PDA

View Full Version : Trailering your rig

bakelite
01-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Can someone skool me in rig trailering, pics are worth a thousand words. My trailer is one of those old rubber mounted axles things, it's low. Mainly need to know the best way to tie the rig down and legalities. Thanks. [cheers]

Apathy
01-09-2010, 01:37 PM
joe.
I use a ratchet straps, 2 on the front axle pulling down and forward.
2 of the same on the rear axle pulling down and backwards

On my rig cause of the slinky suspension, i also put 2 small straps on the cage and suck it down to the trailer.(just on the front) This takes out the body roll and makes it trailer nicer. (keeps the trailer from swaying so much).

NO NOT tie the rig down from teh body.
becuase every time you hit a bump the suspnsion of the toyota will compress and release on the trailer. when this happens your chains / binders or ratchet straps come loose and can possible come off.

I have towed my rig all up and down the west coast of north america and have never had an issue.

OH, make sure you have alot of pressure in the tires so they don't compress and let the straps come loose as well (low air pressure can act the same as the suspension, bouncing up and down)

If you have any more questions, just ask.

4Lo
01-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Pathy has pretty much summed things up but I would like to add that I prefer the lever load binders designed for using with chains. I prefer chains to straps when it comes to securing a vehicle or equipment to a trailer.

That is just my preference though.

Apathy
01-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Pathy has pretty much summed things up but I would like to add that I prefer the lever load binders designed for using with chains. I prefer chains to straps when it comes to securing a vehicle or equipment to a trailer.

That is just my preference though.

I agree completely, however, you can buy 4 straps for the price of 1 binder.

4Lo
01-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Fair enough. [cheers]

Happypants
01-09-2010, 02:07 PM
jer pretty much summed it up right there, thats exactly what i do with my jeep when trailering,

UU
01-09-2010, 03:01 PM
also make sure you have enough tongue weight

fj401ton
01-09-2010, 03:30 PM
i always use chains/binders use a cheater bar to make sure they are tight, and to the axles

longhorn
01-09-2010, 03:52 PM
I tow almost every day and what Warlord said is MOST important ,or you will get going down a hill and the trailer will get to whipping.

I had a steel gravel box on a car trailer, I had it to far back on the trailer.
I got doing highway speed , first downhill I started down south of the 150 the trailer started whipping, it was picking the back end of my pickup up and jumping it over about 3 feet every time.

Very scarey when theres oncoming traffic.

They always say to put your foot in it when it gets doing that , but its pretty hard to step on the gas when your already out of control.

Apathy
01-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I tow almost every day and what Warlord said is MOST important ,or you will get going down a hill and the trailer will get to whipping.

I had a steel gravel box on a car trailer, I had it to far back on the trailer.
I got doing highway speed , first downhill I started down south of the 150 the trailer started whipping, it was picking the back end of my pickup up and jumping it over about 3 feet every time.

Very scarey when theres oncoming traffic.

They always say to put your foot in it when it gets doing that , but its pretty hard to step on the gas when your already out of control.
I'd shit my pants.

yes, tongue weight is very important. I played with my rig positio alot until i found the sweet spot.

don't want to overload the tongue, but have nough on it to keep everything in place.

Tunabomber
01-09-2010, 05:43 PM
also very important joe

dont forget to

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/mrtuna/IMG_0799.jpg

ahhhhhh much safer :D

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t83/mrtuna/IMG_0800.jpg

Happypants
01-09-2010, 06:17 PM
yes tounge weight is very important, another reason why i have them wooden ramps on my trailer, so i know how far to put the jeep on the trailer, as well as to keep from running over my fenders on my trailer

FU Toolbag
01-09-2010, 11:07 PM
I guage my tounge weight by the wheel spacing one the front. I know what it's like unloaded and just make sure it's about the same. It's kinda a dum way to check, but I never seam to have the same load on it. I've also had the negative tounge weight problem. Truck was all over the place. The wife thought I was screwing with her till she saw my face, then she dam near shit herself as well.

Maelthra
01-10-2010, 01:06 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Maelthra_Loner/Dodge%20W350/100_0138.jpg

I personally like to chain the axles outside the leafs and cross over to the other side. because my truck is so godamn long, I go forwards from the rear axle and backwards from the front, under the truck.

I don't have to chain the body, my suspension is stiff enough.

Pathy's advice is pretty much bang on, as already said.

stevem
01-10-2010, 01:25 AM
i belive in crossing chains,in theory its just better it cant move sise to side as easy,i used to chain just straight and never had an issue,just perfer to cross now.
i use chains and binders. chains dont stretch

Happypants
01-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Very true that chains don't stretch but there so damn expensive,

Apathy
01-10-2010, 06:01 AM
good point about crossing.

I don't cross my straps but they are at an angle to the corners of the trailer.

bakelite
01-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Good info guys, thanks very much. [cheers]

harvester_sorrow
01-10-2010, 08:41 PM
I prefer the cross method with chains and load binders. Use the cheater bar to get them tight, but don't let it swing and smash you in the head. I take the extra chain and loop it around the handle of the load binder to keep it from flying open, and keeps it from grinding down the road. If you want to get real professional you can put zap straps on the load binders to keep them from opening.

FU Toolbag
01-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Very true that chains don't stretch but there so damn expensive,

what do you mean. I see em all the time on the back of transports. Freeeeee......

Happypants
01-10-2010, 09:11 PM
what do you mean. I see em all the time on the back of transports. Freeeeee......

Hahahaha guess that works,

I cross my straps on the rear and hook them under the trailer but the front ones I don't, on long trips I add a extra strap on the front and suck the suspension down as well, I would like to get at least one binder just to take most of the tension, everytime I stop at the store or anywhere I always double check the straps,