PDA

View Full Version : Winch wiring

harvester_sorrow
01-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm going to make a receiver mount for my 8274 and wondering what gauge cable I need to run to it. I would be about 20' to the back of the truck. They run 68amps at no load and 435amps at full load. Truck curb weight is 3500lbs. Doing some research it looks like I need to run 2/0 or bigger. But that seems like a lot of extra weight and money.

Also has anyone ran a winch using booster clamps on the battery? It would be nice to swap it onto other vehicles quickly. I don't know if they could handle the current draw.

rmiller026
01-10-2010, 10:00 PM
weeve used winches with jumpers

epic3
01-11-2010, 01:07 PM
yes run at least 2 gauge. I would run 0 gauge. If you dont you'll have voltage drop issues and burn out the winch

Evan the Blue
01-11-2010, 02:54 PM
If you can find it and being you doing a longer run, I would use ......

1) 200 Degree C. XLPE (cross linked polyetholine insulated) 3/0 AWG (3 ot) Copper ... which is rated for 430 Amps

or

2) 125 Deg. C. XLPE 4/0 Copper ... which is good for 445 Amps

or

3) 85-90 Deg. C. XLPE 250 Kcmils - good for 425 Amps

#3 is the most common, cheapest and your most likely to find at the local electrical wholesaler, but keep in mind the bigger the wire the harder to bend and terminate. Also keep in mind these amperage #'s are based on free air rating so don't go running it in tight spaces for any long runs as it won't dissipate the heat and may overheat the insulation.

Good luck ... I hope that helps ... any more ??? send me a pm [cheers]

kootenaycat
01-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Go the heaviest cable you can get. And can't see any reason you couldn't use the frame for the ground, just put a short piece of heavy cable from the frame to the battery(s).

rmiller026
01-11-2010, 08:56 PM
why not get the warn quick dissconects?

Bsinc.
01-14-2010, 04:29 PM
You can try welding cable, it's relatively cheep and flexible, 2/0 is pretty common. With all the fine strands it holds up to vibration alot better then larger stranded stuff. You can even get lugs that you take a hammer to in order to crimp them instead of needing a tool for it. the jacket on them is abrasion resistant and is pretty resistant to oil. if you really want to spend the coin, you can get "Mine/Machine" cable which is similar to welding cable but has a higher voltage rating (not needed for this) and the copper strands are all tin coated to avoid corrosion. it's really tough but well over $15 per foot on a good day.:mad0217:

harvester_sorrow
01-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the advice. I guess it's better to spend the money now and buy some good cable instead of burning out the winch later on. I'll probably end up going with some 2/0 of some sort.

WestCoastMoose
01-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Take a second battery with you. If you don't have one, a second hand good shape one will be about the same cost as the cable you'll be buying and installing (labour).
I've got a couple of good lengths you can have, grab some good jumper leads and your set to rock.As a bonus you have a back up battery to boost the other guys...lol

Greentoylet
01-31-2010, 09:26 AM
just spend the money on the nice 0 gauge and you wont be dissapointed if you buy some other smaller stuff you might wanna buy a fire extinguisher as 435 amps is alot of draw and creates some nice heat

dirka dave
01-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Welding cable, nice and flexy.

O or 2 guage.

strokenit
01-31-2010, 06:16 PM
get a disconect for the positive running back so its dead when not in use.

harvester_sorrow
02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
get a disconect for the positive running back so its dead when not in use.

That's a good idea.
I'll probably go with the spare battery for now. If I end up using the winch enough I'll upgrade to some beefy cable.