Could countersink the bolt holes, change thread to 5/16" install countersunk allen bolts.
I say change the thread because it may be hard to find countersunk metric bolts.
But at least your making progress, thats good.

It doesn't look too bad for room for the ubolt, a little of the third should do it, maybe a bit off the perch too. I was thinking of the 5/16, I tried to find metric up here and it's hopeless. I feel pretty good right now, gonna work on it more tonight and got all day tomorrow.

I like the idea you have for the F60 diff, would solve a lot of problems and may be in my future but for now I just want to make this work. I honestly thought for a while about giving up on it but lots of other stuff going thru my head right now. Happy to be where I am lol.

I think it might come out okay once it's clearanced and I move the springs over a bit which shouldn't really affect this rig's "handling" [cheers]

bakelite
01-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Made more progress, got it together without too many issues. Still need to drill and tap a couple holes, stuff like that, clean everything up. Springs are just bolted to the UBolts for now, gotta source some bushings and bolts and other various items. It actually went together pretty easy once I ground the perches and a bit off the third.

I offset my spring outboard a bit, I should make a new plate as the spring sticks out over the edge of the perch a bit. Also welded on a ring gear protector and of course went way overboard. Just adds to the boat anchor value. :D

My new tires, grooved with my 49.95 tire groover :cool:

;)

dirka dave
01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Looking good Joe !! [36]

bakelite
01-31-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks Dave....gonna take today off this part and work on my rear section, need room for the fuel cell, spare, gas cans etc.... and I want to brace up the tubing a bit. Gonna use pipe as it's all I have. :dontknow: But for braces it should be alright. [cheers]

dirka dave
01-31-2010, 10:28 AM
I'll bring the shackles up on the spudspudspudspudspud run for ya, if I remember. :confused0006:

I am getting older and my memory is fading too.[stoned]

bakelite
01-31-2010, 01:20 PM
I'll bring the shackles up on the spudspudspudspudspud run for ya, if I remember. :confused0006:

I am getting older and my memory is fading too.[stoned]

Cool, thanks, need the bolts too. [cheers]

vajayjay
01-31-2010, 05:26 PM

They probably got cut with the plasma:)

dirka dave
01-31-2010, 05:46 PM
Thats extra..:D

FZJ80
01-31-2010, 07:29 PM