PDA

View Full Version : Hot tub test

harvester_sorrow
01-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I wanted to test out my hot tub set up before I took it out camping. I headed out to make a fire and see how it worked. Just made a quickey small scale base to lay the tarp in because i was lazy. Only took 1.5 hours to get the water up to 34C. And the fire wasn't that hot yet because all the driftwood is still wet. I imagine it will just take longer to heat up in the full scale final tub.

The triple wind coil
The pump and battery
plenty of hose to place the tub where needed
The coil in action
The driftwood base
The temp after 1.5 hours
Then I got hungry
Pulled the coil out and built up the fire

'Balmer
01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Gotta love red-neck tubbin' in the winter!

bcmaxx
01-08-2010, 01:53 PM
how long will an average fully charged batt run the pump?

harvester_sorrow
01-08-2010, 02:11 PM
how long will an average fully charged batt run the pump?

this pump only draws 1.5-2 amps, so you could run it all weekend if needed off a good deep cycle. But its just a pos power fist pump and it says intermittent use only, so I will see how long it lasts. The better pumps run more like 7 amps.

Honky
01-08-2010, 02:23 PM
You need more copper. With that little copper it will take you most of the day to heat a tub...more copper the better. you are also better off to get a shurflow 2088 pump. Princess Auto has them on sale from time to time

Landlover
01-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Nice job, looks like a quick set-up too, no digging holes or nothing...

85_GMC_4x4
01-08-2010, 04:37 PM
You need more copper. With that little copper it will take you most of the day to heat a tub...more copper the better. you are also better off to get a shurflow 2088 pump. Princess Auto has them on sale from time to time

Agreed! You are going to be very dissapointed when you go full size if you don't add at least 3x as much coil. Remember, it's not just about heating the water, you also need to keep it hot. A tub 4x the size will take more than 4x longer to reach the same temp.

b0gd0g
01-08-2010, 06:22 PM
should prolly put teh coil right in the coals of the fire keeps it warm, and the more hose you got the more you loose the heat from the water before it reaches the tub. i used vise grips on the end of the hose to slow the water , the longer the water stays in the heat of the fire the hotter it gets, your tub will heat up faster that way too.

mus-Tard
01-08-2010, 07:39 PM
how come you didn't tell me you were doing this?

flipper
01-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Cool, I gotta make one of these.

Rubiconmike
01-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Here's ours.
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/Rubiconmike1/none047copy.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/Rubiconmike1/Nahatlachsep05033.jpg

Not as fast to set up.
and it take over five hrs to fill and heat.
Bigger is not always better.
________
VAPORIZER-INFO (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

Trooper
01-08-2010, 09:38 PM
What do you call a hot tub with all women in it?

Clam stew.

Couldnt help myself

muddy mud skipper
01-08-2010, 11:25 PM
sweet hot tube man

hamberger
01-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Like Honky said....more coil and suprisingly you get more heat if you put the coils "on top" of the fire rather than into the coals( you want flowing heat, not stagnant heat) Also I bring a couple of buckets to hand fill the tub a lot faster than relying on just the pump to fill.

ham

Happypants
01-09-2010, 12:45 AM
What do you call a hot tub with all women in it?

Clam stew.

Couldnt help myself

Bahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha

whazhappenin69
01-09-2010, 01:11 AM
love the tub....[cheers] gonna have to build me one.

SHITTY
01-09-2010, 12:22 PM
sweet tubs. try one of those inflatable kid tubs instead of the logs and tarp.

nfc
01-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Rubiconmike, how does your tub stay together and how small does it get for packing it around?

waggie
01-09-2010, 08:32 PM
sweet tubs. try one of those inflatable kid tubs instead of the logs and tarp.

you going to drag that damn pool to the bush.......... and then drag it all the way home?

pfftt..... (beer just came out of my nose) [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15]

harvester_sorrow
01-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Some good ideas here. I guess more copper is in order, that's all I had laying around. I was thinking about using an inflatable pool but drift wood was free. I just layed the coil on top and let it settle into the coals. I imagine I will have to upgrade the pump soon. Keep the ideas flowing, could help a lot of people.

jkgirl
01-10-2010, 09:08 PM
hahaha omg thats awsome!!!!

lincoln locked
01-11-2010, 10:39 AM
looks awsome i have never done anything like this but doesent the water curculate by itself by having the cold enter from the bottom and hot out the top ?

Honky
01-11-2010, 10:49 AM
you could do it that way if you had lots of time.

just remember the more copper the quicker your hot tub will heat.

Most of the kid pools will not work because when the water heats up the sides fall.

Don't over think it. Just drag over some logs and put *2* tarps down. You want the water to be TITS deep when you are sitting down.

Make sure the ground is flat and if you really want to get fancy put down a sheet of plywood.

one more thing. Keep over filling the water if you plan on using it for a couple of days....OR use bromine and shock to keep the water sanitized. If you don't it will be like sitting in a warm toilet.

Click here for some past tubs we made

http://www.funinbc.com/camping/hottubs/hottub.htm

http://www.funinbc.com/camping/hottubs/img/hottub.jpg

JACKNIFE
01-11-2010, 11:50 AM
decent thanks for all the ideas, will have to definatly build a tub one of these days

Honky
01-11-2010, 12:26 PM
In the picture above we made the palm trees out of ferns. cut slots at the top of the stick and place the ferns in. I guess we were board we even made a rock water fall in the corner of the tub for the water intake.

oh and those are wings cooking over the fire.

that was a fun camp!

SHITTY
01-11-2010, 05:43 PM
you going to drag that damn pool to the bush.......... and then drag it all the way home?

pfftt..... (beer just came out of my nose) [15] [15] [15] [15] [15] [15]

hope you didn't waste the beer[cheers]

ALiEn_OuT
01-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Like Honky said....more coil and suprisingly you get more heat if you put the coils "on top" of the fire rather than into the coals( you want flowing heat, not stagnant heat) Also I bring a couple of buckets to hand fill the tub a lot faster than relying on just the pump to fill.

What he said [iagree] ... If you put it in the coals they just seem to cool around the pipe and actually insulate it from the heat, on top is way better. Also I pretty much recommend using an entire 50ft copper coil although your pump may struggle with that distance it does make a huge difference in time. last thing, I found my pump went to fast so the water wasn't in the fire long enough to get real hot. I ended up buying this large ceramic dial from an electrical store that I put inline between the battery and pump. Then I can turn down the voltage to slow the pump, then the water comes out super hot and steamy. The tub heats up very fast ..also makes the battery last longer and pump stays cooler. Just a few tips I've learned over the past couple years ;)

deer laredo
01-18-2010, 01:35 AM
i run my tub off a generator and i pump straight outta the lake through the fire and into the tub. that way the tub is up to temp as soon as it fills up. then i runn it off a small 12v pump to keep the tub up to temp. if i forget chlorine i let the tub keep on filling and overflowing. the more coils the better

deer laredo
01-18-2010, 01:36 AM
and put a valve on the output to regulate the flow and keep the water in the fire longer

A6D9
01-18-2010, 07:26 AM
what about using an old radiator? for the coil in the fire?

would that work?

leftfield
01-18-2010, 06:15 PM
it would probably melt the solder on the rad, they are not meant to be put into the flamage.

85_GMC_4x4
01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
what about using an old radiator? for the coil in the fire?

would that work?

Great idea. However, I think the radiator would fail. Even with the copper, you must make sure water is circulating at all times. Otherwise you wreck the copper and put yourself in a dangerous situation (steam explosion).

I think your radiator fins would burn/melt off. Also, radiators are soldered... I would think the solder would melt if you wern't cafeful with it.

**Safety note**
Water must be circulating through your copper coils at all times. If water stops circulating (pump pickup gets clogged is the most common reason) be VERY cafeful when getting the water flowing again. The coils can get so hot that they cause the water to instantly turn into steam which can cause an explosion and/or nasty burns. Best bet is to take the coil out of the fire, let it cool for a few minutes, then get the water flowing again.

deer laredo
01-24-2010, 05:09 PM
An old rad would work best if you kept it in the vehicle and used the vehicle to heat the tub

mikeman20
01-29-2010, 06:08 PM
These tubs are awesome, i know what im going to build for my next camping trip